LAL sell #1 pick to NYN - done per ESPN

LAL sell #1 pick to NYN - done per ESPN

Postby West on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 am

fixing link

New York Knicks officials are telling peers they have purchased the Lakers’ No. 29 pick.

The Knicks are planning to draft a point guard with their choice at No. 8, and sources say they’re targeting a big man at 29.

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak said on Wednesday the team hoped to sell its pick and use to money to help re-sign free agents Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza.

Adding ESPN link

The NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers have sold the No. 29 pick in the first round of the NBA draft to the New York Knicks for $3 million, multiple sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.
Last edited by West on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread Killer...
West

Re: LAL sell #1 pick to NYN?

Postby kwyitkilla on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:13 am

I thought they wouldve pulled off some trades along with the pick. Oh well.
kwyitkilla

Postby Venti Quattro on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 am

Yahoo has changed it's report...it says either #27 or #29...they are now not sure.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 am

I think it's the 27th picks. We can't trade the pick until after we select someone. I don't think NY would be talking about the deal already if that's the case, because another team could come in and make us a better deal.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby westcoast21 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:29 am

We didn't trade. We sold the pick. I would think its two different things right? Or am I wrong?
westcoast21

Postby Alleyhoops on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:30 am

If Ellington is still on the board when we pick, I'll be unhappy, but I guess you can't have it both ways.
Alleyhoops

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am

westcoast21 wrote:We didn't trade. We sold the pick. I would think its two different things right? Or am I wrong?

You're still essentially trading it, just for cash rather than a player. And it leaves us without a pick this year, something LA can't technically do. Lakers can do whatever they want with the pick after they take someone at 29. So LA could have an agreement with a team to select x player for them and then move the pick right after they select someone. But if that's the case, I personally don't see new of that leaking this early.
JSM

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:38 am

can we sell sasha?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby i~LaKerS~! on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 am

its up on espn. Pick has been sold for 3 million to the knicks..
cant argue with that arrangement, more money toward re-signing ariza and odom.
Lakers also retain 2 second rounders so..good deal alll around..
i~LaKerS~!

Postby live and die in LA on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 am

Hopefully Rodrigue Beaubois falls to 42. That would be ideal.
live and die in LA

Postby lakers_09tv on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 am

Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby West on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:01 am

Thx for link. 3 million is a tremendous return for #29. The 3M earned plus the lack of guaranteed money going out is win/win. Mitch is really hitting his stride, I hope he can unload a couple Xpirings before too long...
Thread Killer...
West

Re: LAL sell #1 pick to NYN - done per ESPN

Postby kwyitkilla on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:07 am

WOW 3 million? Thats not bad Mitch, not bad at all.
kwyitkilla

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:07 am

West wrote:

Thx for link. 3 million is a tremendous return for #29. The 3M earned plus the lack of guaranteed money going out is win/win. Mitch is really hitting his stride, I hope he can unload a couple Xpirings before too long...

Unload a couple of expirings? For what? Better get some players back instead of selling Farmar like has been reported. Not using draft picks and selling players will leave this team very thin with an injury or two next season. The expirings such as Adam and Farmar need to be used to get a PG who can play or a player. Drew or someone goes down and the 13-man roster gets thin pretty fast. Someone will say if that happens LA will sign someone at that time. Yeah and Phil won't play that player either since he doesn't know the triangle. I have no problem selling this pick, but to sell Farmar too is wrong. If first pick was worth 3 million, what would it and Farmar brought back as far as maybe a better PG?
SignPippenNow

Postby kray28 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:08 am

Good move....it's doubtful that whoever we drafted at #29 would've even made the roster, especially in such a weak draft.

We can now apply that cash toward retaining our free agents instead.
kray28

Postby khmrP on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:10 am

nice move Mitch, sucky draft anyways now how bout the 2 2ndrs?
khmrP

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 am

I know everyone assumes this is a cost-cutting move to help resign Lamar, Trevor and Shannon. That is probably the case too, but what if Mitch has some vet PG free agent in mind who is set to give the Lakers a huge hometown discount? I can hope can't I? There is some good FA PGs out there and maybe Mitch by also wanting to sell Farmar for money has one in mind in addition to his 3 FAs we all know he is trying to bring back. Thoughts anyone, is this at least remotely possible?
SignPippenNow

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 am

Because of that rule about trading consecutive first rounders, we won't actually be able to deal this pick until after we have selected. So we'll hear a lot about how "the 29th pick is going to the Knicks", but the Lakers will be the ones officially making the selection. The Knicks will just tell us who to take and the trade will be processed later in the night.

