James White to LA at #26?

James White to LA at #26?

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:06 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1366

Well...if he really shot the lights out and made that much of an impression...I would probably give it a bite. White always had the tools and quite frankly, the skill set, he's just never gotten it together in college. Wasn't even a college star. However, it seems like the light bulb has turned on for him, and hopefully, it will stay on...and if so, he can be one heck of a prospect and perhaps even a steal.

As the article stated, he already has a lot of the Triangle qualities--passing, ballhandling, experience, even shooting to an extent--and then some with his freakish athleticism. He may not be a bad choice at all if he manages a way to be consistent, and Mitch finally drafts someone who is really athletically superior.

The same could be said with the Cavs, who are looking at Daniel Gibson at the 25th pick. Gibson's really deep in the 2nd round in most mocks, but as long as players fill a need, it just goes to show that they can make it to the first round. Like White, however, Gibson is also naturally talented and blessed with shooting ability and athleticism.

The Lakers also worked out Joel Freeland, Dan Grunfeld and an unnamed big man. Nice to see that they've worked out Freeland.

These were my past opinions about James White, btw:

rydjorker121 wrote:White's a naturally unselfish player, but he's not a full-time point guard. He can handle the ball on the perimeter and pass the ball, but lacks the ability to create consistently for others. Nonetheless, though, his passing ability and relative versatility should be a key factor in determining his place in the draft.

White's probably an early 2nd round pick; if we choose to trade down for a couple of picks, we could nab him with one of them. Gives us the athleticism and the relative versatility we need.

And for my past in-depth analysis on White, here it is:

rydjorker121 wrote:There was no question White's stock was going to go up the charts in workouts. No matter how poor or mediocre the players were at college, the intriguing combination of long arms, athleticism, a high vertical and/or blazing speed will always intrigue scouts. Hence the hype on uber-athletes such as Gerald Green, Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace.

However, James White is a special case. He never really capitalized at ALL during his five years at college (he was once a Florida Gator before he transferred). Normally a person with his kind of athleticism and physical gifts would only stay in college for no more than 2, maybe 3 years, but James White could not make the leap to the NBA until he was a senior.

A lot has to with that; he never really impressed as a college player at all, was not really a leader, more of an all-around role player type of guy at college. He never put up huge scoring numbers and certainly was never a superstar at college as well, and people are left wondering why that was the case. The fact that he couldn't break through as a college star, combined with his injuries and lack of great improvement, really made White a mid-2nd round pick by the time college was over. Of course, though, with these workouts, he is certainly bound to put himself back into perhaps the late 1st round bubble; there is always going to be a team that is going to fall for his athleticism.

White actually has a solid skill set and has polished his game as his college years progressed, improving his jumpshot (a 80% free throw shooter), showing decent versatility (especially with passing) and playing fairly good defense. He can really be a sleeper, undoubtedly, and find a niche as a possible role player in this league. And if the ice breaks for him, he may have that slim chance of being either a super role player or even a possible star. He certainly looks the part of the NBA prototype and that alone will get him looks. If it weren't for his freakish athleticism, we probably wouldn't even be talking about much of an NBA prospect.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Black Mamba on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Well, if a guy has athletic as that "shot the lights out" from 3s, I'm not sure I like the idea of Draft Express reporting this for everyone to read. Hopefully, he's still there at 26.
Black Mamba

Postby Freakout on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Hassan Adams was scheduled for today as well but supposedly he fractured his ankle.
Freakout

Postby ZenMaster4President on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:51 pm

From that mix on DraftExpress I got the impression that he is very athletic, but what struck me the most is that his running ( due to his legs structure and running style, if it makes sense ) is very reminiscent of that of Pippen.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby GCMD on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:04 pm

old news...

I was one of the only people here who thought JW was first round material...thanks for joining me.
GCMD

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:28 am

Man I dunno bout this one. We could maybe trade down and still pick White.

Great athlete but that means nothing unless you learn to capitalize and take advantage of it. I would rather have Shannon Brown or Quincy Douby.

thankx for sharng tho

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby RHCP on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 am

His game sounds a lot like Smush Parkers. Athletic, with a decent jumpshot.
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:44 am

RHCP wrote:His game sounds a lot like Smush Parkers. Athletic, with a decent jumpshot.

He is not as good as Smush finishing around the rim or even shooting the 3 ball. His defense is better tho. He has out of this world athleticim what also kinda makes him injury prone. He is very inconsistent.

in other words? no thanks, not close to a first rounder.
Last edited by KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KB24
Site Admin

Re: James White to LA at #26?

Postby Showtime08 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:20 am

Is White fast enough to stay with the quick point guards on defense?
Showtime08

Re: James White to LA at #26?

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:21 am

Showtime08 wrote:Is White fast enough to stay with the quick point guards on defense?

I think he would be able to defend them but not full-time.

My problem with White is that he is a guy for the open court. Not exactly a half court player. Is very inconsistent and weak. Doesn´t like physical game, doesn´t like to drive in traffic or try to get the contact. IMO he is worth the 35th pick.

Shannon Brown >>>> White
Last edited by KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby jBL on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:29 am

I think he's early 2nd round player. We could maybe pick up a veteran + early 2nd round pick for our 26th.
jBL

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:51 am

Its looking a lot like if we still pick at 26, hes our guy. Supposedly Buss attended his 2nd workout, he shot the lights out and impressed with the athletecism.

If he can put it all together, I think this is a terrific pick for the future. Hes got the handles to play 1 in the triangle, extremely marketable (shoe companies are already after him), very good perimeter defense, and a good jumper. I can see Phil loving a kid like this, he just needs to start doing things consistently. He has all the physical tools to go lottery.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby live and die in LA on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:46 am

oh what do ya know, look who draftexpress has us picking now.

seems like a good pick, he is definitely an exciting player. You wonder how he didnt dominate in college with that athletic ability. At worst atleast we would have someone to put in the dunk contest :man1:
live and die in LA

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:06 am

I think he'll become a pretty good defender,like Andre.If he's quick enough he can beat people to spots and can shutdown passing lanes with his long stature.Than on the break.....wow....
Azndude2190

Postby Flatlyner on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:39 am

It is looking more and more like this is our guy if we stay at #26. I'd be pleased if we could somehow manage to get a early second and pick him up instead and use #26 for a big. But, I'm starting to be intrigued by this White kid.
Flatlyner

Postby Lake Town Shaker on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:53 am

There is something that genuinly concerns me about White. I can't put my finger on it, but everything about him screams "fools gold" to me. For example, he obviously can jump out of the gym, but at the same time his legs look weak to me. This should remind us of Smush Parker, who can also jump but has a weak lower body that hindered his play, especially on defense. Then of course there is this whole issue of him doing more or less nothing in his college career... Not that that matters at all right? Lastly, I remember reading on slamonline.com something about him that really suprised me. Lang Whitaker was talking to David Lee, the Knick rookie forward and White's former teammate at Florida. Lee said that White never took showers... He would come back from practice and fall asleep in his workout clothes with his head phones on every day. Take that for what you want, but it sounded wierd to me. Lee basically said that White was just a wierd cat like that.

Hey, I suppose I wouldn't mind this guy in the 2nd round though. But even then, doesn't that cancel out the Wafer pick from last year?
Lake Town Shaker

Postby flexxdzl on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:31 am

The part that got me was we it was reported that mitch and phil were on the radio looking for a athletic wing who can defend and shoot the 3...

Isn't that Odom's position? it leads me now to believe that odom will play the 4 this year and lose his wing position
flexxdzl

Postby Flatlyner on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 am

flexxdzl wrote:The part that got me was we it was reported that mitch and phil were on the radio looking for a athletic wing who can defend and shoot the 3...

Isn't that Odom's position? it leads me now to believe that odom will play the 4 this year and lose his wing position

Or get traded.... :man6:
Flatlyner

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:22 am

I would be excited if we picked white with our 26th pick
athletic guy who can dunk and shoot :jam2:
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby hype on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:32 am

Lake Town Shaker wrote:Lee said that White never took showers... He would come back from practice and fall asleep in his workout clothes with his head phones on every day. ?

:man10: :man10:
hype

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:39 am

Lake Town Shaker wrote:There is something that genuinly concerns me about White. I can't put my finger on it, but everything about him screams "fools gold" to me. For example, he obviously can jump out of the gym, but at the same time his legs look weak to me. This should remind us of Smush Parker, who can also jump but has a weak lower body that hindered his play, especially on defense. Then of course there is this whole issue of him doing more or less nothing in his college career... Not that that matters at all right? Lastly, I remember reading on slamonline.com something about him that really suprised me. Lang Whitaker was talking to David Lee, the Knick rookie forward and White's former teammate at Florida. Lee said that White never took showers... He would come back from practice and fall asleep in his workout clothes with his head phones on every day. Take that for what you want, but it sounded wierd to me. Lee basically said that White was just a wierd cat like that.

Hey, I suppose I wouldn't mind this guy in the 2nd round though. But even then, doesn't that cancel out the Wafer pick from last year?

Hmm...a weirdo. No wonder Mitch is interested in him!
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:42 am

YAHOO SCOUTING REPORT

SCOUTING REPORT: White declared for the 2005 NBA draft, after averaging 10.2 points as a junior, but withdrew when he did not get a first-round guarantee. He enjoyed a solid senior season, averaging 16.3 points and 5.1 rebounds while shooting 49 percent from the field. White, who transferred from Florida after his freshman season, is extremely athletic and also was on Florida's track and field team. He often was able to dominate opponents with his athleticism, but White's jumper is questionable and he is not physically strong. White, though, grew more confident on the perimeter and he made 37 percent of his 3-point shots. He is also a good foul shooter, shooting 78 percent for his career. White is a solid ball handler and sometimes brought the ball up the floor for the Bearcats. He also led the Bearcats in assists his sophomore and junior seasons. White scored a career-high 32 points his senior season against Syracuse, making 5 of 10 from 3-point range. White seems to shy away from contact and did not add much muscle mass to his lean frame. Consistency has always been a knock on White, but he did score 15 or more points in 23 of 33 games last season. White has enough skills to battle for a roster spot at the end of a bench in the NBA or to star overseas but he is a late second-round pick at best.

Updated on Tuesday, Jun

well at least one scouting report that agrees with me. :mhihi:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 am

his body reminds me of Kobe's, Kobe to shyed away from contact....
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7

Postby KB24 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:01 am

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:his body reminds me of Kobe's, Kobe to shyed away from contact....

He was 17 not 24

KB24
Site Admin

Postby ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:53 am

KB8@CL wrote:
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:his body reminds me of Kobe's, Kobe to shyed away from contact....

He was 17 not 24

yeah, you're right.....
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft