Knicks discussing a way acquire 5th pick without trading 8th

Knicks discussing a way acquire 5th pick without trading 8th

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:40 pm

Alan Hahn of Newsday wrote:Multiple sources confirmed that the Knicks have discussed a potential blockbuster trade between the teams that would land the fifth overall pick and allow the Knicks to keep their spot at No. 8. The deal likely would have to include one of the team's most valuable assets, swingman Wilson Chandler, which would be a difficult decision.

This scenario also might include Larry Hughes going back to Washington in exchange for guard Mike James, a Long Island product, and a big man such as Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood. All of the players involved have expiring contracts.

The bold move by the Knicks, however, would not be to target Thabeet or even Spanish guard Ricky Rubio. It appears more likely that Davidson's Stephen Curry or Memphis' Tyreke Evans are the more coveted prospects.

The Knicks then could use their own pick at No. 8 to land Arizona power forward Jordan Hill, if he still is on the board. If not, there is Duke's Gerald Henderson or USC's DeMar DeRozan to consider as potential replacements for Chandler.

There has been speculation that the Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday - might make a push for Rubio, who has fallen out of favor with several of the top five teams.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Knicks discussing a way acquire 5th pick without trading 8th

Postby 10scott10 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:47 pm

I don't understand at all why washington would do this. they are clearly getting ripped off here
10scott10

Re: Knicks discussing a way acquire 5th pick without trading 8th

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 pm

^ Nor do I. I can understand them wanting a vet and not wanting the pick. I can understand the interest in the vastly underpaid Wilson Chandler. I can even understand wanting to bring Hughes back, because he was most productive there. BUT James, Thomas/Haywood are expiring contracts. Do expirings have that little value this off-season? Are they that desperate to shed those contracts now? All the reports say they're discussing possible deals involving the #5 pick with several different teams, there's just no way in hell this could be nearly the best offer they've received. I find that near impossible to believe.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft