NBA 2011 Draft Misc. News Thread

NBA 2011 Draft Misc. News Thread

Postby JSM on Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Place for random blurbs and tweets leading up to the draft that isn't necessarily deserving of its own thread.

chadfordinsider: Already hearing from sources that Minnesota has told people they're very open to moving No. 2 pick. Kahn wants veteran help ...
9 minutes ago
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: NBA 2011 Draft Misc. News Thread

Postby kray28 on Tue May 17, 2011 9:31 pm

It's a bad draft to be picking that high....I wonder what type of veteran help he's going to get for that pick. Hope he's not expecting much.
kray28

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm

MrMichaelLee: Enes Kanter was asked where he would like to go in draft: "If I had the choice, I like Washington" #wizards met with him on Wed.
50 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 pm

GeryWoelfel: UConn star Kemba Walker measured at 5-11 3-4 without shoes. Houston, Detroit anf Phoenix showing most interest in him.
3 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

YannisHW: Lakers talking to few guys projected to be first round picks, but doesn't mean they're looking to trade in.
2 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:39 pm

DraftExpress: Klay Thompson, Charles Jenkins some of the guys drawing early praise from NBA execs at the Combine this morning.
5 hours ago

DraftExpress: More Combine standouts: "Klay Thompson, Jimmer Fredette, Norris Cole, Iman Shumpert. Not much you can see anyway working out against chairs"
4 hours ago

DraftExpress: Marshon Brooks apparently rubbed some people the wrong way by talking about himself in the 3rd person the entire interview.
3 hours ago

DraftExpress: Lots of good buzz about Kenneth Faried today. Skill-level looks poor but everyone loves his energy-level and athleticism. "He's an animal."
3 hours ago

DraftExpress: Iman Shumpert apparently really stood out amongst the PG groups by being so much bigger and more athletic. People really liked him.
3 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:41 pm

chadfordinsider: Enes Kanter impressed GMs here. Looked more athletic than they thought. Marshon Brooks looked great too. Ditto Kenneth Faried.
2 hours ago

chadfordinsider: Other guys who caught scouts today: Malcolm Lee, Jeremy Tyler, Norris Cole, Nikola Vucevic ...
1 hour ago

chadfordinsider: More standouts from NBA Execs. Iman Shumpert, Klay Thompson also good.
1 hour ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu May 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Fred Kerber of the New York Post wrote:The pick they once owned that should have been six turned out to be three and belongs to the Jazz. But the Nets could care less because that pick enabled them to get Deron Williams. So the big board says the Nets will select 27th and 36th in the June 23 draft.

Just don't bet on it. Trader Billy already is looking to move.

"I'm trying to move up already or even acquire another pick," Nets general manager Billy King said yesterday after landing in Chicago, where the NBA conducts its annual pre-draft camp. "I couldn't give you a percentage or odds if it'll happen, but we're trying.

"It gives you a chance to see some guys," he said. "They don't play 5-on-5 but you see how competitive they are in drills, you get to interview guys. But the big thing for me is you get to talk to other teams."
JSM

Postby Weezy on Thu May 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Lol at the guy talking about himself in the 3rd person. Also, Kemba Walker is shorter than I thought, and that guy who said he'd like to go to Washington should know the standard answer in that situation is "I don't care where I go I'll jut be happy to be drafted".
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Thu May 19, 2011 4:45 pm

JSM wrote:
DraftExpress: Marshon Brooks apparently rubbed some people the wrong way by talking about himself in the 3rd person the entire interview.
3 hours ago

Man, .. wtf
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby JSM on Fri May 20, 2011 9:24 am

TheHoopsReport: I'm hearing that the Utah Jazz really like Kemba Walker at 3.
15 hours ago

TheHoopsReport: Brandon Knight went out to dinner with the Toronto Raptors. I hear they have a lot of interest in Knight at 5.
15 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 am

TheHoopsReport: I talked to a Sacramento Kings exec and they are very high on Kawhi Leonard. He said they need a 3 and Kawhi is the only NBA-ready 3.
14 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat May 21, 2011 4:23 pm

WojYahooNBA: Just left long day and night in hotel lobby at Pre-Draft camp, where GM says Jimmer Fredette was "most impressive interview I've ever done."
20 May

christomasson: Jimmer Fredette: “The Pacers really like me and the Jazz and Suns really like me.’’
23 hours ago

christomasson: Jimmer Fredette met Thursday night with Jazz officials. He said he thinks they really like him for the No. 12 pick.
23 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat May 21, 2011 4:26 pm

AlexKennedyNBA: Enes Kanter wants to play for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves or Washington Wizards: http://tinyurl.com/3awkvdp
2 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat May 21, 2011 4:28 pm

