Gibson To Declare For NBA Draft

Gibson To Declare For NBA Draft

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:10 am

Draft Express: Texas Sophomore Daniel Gibson is tentatively expected to announce his intentions to enter the NBA draft on Tuesday, according to sources in Texas.

Gibson’s situation is quite murky from what we’ve been told. Numerous sources in Texas have told us that there is a clear conflict between what he sees his role at Texas being next year and what the coaching staff sees. The heart of the issue is whether or not Gibson will be able to play his position at the next level, point guard. Gibson was given numerous opportunities both this season and last to show that he can handle the playmaking duties for Texas, but did not manage to live up to expectations in terms of running his team and keeping everyone happy. To make matters even more interesting, Texas has recruited a McDonald’s All-American point guard in DJ Augustin-- considered a pure playmaker that makes everyone around him better.

It’s unclear at this point whether or not Gibson will hire an agent. Despite being projected by some as a top 5 pick early on in the year, NBA scouts we talked to this season consider him a 2nd round pick at best at this point, with a chance at even going undrafted.

If Lakers could snatch him up in the second round :man13:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby halekulani on Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:54 am

i'd probably use miami's pick on him.
halekulani

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:54 am

I see him being the Jameer Nelson of this year's draft. The PG who slips into the late first round toearly second round that all the teams somehow forget about. He'll be a steal for someone.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby jminges on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Smart decision. He wouldn't make it out of the first round next year.
Image. LETS GO LA!!!
jminges

Postby Still A Dynasty on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:14 pm

if he is there when we are on the board, which he should be, we HAVE to take him. Before this year he was a top 5 pick. Tucker and Aldridge got all the attention but Gibson is still a hell of a playa
Still A Dynasty

Postby Massacre on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 pm

halekulani wrote:i'd probably use miami's pick on him.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby D Nice on Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:29 pm

If he's still available with the Miami Pick I'd LOVE to snag him. He can shoot and get to the rim, and is certainly a better defender than Smush. Decision making needs to be worked on, but I doubt he falls to us anyway. He'll be a mid 1st pick after workouts.

I like the Jameer Nelson comparisons. Nelson has a big more court sense, but they are similar players otherwise
D Nice

Postby halekulani on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:50 pm

he has the potential to be a good defender

keep in mind smush was locking down people in the summer league.
defense is something that doesn't directly transfer well with the guards. the game is much much quicker at the nba level.

freakin a though. i wish we had delonte west.
halekulani

Postby live and die in LA on Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:31 pm

he really should stay one more year to work on his point guard skills, but i would still take him with the miami pick.
live and die in LA

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:16 pm

He SERIOUSLY needs to return to school.

I realize everyone thought he was a PG when he took Texas by storm as a freshman, but he severely regressed his sophomore year and showed that he had more of a shooting guard mentality, as his talented big man LaMarcus Aldridge didn't always have the most consistent touches. Gibson had a huge part in Texas losing a couple of chippies as well. He's not a natural scorer but he scores within the flow, it's more that his decision making was pitiful his sophomore year. That really damaged his stock considering all the hype he got early on, and he could really suffer a Mustafa Shakur-like stock drop if he decides to enter the draft this year. He can very well go undrafted if teams try to shy away from players who have regressed.

I'd project him as a #35-42 pick right now, living off the hype he's received, considering how deep the draft is. He needs to return to school next year to develop his PG skills and refine his game.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA 2014 Draft