Iowa State's backcourt entering draft

Iowa State's backcourt entering draft

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:39 pm

SI: Iowa State will have a new backcourt next season after Curtis Stinson and Will Blalock announced Wednesday they are entering the NBA draft.

The junior guards both earned all-Big 12 honors last season after leading the Cyclones to a 16-14 record.

Last month, Stinson said he would remain with the Cyclones and also speculated that Blalock would also likely stay for his senior season.

Stinson, who was picked for the all-Big 12 second team for the second straight year, said he's going pro so he can take better care of his family.

"It has been a great ride and I will never forget everybody who has helped me out,'' said Stinson, who averaged 19.4 points this season. "Coach (Wayne) Morgan gave me this opportunity. I was not recruited very heavily out of high school.''

Blalock's mother, Sheila, said Wednesday night that her son does not plan to sign with an agent, leaving open the possibility he might return next season.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:39 am

Blalock would be a great get for the Lakers with their second round pick. His wingspan and quickness make him a great defender and he has the vision and passing ability of a true PG. He'd be our third stringer, but developing him would pay great dividends in a year or two.

Needs to work on his jumper, but I'd love to have him.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby halekulani on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:28 am

curtis stinson's numbers have all increased across the board this year.
halekulani

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:58 am

Oh yea, Stinson is a great player, but I like Blalock more for his wingspan and quickness, which would hopefully lead to better defense.

Knowing our organization, though, they're looking into Stinson as a PG. You know, the "big triangle PG like Ron Harper"
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Yeah, as Pbhatta said, I am higher on Blalock than Stinson. Blalock has a 6'5" wingspan, is a legitimate PG, has blazing speed, and can attack the basket fairly well and scorer for himself. He's a tough PG at 6'0" and 205 lbs, built like a rock. Of course, he doesn't have the ideal Phil PG height, but I value all other aspects of his game besides his height. Unfortunately, we don't have an early-to-mid 2nd round pick, which is where he should go if he enters.

As for Stinson, I project him as more of a late 2nd rounder type. Yes, Phil might try to convert Stinson to a PG, but that won't work. Stinson not only lacks true PG skills, although he does have some scoring and passing mix-and-match ability, but he also lacks a jumpshot. His jumpshot is erratic and inconsistent all the way, and he mainly relies on brute strength to attack the basket. He's somewhat of a SF in a PG's body, to an extent, and he's older than the average junior so his potential is in question. I would take if we had a #55 to #60 pick, but we don't.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Smallz on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:06 pm

yep...you guys have it right on the money. blalock's college game translates to the NBA level far better than stinson's does. i think that will should end up a decent player at the next level, but i stinson will bust. he doesnt have the ball handling or quickness to play PG and he's too small and lacks a good enough outside shot to play SG.

blalock is a better shooter, defender, passer, and has much better ball handling skills. stinson reminds me a lot of a poor mans mateen cleeves. he has the ability to take over a college game but he wont be able to do that in the NBA.

also, the rumors i hear is that blalock will come back for his senior year if he cant get a first round guarantee. i dont know that its all that likely that he can work his way up there, so i'm not sure id count on him being there in the 2nd round. stinson, however, is going pro for sure.
Smallz

Return to NBA 2014 Draft