I don't mind this deal. I would've liked to see Morrison and/or Farmar go along with it, but oh well. With this move, the team has to re-sign all its guys.
Last edited by Damian Necronamous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damian Necronamous

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 am

ESPN just said that Buss is gonna use those 3 mill to enter the WSOP for the next ten years. :man4:
D.B. Cooper

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:36 am

SignPippenNow wrote:what if Mitch has some vet PG free agent in mind who is set to give the Lakers a huge hometown discount? I can hope can't I? There is some good FA PGs out there and maybe Mitch by also wanting to sell Farmar for money has one in mind in addition to his 3 FAs we all know he is trying to bring back. Thoughts anyone, is this at least remotely possible?

If Mitch can unload Farmar and Ammo, then maybe. But as of right now, it was probably just a move to get some cash for LO, Trevor, and Shannon. Not that that's a bad thing. Getting the full $3m for what is essentially a 2nd round pick is a pretty damn good use of the wand.
JSM

Postby OchoX3 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 am

I knew they couldn't take on another player this year. Thought they'd draft an overseas guy and let him sit there.
OchoX3

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 am

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express wrote:Look for the Knicks to use the #29 pick to select Jack McClinton. They are still exploring their options there, trying to figure out who might be on the board, and McClinton may some suitors a little bit earlier in the first round potentially, but that’s clearly who Mike D’Antoni would like them to pick. They just worked him out a few days ago when they brought Jrue Holiday in. If Tyreke Evans falls to the 8th pick, the two could definitely share the same backcourt, with Evans handling the point guard duties and McClinton slated to defend the opposing team’s smaller guard.

Denver may have come away disappointed not to have acquired the Lakers pick, as they are apparently looking at Marcus Thornton and Darren Collison as two potential draft picks in the late first round. They may be able to acquire either one at #34, but will look to Chicago’s pick at 26, as its rumored to be available.

All that for McClinton? Really?

And :man10: way to go Mitch, not trading with the Thuggets.
JSM

Postby lakers_09tv on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:41 am

The trade even gets better for us.

In return, L.A. will get a 2011 second-round pick and $3 million. The Lakers still hold the 42nd and 59th selections overall in tonight's draft.

:jam2:

Got it off the Knicks board.
Matt Barnes - "I respect all my opponents but I fear no one."

Deron Williams - “I hate ’em, you know,” he said the other day. “I hate the Lakers. They’re so good. I hate them because they win all the time. They’re a tough team. … We definitely talk about it. It’s not a secret. We hate the Lakers.”
lakers_09tv

Postby West on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 am

SignPippenNow wrote:
West wrote:

Unload a couple of expirings? For what? Better get some players back instead of selling Farmar like has been reported. Not using draft picks and selling players will leave this team very thin with an injury or two next season. The expirings such as Adam and Farmar need to be used to get a PG who can play or a player. Drew or someone goes down and the 13-man roster gets thin pretty fast. Someone will say if that happens LA will sign someone at that time. Yeah and Phil won't play that player either since he doesn't know the triangle. I have no problem selling this pick, but to sell Farmar too is wrong. If first pick was worth 3 million, what would it and Farmar brought back as far as maybe a better PG?

Well it looks like the wand is warming up. Why not see what it can bring back for the MLE? This is a good FA year, lot's of good role players that would fit LAL. Move Farmar/Ammo, bring back Kidd, RonRon or Wallace? Maybe S&T? It doesn't seem as 'pipe' as it did 5 years ago...
Thread Killer...
West

Postby TT24 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:48 am

Got this from the LA Times:
If the Lakers sold their first-round pick, they would get a future pick in return, as well as cash. In today's market a 29th pick probably would fetch $500,000 to $1 million.

The Knicks must have REALLY wanted that pick since they paid $3 million...
TT24

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft