James White at the point????

James White at the point????

Postby kobesbro on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:27 pm

The lakers should draft James white but can he play the point ???? Who do u think they should draft with the first and second picks
kobesbro

Postby pureuncut100 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:23 pm

I keep reading that James White has the ability to play the point and he keeps saying he could play the point. I certainly believes he could defend the point (he is the fastest most athletic player in the draft, dont know how quick he is).

I think a lot of people got the role of Lamar Odom wrong. Odom isnt Scottie Pippen, Odom is more the Toni Kukoc role. Odom isnt the lock down defender Pip was and defense is what made Pippen great. Odom is Kukoc. I really see James White as being more Pippen in the Lakers system and I know that is what Phil Jackson is thinking, hince a second workout on June 23 (5 days before the draft). The guy is said to be a lock down defender in college and word is he was a lock down defender in every workout. Why a second workout for a guy that wont be around in the second round when the Lakers pick?

Without decent workouts, there is no way the Lakers pick James White. With great workouts, I think the Lakers buck the system.

1st round: James White
2nd Round: Kevin Pittsnogle/Leon Powe (whoever is available).

In the second round, dont be surprised if the Lakers take a total project. Phil Jackson doesnt really want the team to get a lot younger. Another reason why James White would catch PJs eye, he is 23 years old.
pureuncut100

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:28 pm

any truth 2 any of this? never really watched him play
Code: Select all
NBA Comparison: Maurice Evans

Strengths: Blessed with world class athleticism/leaping ability ... Gets up with the best of them ... Very good quickness, and good first step ... Has experience after staying in college all four years ... An underrated passer, he's got good vision and plays unselfish ... Handles the ball well, at times bringing the ball up for the Bearcats ... A good defender on the perimeter with his long arms and quickness ...

Weaknesses: Still very raw. Jump shot and handle need refinement ... Has not shown the ability to add much strength to his frame ... Cannot handle contact, and rarely gets dunks in traffic ... Needs to get much stronger, improve defensively, gain consistency. Has not broken into the top notch college player that many expected ... Has a tough time with consistency and assertiveness ... Why he hasn't broken into a dominant player is anyone's guess, he has the talent, just hasn't put it together...
PurpleNGold1

Postby pureuncut100 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:35 pm

PurpleNGold1,
That profile is correct for the most part except, Whites jumper has improved. He has a good jumper. Also, it is understated how good an athlete he is. His hops are better than any basketball player I have ever seen, Unbelieveable. Go to YOuTube, type in James white and see for yourself.
pureuncut100

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:40 am

i like james white. and he could be there at 26. great athlete, pretty solid skills, good size for 1/2/3. versatile. i'll take him.
abeer3

Postby Flatlyner on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:26 am

We don't need another Wafer in the first round...
Flatlyner

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:47 am

Flatlyner wrote:We don't need another Wafer in the first round...

ya White is also raw.
Last edited by KB24 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby abeer3 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:00 pm

not even in the same league.
abeer3

Postby MarkMadsen on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:14 pm

just admit it, you guys just want him cause he can dunk.
MarkMadsen

Postby Flatlyner on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:19 pm

abeer3 wrote:

not even in the same league.

Perhaps, but don't kid yourself into thinking he wouldn't be a project. Yes he has out of the world athleticism, however, that doesn't make him a great player. See Harold Minor.. :mhihi: :mhihi: :mhihi:
Flatlyner

Postby rydjorker121 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:39 pm

White's a naturally unselfish player, but he's not a full-time point guard. He can handle the ball on the perimeter and pass the ball, but lacks the ability to create consistently for others. Nonetheless, though, his passing ability and relative versatility should be a key factor in determining his place in the draft.

White's probably an early 2nd round pick; if we choose to trade down for a couple of picks, we could nab him with one of them. Gives us the athleticism and the relative versatility we need.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA 2014 Draft