Jennings not impressed with Rubio

Re: Jennings not impressed with Rubio

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:37 pm

i've failed to see the big deal about rubio. not that jennings is better. i haven't seen enough of either to make that distinction, but rubio reminds me of jason williams more than jason kidd.
abeer3

Postby halekulani on Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:42 pm

KB24@CL wrote:Rubio has one major weakness that concerns me and thats his lack of strength...he needs a serious workout regimen to add some upper body strength or he is gonna get eaten alive.

he's young and adding weight is far easier than adding skill.
you shouldn't be worried at all.
halekulani

Postby eNlight on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:35 am

wow i'm seeing jennings being taken at 11 or 13 in some mock drafts. did he slip THAT much? i've never seen rubio play so i won't make any comments. i've MET jennings, just a kid still, and is VERY cocky. both players look like twigs to me. if jennings is having trouble in europe and rubio has such a great resume, i think he needs to be quiet.
eNlight

Postby GNC on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 am

rubio > jennings
GNC

Postby Mastermixer8 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:59 pm

When asked about their head-to-head matchup last year, the 6-2 Jennings boasted, "Well, when I played him, he had zero points, two assists and two turnovers. So you tell me how that went."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/news/story?id=4255421

Not for sure but I think when they went head-to-head Rubio had a broken right hand or something.
Mastermixer8

Postby ShowtimeACB on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Rubio is a top 5 PG in Europe, Jennings is not even in the top 25, this is where they stand right now.

The fact Jennings use the game they played to prove he´s better is pointless, Rubio has been injured for all the 1st part of the season, he played the last 5 games in Euroleague to help his team but he was only able to have significant minutes in the last 2 since he wasn´t recovered at all, he only played 22 out of 34 in the spanish league, it has been a tough season for him.

Right now there´s no point to compare them since Rubio is in a higher level, he´s a leader, Jennings is just a compliment type of player.
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0as8tDg391rpeq3xo1_400.jpg/img]
ShowtimeACB

Postby nameant on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:19 pm

I don't really understand the hype over Rubio either but I'm willing to give the kid a chance to prove me wrong. He's too young to be calling a bust. It takes 3-4 years to determine if a player is a bust or not. Unless you're Darko, it was his first 3-4 minutes.
nameant

Postby MadMax on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:02 pm

karacha wrote:Rubio will be very good, quote me on this.

Really going out on a limb there, :man1:

Seriously though, why would people even put much thought into what Jennings thinks?
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Ryder Havasu on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I've only seen about 7 total games of Ricky Rubio through NBATV and the Olympics. From what I saw in the international games he was clearly the best player on the floor. He has a very high ceiling. He can make the spectacular play with his passing and court vision. As a defender I think he's crafty, he's got good length, instincts and underrated athleticim. I can see La Pistola struggling in his rookie season with more physical guards, the overall speed of the game (better athletes in the NBA), and he might be a bit turnover prone as he learns the NBA game. With that said, he could be a multiple all-star really soon. He reads and sees the game so well for a 19 year old. His BB IQ is outstanding. If he improves his outside touch he will be a headache to match up against. Right now IMO, that's his biggest weakness is he's not a consistent threat from the outside. He counters that by being such a tremendous playmaker. He can dribble with either hand, double teams don't seem to phase him, and he's not afraid of tense situations.
Black and Gold / Purple and Gold
check out www.myspace.com/theflipnotes
Ryder Havasu

Postby knm131 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:02 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
bystander wrote:Late, buddy

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=112139&p=2917638&hilit=rubio#p2917136

bust ? just because a worse player says so ?

You are my favourite poster

i suggest you to keep bashing on Gasol or at least admit you failed miserably.

What does this have to do with Gasol? I don't even comprehend your post. I think you would be better suited on Spanish Team forum, because that's really why you are here. It's a pity.

Dude. I think there was a thread once about Sun Yue, and somehow, Gasol was brought up. LOL.
knm131

Postby MikeDead on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 pm

While I put little to no stock into what Jennings has said about Rubio, I also think we have to consider a lot of different things when looking at Jennings struggles overseas. Jennings by all accounts is an up tempo style of one guard; playing in a slower half court set. So I think just from a pure basketball stand point he's playing a little out of his comfort zone, and then we also have to take into account the fact that the kid moved halfway across the world, and is playing against far more experience, and far stronger competition.

From what little I've seen of Rubio, I see all the tools needed to be a phenomenal playmaker at this level. But at the same time I think Jenning's struggles are being a bit blown out of proportion, and will really only serve to help him next season when he takes the next step to the NBA.
MikeDead
ClubCeltics.com Administrator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:22 pm

bystander wrote:
CaCHooKa Man wrote:from what i saw in the olympics, i wasnt impressed by rubio either

you know, one funny thing about the Gold medal game is that Rubio injured his wrist in the 1st quarter. After the Olympics he had surgery and he missed the first part of the season because of that. Then he led his team to the playoffs where lose 2-1 vs Real Madrid and was named Defensive Player of the Year. He is also the PG with more assists on the draft in a league where assist are counted different, whit less assists per game.

My point is, he might not be Jason Kidd, but he is no Darko Milicic for sure.

Nobody thought Darko was Darko either before the draft. Just sayin'.
Savory Griddles

Postby Radner on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm

5:45 - mention of Brandon Jennings remarks

http://videos.sacbee.com/vmix_hosted_ap ... id=4604549
Radner

Previous

Return to NBA 2014 Draft