? Evan Burns ?

? Evan Burns ?

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri May 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Anyone know what happened to him? I remember him suffering a knee injury but don't know if he's recovered.

When I saw him play in the state championship playoffs, he controlled games the way LeBron did. No bull. He seemed to do whatever he wanted out there. Most impressively, at 6-8 he handled and passed the ball like a small pg and would lead the break. Everytime he did, the crowds would stand in anticipation of a soaring, sick dunk.

Well, I've watched a helluva lot of high school basketball in L.A. for a lot of years, but I'd never seen a player his size, strength and length do things with the basketball the way he did. First comparison athletically would be someone like Gerald Green. Burns is/was ABSOLUTELY an athletic freak. I remember him also having a nice looking jumper.

Ry, Sky, anybody know what ever became of Evan Burns? If he's healthy, is he someone we could sneak onto our SPL squad? It would be exciting. He was consistently a highlight waiting to happen.

http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/EvanBurns.html
Alleyhoops

Postby banks38 on Fri May 26, 2006 6:14 pm

I know that he was supposed to go to UCLA, but he could cut it academically so they took away his scholarship....Im pretty sure he went to SDSU after this, but he got hurt and just played this past year. However, he was great before UCLA and wouldnt be bad to see as an experiment during the SPL.
banks38

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri May 26, 2006 6:15 pm

I don't know much about him, but after doing some research, it seems that he rushed entering the draft due to his bad grades (and later his injury), and that ultimately led to him being undrafted.

After his soap opera with UCLA, Burns wound up at San Diego State and since then, he has been forgotten. The athletic wing didn’t look like the high school player that considered making the jump to the league he once was. But now that he has tasted college basketball, it is ultimately up to Burns to determine what he wants to do with his future. After getting into a scoring duel with New Mexico’s Ruben Douglas last year, (Burns had 31 while Douglas dropped 43), the freshman started to put it all together. He needs more challenges and doesn’t get enough in the Mountain West.

In evaluating some of this season's top underclassmen who are still weighing their NBA draft options, it's important to recall the story of Evan Burns. Burns was a 6-foot-8 wing who was a surefire NBA three-man. In fact, he was rated ahead of Carmelo Anthony (and behind Lenny Cooke, who has a similar tale of woe) by several high school scouting services.

Burns originally was planning to attend UCLA, but he needed to take some summer school classes to complete his core requirements to get eligible. Midway through the summer, he decided that UCLA expected too much of him academically, so he enrolled at San Diego State.

Burns became the freshman of the year in the Mountain West Conference -- and he wasn't even a starter for most of the year. He poured in 32 points against future NBA first-round pick Danny Granger and New Mexico.

With his grades in disarray, though, he began working on making the jump to the NBA. But after tearing his ACL in the spring and then flunking out of school by summer, Burns was left to rehab his injury on his own. He decided to take a year off and enter the draft in 2004, but he still wasn't ready and ended up in the 2005 draft, where he went unselected.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Alleyhoops on Fri May 26, 2006 6:21 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:I don't know much about him, but after doing some research, it seems that he rushed entering the draft due to his bad grades (and later his injury), and that ultimately led to him being undrafted.

After his soap opera with UCLA, Burns wound up at San Diego State and since then, he has been forgotten. The athletic wing didn’t look like the high school player that considered making the jump to the league he once was. But now that he has tasted college basketball, it is ultimately up to Burns to determine what he wants to do with his future. After getting into a scoring duel with New Mexico’s Ruben Douglas last year, (Burns had 31 while Douglas dropped 43), the freshman started to put it all together. He needs more challenges and doesn’t get enough in the Mountain West.

In evaluating some of this season's top underclassmen who are still weighing their NBA draft options, it's important to recall the story of Evan Burns. Burns was a 6-foot-8 wing who was a surefire NBA three-man. In fact, he was rated ahead of Carmelo Anthony (and behind Lenny Cooke, who has a similar tale of woe) by several high school scouting services.

Burns originally was planning to attend UCLA, but he needed to take some summer school classes to complete his core requirements to get eligible. Midway through the summer, he decided that UCLA expected too much of him academically, so he enrolled at San Diego State.

Burns became the freshman of the year in the Mountain West Conference -- and he wasn't even a starter for most of the year. He poured in 32 points against future NBA first-round pick Danny Granger and New Mexico.

With his grades in disarray, though, he began working on making the jump to the NBA. But after tearing his ACL in the spring and then flunking out of school by summer, Burns was left to rehab his injury on his own. He decided to take a year off and enter the draft in 2004, but he still wasn't ready and ended up in the 2005 draft, where he went unselected.

Whoa. Great finds as always, Ry. Amazing stuff. Burns had superstar written all over him. Wonder if he's healthy? Mitch, doesn't hurt to make a call...
Alleyhoops

Postby bb7793 on Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 pm

I recall someone telling me he was giving it a go in the CBA I think? Whatever league that was playing games at teh forum. Toby Bailey and Charles O'bannon were on the L.a. team
bb7793

Return to NBA 2014 Draft