TheHoopsReport: Helped themselves the most in Chicago: Marshon Brooks, Klay Thompson, Enes Kanter, Jordan Hamilton, Jeremy Tyler.
21 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sat May 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Probballdraft: Rumbling from NBA Combine is that Charlotte would like to move their pick. Early in process teams feeling each other out.
17 hours ago
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 21, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't know exactly what the Lakers have to offer and it's a weak draft in general, but it'd be cool to try to see them move up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 pm

Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated wrote:...a source said the Timberwolves' No. 20 pick is even more available.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue May 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Probballdraft: Measuring in at a shade under 6' all but assures Kemba is a top 10 guy. TOR, SAC, DET, CHA all havereal interest in him
5 hours ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 pm

AlexKennedyNBA: A well-placed source who attended the Minnesota group workout said that Josh Selby and Malcolm Lee stole the show.
51 seconds ago

This is the one Mitch attended.
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 pm

TheHoopsReport: I'm hearing that the Pistons are very high on Bismack Biyombo and the Jazz are definitely targeting a PG.
5 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 pm

TheHoopsReport: For those asking if the Jazz might trade the 3 pick, they could trade down if they think they can still get Kemba or Knight.
3 minutes ago

TheHoopsReport: I'm hearing the Jazz could go either way w/ Kemba or Knight but sounds like they prefer Kemba at this point.
2 minutes ago
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun May 29, 2011 7:53 pm

Probballdraft: Spoke with an NBA exec and was told that Kanter is in the mix for Timberwolves at 2, Cavs @4, Toronto and Washington too.
28 May
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun May 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Ryan Feldman of The Hoops Report wrote:With a number of workouts, including standout performances at many of them, plus a terrific performance at the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, three players that are moving up the draft boards are JaJuan Johnson, Justin Harper and Andrew Goudelock. Johnson may have secured himself into the first round at this point. Harper has a great chance at landing in the late first round as well. Goudelock may not last past the first 10 picks of the second round and he could even possibly land himself in the late first round.
JSM

Postby JSM on Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Here's a little more one of the player we're working out...

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld wrote:After the Pre-Draft Camp in Chicago concluded last week, one thing was clear: Andrew Goudelock had helped his draft stock.

The 6-foot-3 guard from the College of Charleston outperformed all of his peers in the combine's shooting drills by knocking down all 21 of his timed midrange attempts and hitting more spot-up threes from NBA range than well-known shooters like Jimmer Fredette and Jon Diebler. He also recorded a 37-inch maximum vertical and the second fastest lane agility time of the 54 prospects invited.

Goudelock's impressive display led to plenty of workout requests and now he has a packed schedule.

"I've already worked out for the Detroit Pistons and Oklahoma City Thunder," Goudelock told HOOPSWORLD in a phone interview. "I've scheduled workouts with the Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee Bucks, Miami Heat, Charlotte Bobcats, Atlanta Hawks, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets and some others."

Throughout this process, Goudelock has been enjoying himself. All season long, he had to endure double and triple teams from opposing defenses so the workout setting has been a breath of fresh air for the Georgia native.

"It's been good. I feel like I'm free - like an uncaged animal or something. Every time I get the opportunity, I try to show why I belong here and why I'm getting these opportunities in the first place. I'm just showing a lot of my skills and it's going pretty well for me," Goudelock said.

Even though he comes from a small school, he has impressed teams and made a name for himself. Because he was ignored by the nation's top programs coming out of high school, Goudelock has always played with a chip on his shoulder. He has entered the draft process with the same attitude and he has enjoyed taking it to top prospects with more notable names.

"I think that's something that helps me be who I am," Goudelock said. "That's something that helps me going into these workouts because I'm not from Duke, Texas, Kansas, North Carolina or any of these other places. When I'm in these workouts, I know that nothing got me there except for how I've been playing. That chip on my shoulder propelled me to get to where I am so I don't ever want to lose that chip as long as I'm playing basketball. When you're hungry, I think people see it and that's what people want."

Not only has Goudelock impressed teams on the court, he has also done a spectacular job in interviews. When asked what feedback he has received from teams, he mentions that most decision makers have liked his character and how he carries himself off the court.

"They like me and they think I'm a really good guy," Goudelock said. "They see that I'm a genuine person and they've checked my background to see what kind of person I am. They've been impressed when I finally get to play in front of them and show what I can do against some of these other guys. I think they like the angle that I'm taking, my aggressiveness and me as a person. I think it's going pretty well."

Pretty well is an understatement. When nearly every team wants you in for a work out, it means you're doing something right. Goudelock is climbing draft boards and he still has plenty of opportunities ahead to help his stock even more.
JSM

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft