NBA 2011 Draft Misc. News Thread

Re: NBA 2011 Draft Misc. News Thread

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:50 am

Sam Amico of Fox Sports wrote:JaJuan Johnson is beginning to increase his stock, in the eyes of NBA types. The 6-foot-10 forward from Purdue improved greatly in each of his four college seasons and possesses a 7-2 wingspan. Scouts also like the fact Johnson hit 80 percent of his free throws last season. It's always nice to have someone near the basket, drawing fouls and then knocking down freebies from the line.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:11 pm

DraftExpress: Teams can talk about getting better defensively, but the only way to do that is to get players that are really inclined to play defense.
52 minutes ago

DraftExpress: That's why Toronto is strongly looking at both Bismack Biyombo and Kawhi Leonard with the #5 pick. Both would help a lot in that regard.
52 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm

DraftExpress: Sources say Washington & Phoenix have been the most active teams trying to trade up for Derrick Williams. T'Wolves want a "veteran big man."
1 minute ago

Neither team really has one to offer. Best Suns could do would be a Robin Lopez based package, including their 13th pick.

Wiz are pretty high on their young bigs -- Blatche and McGee -- would they be willing to part with one of them and their #5 to get Williams?
JSM

Postby Whatthef? on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:12 pm

How about Rubio and the no. 20 pick for Shannon Brown!
Whatthef?

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:42 am

Kerry Eggers of the Portland Tribune wrote:The Trail Blazers, who own the 21st pick, are looking to move up in the June 24 draft.

According to a league source, Portland would like to get into the top seven to be in position to take Connecticut point guard Kemba Walker. That might mean packaging veteran point guard Andre Miller and the No. 21 pick for another team’s player along with a top-seven pick.

I don't see any of the top 7 teams making that move and I don't see Kemba lasting till 7, either. They could probably get Detroit's pick at 8, but that wouldn't do them any good. If they are able to strike a deal with one of those teams, they're going to have to take back an ugly contract. Do they like Kemba THAT much?
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 am

Kerry Eggers of the Portland Tribune wrote:Cleveland, which owns picks 1 and 4, would like to have the first two picks to select Duke point guard Kyrie Irving and Arizona forward Derek Williams, according to reports. Minnesota, which owns the second pick, might be willing to move the choice for the No. 4 selection and other considerations after this week’s signing of Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 am

alanhahn: Source says #Knicks would look to trade up for Jimmer, but opportunity may not be there. Story in Newsday: http://bit.ly/iKuMAe #NBA
1 hour ago

The issue, of course, is the team's lack of assets to offer in a trade, which, right now, would be to offer either Toney Douglas or Landry Fields along with their pick.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Probballdraft: Word around the league is that OKC has put their pick on the block. Chicago wants to move up also. #Thunder #Bulls
6 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 pm

MrMichaelLee: #wizards may look into dealing for Derrick Williams but have yet to make a serious pitch, according to sources: http://wapo.st/muIAdT
8 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:05 am

Bob Finnan of the Morning Journal wrote:Colorado shooting guard Alec Burks (6-6, 193) met recently with the Bucks, who hold the No. 10 pick. He said Coach Scott Skiles told him the Bucks like him a lot in the draft. "They told me they saw my progress from the beginning of the year to the end of the year," he said. "They showed me how much interest they had for me. They had a great respect for my game. I fit in their offense with (Bucks point guard) Brandon (Jennings). I can play off him or come in for him. (Skiles) had a great praise for my game." He was measured 6-6 with shoes, with a 6-10 wingspan. "I'm a '2,' " he said. "I want to play the '2.' I have no preference as long as I'm in the league. I can play the '1' if they need me to." The consensus is that the Bucks will take Burks. They also have interest in BYU's Jimmer Fredette.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 am

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express wrote:With Ricky Rubio finally agreeing to play for Minnesota next season, a major piece to the puzzle has been added to the Timberwolves' roster, allowing them to focus all their attention on this pick.
The team has reportedly narrowed down their choices to Williams and Enes Kanter at the moment, but it has also been calling around the league recently to see what this pick might yield via trade, asking particularly for a "veteran big man." It's likely that Williams will be the one taken since he is the consensus second-best talent in this draft, according to NBA decision makers. If Minnesota keeps the pick and indeed selects Williams, sources say the Timberwolves will look to move Michael Beasley as they try to improve the "culture of the team."
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 am

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express wrote:3 Utah Jazz
The team is also actively exploring trade opportunities, namely for a proven starting point guard. It's an indication that things are still wide open at this pick.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:02 am

Minnisota wants a veteran big man eh? No one in this league is more veteran than Joe Smith. :jam2:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:25 am

therealdeal wrote:Minnisota wants a veteran big man eh? No one in this league is more veteran than Joe Smith. :jam2:

I think Bulls have the inside track with a Kurt Thomas S&T. :man10:

lakerswiz wrote:Utah's trying to get a starting point guard? Does Devin Harris play SG?! Anyway we can pull out a 3 way deal to get Utah and higher pick and get Harris in the process?

Found that a little confusing as well. He has 2 more years under contract, so either they don't believe in Harris for the long term. Or think Walker or Knight are much better alternatives, which I don't see.
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Probballdraft: Word around draft circles is that @3goudelock is looking like a mid-to-late 2nd round pick in this draft despite impressive workouts.
7 minutes ago

A little surprised by this. Thought his stock would be on the rise. Definitely one of the PGs I have my eye on for the Lakers in the 2nd round.
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I'd love Devin Harris for this team, holy crap. If the Jazz don't want him, there'll be some takers out there for sure.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 am

Marcus: Do you think the TWolves will keep the 2nd pick or trade it?

Chad Ford (1:13 PM): I think they trade. But they won't give the pick away. I think they're another possible destination for Monta Ellis. I think they're also intrigued if they could swap No. 2 for JaVale McGee.
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

Chad Ford (1:16 PM): I've had several teams tell me that the Cavs have told them they'd consider moving No. 4 if they got a youngish veteran in return. Just not sure the No. 4 pick has enormous value in this draft.
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:29 am

Chad Ford (1:24 PM): I do think there's a chance of the Wizards moving up. The reports that they have been super active about it are bogus, but there are some in Washington that want to totally remake the roster around Wall. If they're are willing to move McGee (a big if) ... they could get into the Top 2.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Evans Clinchy of NESN News wrote:Say, has anyone checked out the Celtics' Twitter page lately?
It's usually a ghost town during the summertime, but the team has just recently begun to actively pepper the team feed with quotes from Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge about this upcoming offseason. The C's have put up about a dozen updates over the last 48 hours.

Many of them happen to pertain to the upcoming draft, which is now less than two weeks away on June 23.

Consider the following three quotes, all of which come straight from the horse's digital mouth:

"It's not a strong draft. There's not a lot of players who could change a franchise."

"Historically, the odds of a #25 draft pick breaking into a rotation is like 6%."

"The last thing I wanna do...because we're trying to win...is put inexperienced players under Doc. It's a delicate balance."

All of the above came from Ainge on Thursday.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

It's looking very likely that the Celtics trade their way out of this upcoming draft.

They currently hold two picks, the No. 25 and the No. 55, in a draft that some are calling the worst of the century to date. Ainge already said last month that Avery Bradley, his No. 19 pick last June, would be a top-five selection if he came out this year. And that's Bradley, who played a grand total of 162 minutes for the Celtics this past season. Translation: There's zero chance of a rookie making an impact in Boston next year.

So why not trade out? The C's are in "win now" mode. All their focus is on making one last push for a championship in 2012. Anyone that can't help them toward that goal is, at least for now, useless.

There are guys in this class who can make an impact, down the road. Some long-term projects, some guys with shot-in-the-dark potential, some perfectly respectable career backups. But for the Celtics, a big-market team with the sway to attract solid veteran free agents year in and year out, there's no one really truly worthwhile.

