Number 1 number 26 what's the difference?

Number 1 number 26 what's the difference?

Postby flexxdzl on Sat May 27, 2006 6:54 am

There are no standouts in the draft. The NBA has taken a dumb stance on allowing 18 (high school) player from comming into the league which has back fired. In general you could get a solid player at a lower pick in past years because team were willing to take a chance on a 18 year old now the draft looks like crap..every team in the league is running from the draft looking to trade out.

Minny wants to get rid of the #6 pick, The raps want to trade the 1st the bulls are looking to trade out also ect...also the TV rating will be the lowest it has been ever for the draft because what none really concidered is the high schoolers made it interesting and have a larger upside as a whole than do college players..Look at the list of superstars in the league..

Kobe,LBJ,KG,rashard Lewis,howard T-Mac,Amare,JO,..and players who did not finish college..AI,shaq,wade,mello,Vince carter..ect..Now look at the plaer that never went to college in the US..Tony parker,Dirk,Nash,Peja,Ginobli ect...

Now let's name the 4 year college grads superstars ...Tim duncan...uhhhhhh..uhhh...whoever else you can think of..

So even by the NBA standards the rule they put in place hurts themselves and in return hurts having 10 new superstars to maybe one ..and that's what this draft is a reflection of and it also seems that the college players that are comming out now need more time to develop than the highschoolers would need ...So Why even trade up if you are a team at the bottom..because 1 and 26 are the same ...Aldrige or williams...powe or reddick..morrison..or allen ray..there is no difference..

The fact is people should trade their entire draft for next years picks because there will not be one player..one that will be a force out of this draft..
flexxdzl

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sat May 27, 2006 7:49 am

I wouldnt go THAT far. The top of the draft is weak, no doubt but to say there wont be 1 impact player is crazy. As far as ratings, I dont think people are looking so much for the next Kobe or Tmac as much as they jus wanna see who their team gets, where their fav college players go, etc. Yes, the HS player is always a sexy pick but I dont think that will hurt them as much as you think.

This year is just a weird anomoly, there arent that many college stars leaving. Next year off the top of my head we have Joakim Noah and Al Horford, Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, Mario Chalmers, Julian Wright, Rayshawn Terry, Taylor Hansborough, Marcus Williams, Aaron Aflallo, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Acie Law, Corey Brewer, Domonic James, Ronald Steele, Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt :man1: , Big Baby and thats just off the top of my head, not to mention people who pull out of this years draft.

Yes the ruling is stupid, but there are plenty of terrific college players to go around. As for there being no franchise players this year, I disagree. I can see Rudy Gay, Adam Morrison and Marcus Williams all being cornerstones for their teams for a long time, should they pan out. There are a lot of kids I think will make strong contributions, maybe not All-Stars but good, solid players that can be had in the later rounds.

I agree that there isnt much of a drop-off after the lottery, which is why I was kinda hoping we would trade our pick but whatever. Plus, if you think this years draft is bad look at 2000!
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby Podium on Sat May 27, 2006 7:54 am

Caron1 wrote:This year is just a weird anomoly, there arent that many college stars leaving. Next year off the top of my head we have Joakim Noah and Al Horford, Brandon Rush, Roy Hibbert, Mario Chalmers, Julian Wright, Rayshawn Terry, Taylor Hansborough, Marcus Williams, Aaron Aflallo, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Acie Law, Corey Brewer, Domonic James, Ronald Steele, Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt :man1: , Big Baby and thats just off the top of my head, not to mention people who pull out of this years draft.

and possibly Greg Oden and Josh McRoberts
Podium
Clublakers Analyst

Postby KB24 on Sat May 27, 2006 8:24 am

I have to agree on some of the stuff. You have a draft full of players with 22,23,24 years of age and limited upside. I personally thought the highschoolers are a lot more intriguing because they are 5 years younger than most draftees and do have more time to develop in the NBA and still be young but I think you are exeggerating a little. For most of the kids its a good thing to go to college and learn the fundamentals of basketball. There are very few fundamentally solid players in the NBA.
KB24
Site Admin

Postby reflekt on Sat May 27, 2006 11:07 am

tyrus thomas and rudy gay are the only two players i feel confident about. they both seem like players that will have huge impacts right away, especially if on the right teams.

but then again, you look at a player like dwight howard, and he's putting up just solid so-so numbers.

even kobe and tmac were "ehh" in their 1st years. they were both increidbly young. they both avg'd just 7 points a game. and they needed about 3-4 years to finally develop into 20ppg players. whether we draft these oustanding players when they're young out of high school or not, doesn't really make a difference. the ONLY exception EVER has been lebron. he's one-of-a-kind. and we all know that.

i don't know if i agree with the no high-school draftees rule. but, i might have been the right time to put a stop to it. there would have been just a huge overflow of high school draft players, trying to get to the NBA. we'd have a bunch of high school kids, stuck on benches, trying to get garbage time minutes for 3 years before even finding out if they can play.

look at gerald green, martell webster, cj miles, bynum etc. gerald green is supposed to be the next TMAC. but his game is just too raw and undeveloped. so he's been stuck in the NBDL all year, and it'll probably be the same next year.

by drafting college players (even if it's just after their first year), they at least get a chance to develop their game in solid college programs. it also gives them a chance to mature, think twice about jumping straight to the NBA, as well as 4 chances/years to up their draft position potential.

for joakim noah, he was on nobody's radar. then after just his first year, if he was to enter the draft, he's a potential #1 selection in this years draft.

it's sort of a double edged sword. you run the risk of missing out on a player like greg oden. but you also run the risk of drafting a bunch of youngsters that are too raw, and end up playing in the NBDL for their team for a couple seasons, then still end upon the bench in their 3rd year, fighting for a chance to play.

then again, it's not like it'd hurt greg oden to play for ohio state for 1 year, then enter the draft. he'd only get better.
"He didn't like my toneage, if that's a word." Bryant said. "He's the decider. Is that a word, decider?"
reflekt

Postby bgeeezy21 on Sat May 27, 2006 1:42 pm

I believe Thomas will be solid, but not kill it like some people think he will. I think the guy to watch will be Andrea Bargnani. He is going to be a baller in a couple of years.
40% of the time it works all of the time Shaq shooting free throws!
bgeeezy21

Postby LUUUKE on Sun May 28, 2006 1:01 am

i believe we should just trade our picks
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Return to NBA 2014 Draft