Lakers interested in Nick Fazekas

Lakers interested in Nick Fazekas

Postby JSM on Wed May 03, 2006 12:59 pm

RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL: Although the early entry list of players for the 2006 NBA draft on June 28 won't be released until Wednesday, Nevada's Nick Fazekas has been working out to prepare for the process.

His father, Joe Fazekas, said six teams have shown early interest in having the 6-foot-11 Wolf Pack star work out for them.

"Sacramento wants him to come to them (for a workout)," said the elder Fazekas. "The Pacers are going to come to Reno. The Lakers, they want him to come to L.A.

"Phoenix has shown some interest, and the Spurs, too, but they don't have a first-round pick. That's the problem. Cleveland has shown interest, too."

Fazekas, the two-time Western Athletic Conference player of the year, is testing the NBA draft interest in him, but hasn't hired an agent and could return to Nevada for his senior season. Fazekas has said he would return to school if he's not convinced that he would be a first-round choice. Early list candidates can withdraw from the draft by June 18 and retain their eligibility.

Nevada coach Mark Fox said Fazekas has gained weight since the end of the season in mid-March and is now up to 240 pounds. There has been speculation that Fazekas' weight and strength are a concern for some NBA teams.

"Some teams have said he doesn't need to put on more weight, just get stronger," said the elder Fazekas.

There has been early speculation that Fazekas could be a late first-round or early second-round selection in the draft. DraftExpress.com calls him a possible first-round pick with a question mark.

"If he's not a first rounder this year, it's hard to imagine him ever being one since there isn't much left for him to accomplish individually in the NCAA," according to DraftExpress.com.

The younger Fazekas could be invited to the NBA pre-draft camp at Orlando, Fla., June 6-10.

If the player is invited, the elder Fazekas said his son would attend the camp, but might pass on participating in games at the camp.

"I don't think he should play," said the elder Fazekas. "I've heard it's guard oriented and as a big guy you are on your own. Nobody feeds you the ball.

"He would do everything, but the game."

The elder Fazekas said that would include being measured and weighed and undergoing strength tests.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Wed May 03, 2006 2:58 pm

He's an interesting guy. Check out his averages:

12.6 pts, 7.6 rebounds as a frosh
20.7 pts, 9.4 reb as a soph
21.8 pts, 10.4 reb as a junior

shot 52.9% last year from the floor, 84.6% from the line, 2 assists per game, 1.5 blocks per game, 32% career 3pt shooter....and wait for it...."great hands." Very interesting.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 pm

^^^
The numbers he puts up are a bit misleading. He doesn't play in a very strong conference, and most of his points are based off his wonderful perimeter game, which is undoubtedly his best attribute. He won't be as good a stealer, shotblocker, or rebounder at the next level at all. In fact, his stock has been dropping ever since late of last year. He was once a mid-first round pick and he's dropped all the way down to possibly a mid-2nd rounder if the cards don't fall for him. He's basically put up similar stats to last year and there's little he can accomplish left in college, as most of his potential seems to have been fulfilled already. What you see is probably what you get, just a specializing shooting big who can bring some other aspects to the table a la Keith Van Horn. Of course, he lacks athleticism and runs the floor extremely awkwardly as well.

As for the Lakers? I'm not too interested in him anymore, although I can see why the Lakers want him if they really want a shooter. The turnoff this season is that Fazekas only shot 29% from college three point range this year, which probably lowers his stock even further. Personally I think he might have limited success in the NBA, because he hasn't improved much, he has limited NBA ability physically and he's simply surviving off his shooting touch and the previous hype he's garnered. I think he can get "bigger fish" in Kobe's words, and look for athletic players who can shoot, such as Shawne Williams, or even PGs such as Rajon Rondo or defensive players such as Thabo Sefolosha. I don't think Fazekas fits our needs.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby trodgers on Wed May 03, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks for your take, man. I've never seen the guy...while he seemed intriguing, he's probably not the sort of guy LA needs.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 am

Stats are nice, but he doesn't plays in strongest conference.
Nothing more but a 2nd round pick.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby trodgers on Thu May 04, 2006 7:40 am

The Kobe Era 2K5 wrote:Stats are nice, but he doesn't plays in strongest conference.
Nothing more but a 2nd round pick.

LA does have a 2nd round pick...
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby In The Key on Thu May 04, 2006 5:28 pm

I'd take him in the second round, easily. The guy's got some good skills, not to mention another big to pick and pop with. But I think we'd benefit more from snagging a tougher and better rebounder like Paul Millsap.

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Postby trodgers on Thu May 04, 2006 6:14 pm

I agree. I'd like to get two specialty players. I mean, if we take a chance on that Shawne dude, the SF, I'd be okay with that. He seems like a bit of a project but a hellish athlete. In the 2nd round, I'd love to pick up a big shot blocker, a good rebounder, or a good outside shooter...someone to fill some roles.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby chug o nomics on Thu May 04, 2006 6:29 pm

GUILLERMO!

:man1:
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu May 04, 2006 8:24 pm

We have the #51st pick or so. I don't think Fazekas will fall that far, he's probably around the #32 to #45 range with an outside chance of cracking the first round if several teams fall in love with him. This draft has gotten deeper.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby dagreatkobe on Sun May 07, 2006 4:16 pm

He sounds like a Raef LaFrentz type...
dagreatkobe

Postby Tactical on Sun May 07, 2006 9:26 pm

Oh dear God, if we draft Nick Fazekas I will be absolutely furious. I am in my fourth year at the University of Nevada, Reno and seeing as he just finished his junior year I've seen him play as many times as about anyone.

He is a very uncoordinated guy, if any of you have seen him run, or like me walk on campus, you would be baffled this guy has a chance to play NBA basketball. Every game nationally televised for Nevada with the exception of just one I can think of, Fazekas has choked big time. My friends and I have come to call him sarcastically, "Big Game Nick" for this exact reason.

We play in a weak weak conference, and it seems most of his stats came against inferior competition. Horrible shot blocker, and defender in general. 7'0 small forward without great leaping ability.

Sorry for the rant, but this guy kills me. Seeing that the Lakers were interested killed me even more after the 40-50 college games I've seen him play.
Tactical

Return to NBA 2014 Draft