Draft Express: Thabeet a Lock at Two?

Draft Express: Thabeet a Lock at Two?

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express wrote:Virtually every team we’re speaking to right now has Hasheem Thabeet slated to be picked second by the Grizzlies. Memphis’ entire front-office met with owner Michael Heisley yesterday at his house to go through all the various possibilities for tomorrow night’s draft, and came to the conclusion that barring a trade, they will select Thabeet with the #2 pick.

We asked Thabeet about his decision to decline his workout in Memphis at the Media session in New York today. After a long and awkward pause, here is what he had to say:

"I didn’t…I haven’t…I mean I couldn't reschedule because the schedule was kinda you know...I couldn't work out early like I was supposed to like everyone else because I had hyper-extended my shoulder working out. Later on when I was scheduled to go to Memphis I found out my visa had expired so I had to get to New York as soon as possible to get it done on Monday morning or I would be deported. So I had to get out here as soon as possible."

In regards to not wanting to play in Memphis:

"That's not accurate at all. To me this is a blessing to be in this position wherever I am to play basketball; wherever I end up I'll be happy. I'm just happy to be in this position. Whoever drafts me, I’ll be happy to go there."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft