Draft Express: James White Impresses

Draft Express: James White Impresses

Postby JSM on Sun May 21, 2006 12:00 am

Draft Express--Flight White Skying up the Charts

If Marcus Williams of UConn was (and still somewhat is) the talk of the town last week, James White is the player who is generating the most amount of discussion these past few days. Most everyone we’ve spoken to--from all different camps and backgrounds—seem to be thinking that his stock is shooting the charts at the moment, to the point that they could see him end up in the 1st round, if he’s not there already.

Blessed with a fantastic 6-7 frame, super long arms and possibly the most explosive vertical leap in this draft crop, White is a player who was always going to turn some heads once he enters workouts. What’s standing out and surprising everyone who has seen him is how well he is shooting the ball from distance from the perimeter, as well as just how mature he is off the court. White has been dominant everywhere he’s been so far and was invited back to every single NBA team he has worked out for, which is not very common. With the buzz he’s generating he would be able to work out for the next 20 days straight if he pleased, but of course will not so in order to not break down towards the home stretch.

White is currently training for a few days with IMG's Joe Abunassar and Dan Barto at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles, where he is again drawing rave reviews for his skills and attitude. What’s scary is that the staff there claims he is nowhere near his full potential in terms of his where his body is at strength-wise, which means he might even test out better once his core strength and lower body are worked on.

Based off the feedback he’s getting, White is considering passing on the Orlando pre-draft camp altogether and focusing on a select number of teams drafting in the 1st round.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Draft Express: James White Impresses

Postby pureuncut100 on Sun May 21, 2006 10:12 pm

I would like to see the Lakers draft James White or Shawne Williams in the first round. I think they both fit a need on the Lakers squad. I think they are both less risky than many other players that may be available when the Lakers pick. Before White started working out for teams I was curious about him and it is good to hear he is doing well. At 23 (with 5 years of college) he is probably ready to contribute immediately. If Devean George goes then this guy would be a more than ample substitute.

As far as Shawne Williams, he is talented and young. His first workout will be with the Lakers. There is definitely interest there. I hope White or Williams is available when the Lakers pick.
pureuncut100

Postby flexxdzl on Sun May 21, 2006 10:18 pm

^^^^ Why..What would he do on this team?
flexxdzl

Postby halekulani on Sun May 21, 2006 11:02 pm

people hope shwane will replace devean and work his way into a starting position. this draft is so weak that most players will probably have careers off the bench.
halekulani

Postby eNlight on Sun May 21, 2006 11:03 pm

white can only dunk. 2 points is just 2 points. unless he's great like vince
eNlight

Postby pureuncut100 on Mon May 22, 2006 12:12 am

[quote="flexxdzl"]^^^^ Why..What would he do on this team?[/quote]

Much of "what would he do on this team" depends on where Lamar Odom plays and whether the Lakers decide to commit to Devean George. It also depends on where the Lakers use their mid level exemption. From what I have read, the Lakers are looking for a SF and a PG. I read that the Lakers are looking for pieces to make a very good team as opposed to hitting a home run through the draft and free agency.

I personally think the Lakers get rid of George, so that leaves Luke Walton at SF. Maybe Odom depending on where the Lakers decide to play him. There wont be much time for a backup to Kobe but still a backup is needed. At the 26th pick, what do you go for? Most say to take the best athlete. James White (maybe Carney) is the best athlete in the draft.

To answer the question, James White has the potential to be a great defender because of his length, quickness and athleticism. He is not only a dunker and has a good jumper. He is mature (23 years old) and we all know Phil Jackson doesnt like to play/develope young kids.
pureuncut100

Postby pureuncut100 on Mon May 22, 2006 12:16 am

[quote="eNlight"]white can only dunk. 2 points is just 2 points. unless he's great like vince[/quote]

You know man, there was a time when James White was only a dunker but I watched him play more than a few times the past two years and he has developed a good jump shot. In his workouts so far, he has impressed teams with his range and maturity.

I saw this guy in a dunk competition and he has more hops than any player I have ever seen. More than Jordan, Vince Carter, Dr. J. I havent seen him dunk in a game like Vince Carter but I have seen him do dunks that I have never seen before.
pureuncut100

Postby GCMD on Mon May 22, 2006 3:00 pm

I've been pro-JW before the season ended...

He's a BearCat.
He's a super athlete.
He can defend.
He's LOOONNG.

He'd also gives a little shotblocking...maybe some ShowTime also...
GCMD

Postby Sky on Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 pm

White has some skills. Not sold on Shawne Williams though. He can only play fullcourt. Finisher not a shooter, 41% floor, 31% 3. Not a good ballhandler or decision maker ATO ratio under 1. Final three tournament games he disappeared, only averaged 10 ppg.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 pm

Id love to get White if hes on the board, I think he would be an exciting player and at the same time fill some needs.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon May 22, 2006 10:46 pm

There was no question White's stock was going to go up the charts in workouts. No matter how poor or mediocre the players were at college, the intriguing combination of long arms, athleticism, a high vertical and/or blazing speed will always intrigue scouts. Hence the hype on uber-athletes such as Gerald Green, Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace.

However, James White is a special case. He never really capitalized at ALL during his five years at college (he was once a Florida Gator before he transferred). Normally a person with his kind of athleticism and physical gifts would only stay in college for no more than 2, maybe 3 years, but James White could not make the leap to the NBA until he was a senior.

A lot has to with that; he never really impressed as a college player at all, was not really a leader, more of an all-around role player type of guy at college. He never put up huge scoring numbers and certainly was never a superstar at college as well, and people are left wondering why that was the case. The fact that he couldn't break through as a college star, combined with his injuries and lack of great improvement, really made White a mid-2nd round pick by the time college was over. Of course, though, with these workouts, he is certainly bound to put himself back into perhaps the late 1st round bubble; there is always going to be a team that is going to fall for his athleticism.

White actually has a solid skill set and has polished his game as his college years progressed, improving his jumpshot (a 80% free throw shooter), showing decent versatility (especially with passing) and playing fairly good defense. He can really be a sleeper, undoubtedly, and find a niche as a possible role player in this league. And if the ice breaks for him, he may have that slim chance of being either a super role player or even a possible star. He certainly looks the part of the NBA prototype and that alone will get him looks. If it weren't for his freakish athleticism, we probably wouldn't even be talking about much of an NBA prospect.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby GCMD on Tue May 23, 2006 2:55 am

rydjorker121 wrote:There was no question White's stock was going to go up the charts in workouts. No matter how poor or mediocre the players were at college, the intriguing combination of long arms, athleticism, a high vertical and/or blazing speed will always intrigue scouts. Hence the hype on uber-athletes such as Gerald Green, Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace.

However, James White is a special case. He never really capitalized at ALL during his five years at college (he was once a Florida Gator before he transferred). Normally a person with his kind of athleticism and physical gifts would only stay in college for no more than 2, maybe 3 years, but James White could not make the leap to the NBA until he was a senior.

A lot has to with that; he never really impressed as a college player at all, was not really a leader, more of an all-around role player type of guy at college. He never put up huge scoring numbers and certainly was never a superstar at college as well, and people are left wondering why that was the case. The fact that he couldn't break through as a college star, combined with his injuries and lack of great improvement, really made White a mid-2nd round pick by the time college was over. Of course, though, with these workouts, he is certainly bound to put himself back into perhaps the late 1st round bubble; there is always going to be a team that is going to fall for his athleticism.

White actually has a solid skill set and has polished his game as his college years progressed, improving his jumpshot (a 80% free throw shooter), showing decent versatility (especially with passing) and playing fairly good defense. He can really be a sleeper, undoubtedly, and find a niche as a possible role player in this league. And if the ice breaks for him, he may have that slim chance of being either a super role player or even a possible star. He certainly looks the part of the NBA prototype and that alone will get him looks. If it weren't for his freakish athleticism, we probably wouldn't even be talking about much of an NBA prospect.

Pretty much dead on except for the fact that you didn't correct for the lack of offensive emphasis in Bob Huggins' gameplan...

Cincy is (or was) a defense first team...much like Larry Brown, they wanted to stop you from scoring more than they wanted to outscore you...

They have has some guards that could fill it up but they were almost ALWAYS held in check by Huggins...

I do agree that James White should have made more progress in his game but I also think he's good clay...if not late 1st round (depending if Rajon/Diaz/Sergio are around) definitely worth trading up and taking in the early 2nd round...
GCMD

Postby pureuncut100 on Tue May 23, 2006 7:38 am

One way to tell if a player is going to be good or at least better than in college is to try and project that player in a more wide open game, such as the NBA.

Players like Latrell Sprewell and Gerald Wallace played much better in the NBA than in college. I think the same will go for James White. Whites talents are not suited for the NCAA compared to the NBA. I mean a good scoring average for a college team is 70ppg. White is fast as hell, quick as hell, and could jump out of the gym. Imagine him on a team that scored 100ppg in an open offense.

You always have to compare what a player did in college to what you think he could do in a league that does not include a real zone and that does include illegal defense.
pureuncut100

Postby GCMD on Tue May 23, 2006 2:27 pm

pureuncut100 wrote:One way to tell if a player is going to be good or at least better than in college is to try and project that player in a more wide open game, such as the NBA.

Players like Latrell Sprewell and Gerald Wallace played much better in the NBA than in college. I think the same will go for James White. Whites talents are not suited for the NCAA compared to the NBA. I mean a good scoring average for a college team is 70ppg. White is fast as hell, quick as hell, and could jump out of the gym. Imagine him on a team that scored 100ppg in an open offense.

You always have to compare what a player did in college to what you think he could do in a league that does not include a real zone and that does include illegal defense.

Vince Carter is a prime example of this...

Everybody thought that Jamison was going to be the superstar...

Boy were they wrong...

In the right situation and with the right coach, he could turn into a pretty good player...

Is this the right situation...?
Is Phil the right coach?

I don't know...
GCMD

Postby D Nice on Tue May 23, 2006 2:31 pm

I've been saying White or Shawne Williams or Marcus williams (AZ) the entire time.
D Nice

Return to NBA 2014 Draft