There have been plenty of prospects working out with the Celtics in recent weeks. Among them are several seasoned college big men -- USC's Nikola Vucevic, Florida's Vernon Macklin, UConn's Charles Okwandu. Plus boatloads more. But as Ainge said -- why burden Doc now with inexperienced players? Why stick him with the responsibility of shepherding lost young kids, when his real goal is to guide a veteran team to a championship?

That's not necessarily to say deal both picks. The No. 55 can be used to pluck a serviceable D-Leaguer. But the No. 25 has value to a younger, cheaper team. Deal it now, and you might get something worthwhile -- a little cash, future picks (because down the road, the C's will get younger), maybe even an adequate bench player.

Danny Ainge is the master of finding that diamond in the rough, the late-first round draft pick that no one expected to pan out. His greatest hits include Rajon Rondo, Delonte West, Tony Allen and Kendrick Perkins. But players like that in the 2011 class are few and far between. Maybe the C's will just accept it and cut bait now.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:02 pm

chadfordinsider: Surveyed a lot of NBA teams about where Biyombo & Motiejunas projected to go. Both appear to be in 10-20 range.
33 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 am

TheHoopsReport: Vesely and Valanciunas are pretty much locks for the top 10. Motiejunas is pretty much a lock to go outside the top 10.
21 minutes ago

TheHoopsReport: The Detroit Pistons are very interested in Bismack Biyombo at No. 8. If he gets past the Bobcats at 9, he could possibly slip to 14 or 16.
30 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:31 am

TheHoopsReport: I get new info on a daily basis. I've been told Jazz won't pass on Jimmer at 12 if they take Kanter at 3.
6 hours ago

TheHoopsReport: Jazz aren't sure who they want at 3. They're now leaning towards Kanter as BPA. They'd then go PG at 12, tough choice between Kemba/Jimmer.
6 hours ago

TheHoopsReport: I've been told Jazz don't love anyone at 3 + could trade, but if they keep it Kanter is the best player available and they can get PG at 12.
6 hours ago

Addressing the placement of Walker in his latest mock...
TheHoopsReport: Kemba slipping to 13 is simply because there aren't a lot of teams that have him atop their draft board.
5 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 am

TheHoopsReport: A source at the Jazz workout today said Jimmer Fredette was the best player there and that Kemba Walker had trouble guarding him.
25 minutes ago

TheHoopsReport: Yes. Minnesota/Utah/Cleveland are all exploring trade possibilities. RT @LakeEffectBro Do you expect anyone to trade up into the top 4?
13 hours ago
JSM

2011 NBA Draft Show!

Postby GlobalSportsEnt on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:36 am

2011 NBA DRAFT SHOW
ESPN ZONE AT LA LIVE

Date: Thursday, June 23rd, 4:00PM - 6:30PM
Location: ESPN Zone LA Live, 1011 S. Figueroa St. Los Angeles, CA 90015 – Screening Room area

CELEBRITY GUESTS
STEPHEN A. SMITH – ESPN 710
MATT BARNES – LAKERS GUARD/SMALL FORWARD
BILL PLASCHKE – L.A. TIMES COLUMNIST

Event Description: ESPN Zone LA Live will host a 2011 NBA Draft show breaking down the 2011 Draft. With the Draft going LIVE in the restaurant’s main screening room, ESPN Radio710 host and NBA guru Stephen A. Smith, Los Angeles Times award-winning sports columnist Bill Plaschke and Los Angeles Lakers’ very own Matt Barnes will discuss the selections, top talent and several other team and NBA-related headlines. The talent will evaluate each team’s picks, offer their predictions/opinions, and make their remarks about of the Draft’s top headlines. The audience will have the opportunity to watch the Draft live, but also hear expert analysis between each Draft selection. There will also be plentiful opportunities for fans to ask questions to the talent during the time between picks.
GlobalSportsEnt

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2014 Draft