James White: "I think I'm a first-round guy"

James White: "I think I'm a first-round guy"

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 am

James White: "I think I'm a first-round guy"
by Jorge Sierra / May 22, 2006

This is your second year going through the workouts and all the draft process. How much did going through that experience help you during your last season in college?

James White: That helped me a lot. Last year when I declared I only had two workouts. I had one with the Knicks and one with the Chicago Bulls. But even those two helped me a lot – just going through all those drills and knowing how hard I had to work and knowing what it takes. All that prepared me for this year and for the season with Cincinnati. That really got me ready.

How much more ready for the NBA do you feel this year compared to last year?

JW: A lot more ready. Maybe 80 percent more ready because I've worked harder than ever. I learned that I had to work real hard to get really prepared. I have a lot of friends at the NBA level and they tell me this process is all about hard work.

How would you rate your last season at Cincinnati?

JW: I think I had a very good year. I started off very well and I feel I was more consistent. I just tried to stay consistent and do the things that allow me to have a good game. I have a couple of setbacks with injuries and things like that. But I think I had a very good year.

Being suspended for the last games of the season with your team... Did that leave you with a bitter taste about the whole experience at Cincinnati?

JW: Definitely. But because of that, I learned a lesson: 'You have to take care of your business'. That really taught me a lesson. I didn't do all the things I had to do academic-side. Even though that situation was bad for me, I think it helped me because I learned something from it.

Things are apparently going well for you in workouts, right?

JW: Yes, things are going well. So far, I have to say that, yeah, things are going pretty well.

Are you showing anything in those workouts that NBA teams hadn't seen before?

JW: I think there was something out there about me that I was just a good athlete. But I think I shoot the ball better than I'm given credit for. I've worked a lot on that. I think I shot the ball better this season in college. Right now, my game is pretty well rounded and I think I've surprised people a little bit with that.

Have you made a decision about going to the pre-draft camp in Orlando or not?

JW: Right now, I'm not sure yet. I gotta be consistent in the workouts and then we'll see. So far... I don't know.

What's the strangest question you've been asked in the interviews with NBA teams?

JW: Most of the questions are about why I transferred from Florida to Cincinnati. Or maybe about how I adjusted to playing under Bob Huggins. And questions to get to know you... Personality-wise. You know, that type of questions. You get a lot of character questions.

What do you think will be your natural position in the NBA?

JW: I think my natural position will be the two, but hopefully I'll get a chance at the one. And if I get stronger, maybe I can play the three more. But mostly, I think it will be the two.

You apparently have a lot problems gaining weight. Do you think strength (or the lack of it) may be an issue for you in the NBA?

JW: I don't think it will be much of an issue. I can't gain a lot of weight... But for my size, I think I'm a pretty strong guy. I don't think it will be an issue. I just have to play with the way I am and I'll be getting stronger every year. I just have to roll with the body I got and play. And I don't think weight or strength will be an issue.

What would you say to all those people who think James White is just a dunker, just a guy that jumps a lot?

JW: I think I'm one of the most versatile players in the draft. I'm an all-around player, a guy that can do a lot of different things. I'm a guy who takes pride on his defense most of all. I think that's my game.

Do you feel you have a good chance to go in the first round? And if you're not selected in the first round, would you be disappointed about it?

JW: I'd probably be disappointed if I don't go in the first round. I think I have a good chance to go in the first round. But, you know, if there's anything I can do to increase my stock, I'm going to do it. I mean, I just got to do my best in the workouts. And if I match up with guys that are in the first round, I have to outperform them. I think I'm a first-round guy. I think I belong in the first round. But overall, you know, I just want to be in the league. And once I'm in the league, hopefully stay there. Just make the best of my opportunity.

Did you ever consider making a living as a track and field athlete instead of as a basketball player?

JW: I did consider that. That's something I still consider. Not just long jump, but also 200 (meters)... Maybe high jump. But that's down the road. Basketball is the game I love and track and field is just a thing on the side because I'm really good at it and I enjoy it. But basketball is the game I love... Maybe when my future is set in the NBA... Maybe then I can try my hand on that.
User avatar
The Kobe Era 2K5

 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:49 am

Postby GCMD on Wed May 24, 2006 9:29 am

And I think I'm the only guy here who agrees (though I'm biased being a Big BearCats fan)...


I think he's a guy that will be a solid player if he lands in the right situation...


Some of the things he said makes me think that he is shooting for the Lakers...talking about playing PG? @ 6'7, 6'8?


I don't know about that statement but if he's working out with the Lakers, I'd say he needs to REALLY shoot the 3 well and compete HARD on the defensive end...

He also needs to show that he can run the triangle sets and pick it up pretty quickly...I'd suggest that watch some of the tapes of the games at the end of the season and practice the BASICS of the triangle with his trainer before he gets to LAL...


He's going to test off the chart athletically and that maybe his saving grace...BUT DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY TEAM WANTS TO SEE IT FOR THEMSELVES!!!!!!!

He's better than Sasha right now...that's the role he'd be filling...Sasha has a better shot (perfect mechanics) but he can probably do everything else better...Sasha also hustles...


If he can come in and shoot the ball well and hustle, he has a chance...it would be easier for them to draft him than to take a chance bidding on SFs...

Shooting
Defense
Hustle
Athleticism

That's what he needs to concentrate on if he wants a chance for the first round...as a Laker!
User avatar
GCMD

 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm

Postby slimjim on Wed May 24, 2006 1:40 pm

i haven't seen him play much

but all i know is.. this boy is the best athelete out of this draft class hands down...

i can see him becoming a shawn marion type of guy... if he works realy hard at it...
User avatar
slimjim

 
Posts: 8688
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 1:31 am

Postby Danny Ainge on Wed May 24, 2006 1:55 pm

James White the closest thing to flight. :mhihi:
Image
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
User avatar
Danny Ainge

 
Posts: 9331
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:54 pm
Location: El Dorado Hills

Postby KB24 on Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Danny Ainge wrote:James White the closest thing to flight. :mhihi:
:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :bow:
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55547
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby NicD on Thu May 25, 2006 4:17 pm

Id love to see James White in a Laker uni as well...

With that said...

I agree he is extremely althletic, but not near the athletic potential of a Shawn Marion, per say...

Let me explain...

White loses much of his explosion when jumping off of two feet, so you won't see the "free-throw line" athleticism in games except on breakaways...1 foot leaping ability doesn't translate into half-court offense, where there's traffic in the lane and bodies to collide with...Maybe that's why we're all reminded of his athleticism during the off-seasons at these dunk contests, but so many of us have lost track of him during the actual seasons...

Marion is primarily a 2-footed jumper, a rapid fire two footed jumper at that, who translates horizontal speed into vertical explosion off of 2 feet better than anyone in the league...

I don't think White's athleticism compares...
NicD

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:00 pm

Postby GCMD on Thu May 25, 2006 4:27 pm

NicD wrote:Id love to see James White in a Laker uni as well...

With that said...

I agree he is extremely althletic, but not near the athletic potential of a Shawn Marion, per say...

Let me explain...

White loses much of his explosion when jumping off of two feet, so you won't see the "free-throw line" athleticism in games except on breakaways...1 foot leaping ability doesn't translate into half-court offense, where there's traffic in the lane and bodies to collide with...Maybe that's why we're all reminded of his athleticism during the off-seasons at these dunk contests, but so many of us have lost track of him during the actual seasons...

Marion is primarily a 2-footed jumper, a rapid fire two footed jumper at that, who translates horizontal speed into vertical explosion off of 2 feet better than anyone in the league...

I don't think White's athleticism compares...


The only reason you jump higher with one foot is your body is also lifted by the motion (swing) of the other leg...according to physics, theoretically, you should get more lift when jumping off 2 legs because of the increased force created by doubling the "spring" tension used by the muscles of the leg...


But your contentions are flawed in this intance for another reason: Marion and White jump the same in the same situations...Marion doesn't jump off 2 feet from the freethrow line...White doesn't jump off 1 foot under the basket...


If you wanted to make an argument about the reason Flight won't be as "good" as Marion or a different type of player as marion, you should have addressed the upper body strength that marion possess that White will NEVER possess...
User avatar
GCMD

 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm

Postby lakerfanimal on Thu May 25, 2006 5:51 pm

GameCockMD wrote:
NicD wrote:Id love to see James White in a Laker uni as well...

With that said...

I agree he is extremely althletic, but not near the athletic potential of a Shawn Marion, per say...

Let me explain...

White loses much of his explosion when jumping off of two feet, so you won't see the "free-throw line" athleticism in games except on breakaways...1 foot leaping ability doesn't translate into half-court offense, where there's traffic in the lane and bodies to collide with...Maybe that's why we're all reminded of his athleticism during the off-seasons at these dunk contests, but so many of us have lost track of him during the actual seasons...

Marion is primarily a 2-footed jumper, a rapid fire two footed jumper at that, who translates horizontal speed into vertical explosion off of 2 feet better than anyone in the league...

I don't think White's athleticism compares...


The only reason you jump higher with one foot is your body is also lifted by the motion (swing) of the other leg...according to physics, theoretically, you should get more lift when jumping off 2 legs because of the increased force created by doubling the "spring" tension used by the muscles of the leg...


But your contentions are flawed in this intance for another reason: Marion and White jump the same in the same situations...Marion doesn't jump off 2 feet from the freethrow line...White doesn't jump off 1 foot under the basket...


If you wanted to make an argument about the reason Flight won't be as "good" as Marion or a different type of player as marion, you should have addressed the upper body strength that marion possess that White will NEVER possess...


well wat iv heard basketball wise. is that people who jump higher of 1 foot have stronger cores, while people that jump higher off 2 feet have stronger legs, or reverse im not sure. i can jump higher off of 2 feet than 1 foot.
ImageImage
User avatar
lakerfanimal

 
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:17 am
Location: irvine

Postby Oneeezle on Thu May 25, 2006 11:09 pm

i jump off one foot and i can throw down 2 handers. jumping off 2 feet adds stability, i don't know how many times i have heard stu lance say that. :man3:
Image
Image
User avatar
Oneeezle

 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:24 pm
Location: OC

Postby GCMD on Fri May 26, 2006 7:13 am

lakerfanimal wrote:
GameCockMD wrote:
NicD wrote:Id love to see James White in a Laker uni as well...

With that said...

I agree he is extremely althletic, but not near the athletic potential of a Shawn Marion, per say...

Let me explain...

White loses much of his explosion when jumping off of two feet, so you won't see the "free-throw line" athleticism in games except on breakaways...1 foot leaping ability doesn't translate into half-court offense, where there's traffic in the lane and bodies to collide with...Maybe that's why we're all reminded of his athleticism during the off-seasons at these dunk contests, but so many of us have lost track of him during the actual seasons...

Marion is primarily a 2-footed jumper, a rapid fire two footed jumper at that, who translates horizontal speed into vertical explosion off of 2 feet better than anyone in the league...

I don't think White's athleticism compares...


The only reason you jump higher with one foot is your body is also lifted by the motion (swing) of the other leg...according to physics, theoretically, you should get more lift when jumping off 2 legs because of the increased force created by doubling the "spring" tension used by the muscles of the leg...


But your contentions are flawed in this intance for another reason: Marion and White jump the same in the same situations...Marion doesn't jump off 2 feet from the freethrow line...White doesn't jump off 1 foot under the basket...


If you wanted to make an argument about the reason Flight won't be as "good" as Marion or a different type of player as marion, you should have addressed the upper body strength that marion possess that White will NEVER possess...


well wat iv heard basketball wise. is that people who jump higher of 1 foot have stronger cores, while people that jump higher off 2 feet have stronger legs, or reverse im not sure. i can jump higher off of 2 feet than 1 foot.


The point is, the only time you are going to jump off 2 feet is when you are NOT running!!!!

If you see anybody jump off 2 feet, they have stopped to gain their balance or they are right under the rim and need to UP instead of FORWARD...

Try it...try to RUN and jump off 2 feet from about 6 feet away from the basket...

Then try to jump off 1 foot from the same distance with a running start...


2 feet for power, balance and max vertical displacement from a static position...
1 foot lift and max horizontal displacement from a dynamic (moving) position...

You won't find many people who can jump the same distance or height off 1 or 2 feet...that's physics...

I'd type the equations but unless you've had calc based Physics, you wouldn't understand it and if you have had calc based Physics, I don't need to explain it...
User avatar
GCMD

 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm

Postby GCMD on Fri May 26, 2006 7:25 am

Oneeezle wrote:i jump off one foot and i can throw down 2 handers. jumping off 2 feet adds stability, i don't know how many times i have heard stu lance say that. :man3:


I does...but it decreases the horizontal component of acceleration...that's why you won't see anybody take off from the freethrow line on 2 feet...

You get added lift by the motion of the opposite leg...it's propelled upwards as you leap off the other foot...


That helps you achieve the vertial displacement to get high enough to complete the dunk...how fast you run combined with how high you can jump determines how far you can travel to reach the rim and complete the dunk...

Jumping off 2 feet puts most of the force in the vertical component which helps stabilize you...you jump vertically...stability is determined by the amount of your mass that lands directly DOWN...the more you move forward, the less of your mass's acceleration is centered on your base...that makes it easier for you to fall and it makes you have to compensate with you back and leg muscles to keep you in the UPRIGHT position (the way you walk or stand)...so it's easier on your body if you jump straight up and land directly on your feet instead of having to move your feet to DECCELERATE the horizontal component of your ACCELERATION...


It's easy to understand if you just go out and try it...


Drop a block on the ground and see how far it rolls...(same as jumping 2 feet, straight up)
Throw the same block 10 feet away from you and see how far it rolls...(same as jumping 1 foot, running)

Get it?
User avatar
GCMD

 
Posts: 11124
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:24 pm

Postby NicD on Fri May 26, 2006 9:32 am

All very true, and good points...

I agree with GameCockMD's point that Marion and White would jump the same in the same situations, that's a given really. But I think you missed my point.

My point is that Marion is a very good 1 footed jumper, AS WELL AS a gifted 2 footed jumper, and excels in both situations posed. He can fly on the fast break and rise off of 1 foot when the lane is open, maintaining his speed and keeping in front of a trailing defender, AND he's explosive off of 2 feet and can throw it down in traffic when horizontal space is limited but vertical space is available. On top of that, Marion's probably the best in the league at transferring horizontal speed to vertical lift when the situation calls for it, such as attacking the basket in a half court set.

Not all athletes can jump both ways as effectively.

IMO, White doesn't have nearly the same explosion off of 2 feet as he does 1, so his opportunities for "athletic" plays in the half court are limited. Dunks in traffic, tip jams, weak side shot blocking - all these things are done most easily from a 2 foot jump - mostly for reasons of timing and space. Add to that, as you mentioned, the fact that he has no strength and you end up with a very one dimensional athlete...The guy is a dunk contest athlete, and his athleticism doesn't translate to game situations very well.
NicD

 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:00 pm


Return to NBA 2014 Draft

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.