Phil - Looking for 3 shooter/athlete

Phil - Looking for 3 shooter/athlete

Postby Black Mamba on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:26 pm

Purportedly, PJ, on Dan Patrick's show today, emphasized a need for 3 point shooting and athleticism in this day and age.

So who fits the bill assuming they stay at 26?
Black Mamba

Postby eNlight on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:43 pm

he likes redick, but he ain't falling that low. isn't it odd that our organization or writers have never mentioned redick at all? :man1: :man1:
eNlight

Postby MarkMadsen on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:53 pm

Quincy Douby
Shannon Brown
Maurice Ager
Jordan Farmar
Guillermo Diaz
MarkMadsen

Postby kb the assassin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:53 pm

shawne williams
kb the assassin

Postby eNlight on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:56 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:Quincy Douby
Shannon Brown
Maurice Ager
Jordan Farmar
Guillermo Diaz

ager's three's suck. i watched him so much this year
eNlight

Postby LukeWalton on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:18 pm

Sounds like Kareem Rush....Did he mention in the draft or just the need?
LukeWalton

Postby Freakout on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 pm

James White getting a second workout on the 23rd against Hassan Adams.
Freakout

Postby Black Mamba on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 pm

Luke- I didn't hear it but the recaps seem to indicate that he made the comment in the context of the draft.

But, knowing PJ's preference for tri-knowledge, I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting Rush back if the price was right.
Black Mamba

Postby effalllakerhaters on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 pm

he said athletic so rush and reddick should be OUT.
effalllakerhaters

Postby mulisha on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Freakout wrote:James White getting a second workout on the 23rd against Hassan Adams.

I wouldn't be shocked to see White get picked with our 26th pick. He's one of those guys that has the tools but has yet to put them together. High risk/high reward pick if you ask me.

Also depends on who's available. Diaz also fits the athletic/shooter mold.
mulisha

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:50 pm

[quote="mulisha"][quote="Freakout"]James White getting a second workout on the 23rd against Hassan Adams.[/quote]

I wouldn't be shocked to see White get picked with our 26th pick. He's one of those guys that has the tools but has yet to put them together. High risk/high reward pick if you ask me.

Also depends on who's available. Diaz also fits the athletic/shooter mold.[/quote]

Mulisha,
I also think its going to be James White. The guy has blown people away in workouts on offense and defense. White definitely fits into what PJ is asking for.
pureuncut100

Postby slimjim on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:59 pm

not really a high risk...

it's a 26th pick...

trading vlade for kobe...

now that's a high risk high reward type of scenario
slimjim

Postby JMon348 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:11 pm

id love James White, i think he can be a mix of Iggy/Josh Howard
JMon348

Postby mulisha on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:50 pm

slimjim wrote:not really a high risk...

it's a 26th pick...

What I'm saying is that it could end being a waste of a pick (he is projected somewhere in the 2nd round) but it may end up being great. And wasting a first round pick is definitely not something the Lakers can afford to do right now. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in the 1st.
mulisha

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm

If we were to get James White, we should trade down to get something extra (perhaps trade with Minnesota for the #36 and #37 picks) and take him there. Honestly, I can't see White getting into the first round when there are many talented, standout players (Lowry, Barea, Tucker, Freeland, etc.) still jockeying for position to get there.

If Phil emphasizes three point shooting coupled with athleticism, I agree with the fact that Shannon Brown and perhaps even Quincy Douby would be good choices there. It seems that many scouts, however, have lost some hope on Douby as his stock has been plummeting this past week (fell from mid-1st to late-1st). But either pick would be fine; Douby has a more diversified offensive game, whereas Brown has more polish within the team system. I tend to believe Brown would be a better fit here.

Guillermo Diaz would provide us with some athleticism, but as for three point shooting?...I'm iffy on that. I mean, he can certainly shoot and get hot from three point range, but he's not an overly reliable three point shooter; that's just a part of his offensive game. If we want three point shooting, there are better options than him.

Jordan Farmar has a streaky shot; not a three point shooter yet. But it's amazing how athletic he really is, I'll give you that. As for Ager, he's a slasher and a shooter who can get hot for spurts, but I won't exactly call him a three point shooter.

Shawne Williams, once he refines his skills, can potentially provide us with athleticism and three point shooting. He's only a 31% three point shooter but he has great potential to be good in this area. He's long, but his athleticism is not out of this world, but he's definitely serviceable for the NBA in that area. If Phil wants three point shooting, I think there are better alternatives than Williams at this stage. If he wants potential players with a good skill set, Williams would be a good guy to draft.

Another guy to consider for athleticism and three point shooting is Marcus "Marquinhos" Vinicius. His attributes are quite similar to Williams, however, as he's only a serviceable athlete and his three point shot can get a little streaky. However, he can be an all-around player once he makes use of his length and physical tools, as his skill set is already fairly decent. Phil seems to like him with the Triangle offense, but it seems like some scouts have lost some interest in him after a recent poor showing at Treviso. He's more of an all-around potential pick rather than a specialized three point shooter pick, however, so I don't think he's the best choice for that as well.

I think Shannon Brown would be the best pick for that.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:00 pm

rydjorker121

How do you know that Phil Jackson likes Vinicius? I have not heard much about the players the Lakers like except for Roy and he is unattainable.
pureuncut100

Postby slimjim on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:10 pm

mulisha wrote:
slimjim wrote:not really a high risk...

it's a 26th pick...

What I'm saying is that it could end being a waste of a pick (he is projected somewhere in the 2nd round) but it may end up being great. And wasting a first round pick is definitely not something the Lakers can afford to do right now. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in the 1st.

ahh ic what you mean... :mhihi:
slimjim

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:18 pm

None of us know what the Lakers are seeing. If the Lakers see an aspect of James Whites game that would really excel in the NBA they should go for him. The same goes for every player in this draft. Granted, generally speaking you want to get first round talent with your first round pick. But at the same time everyone has different opinions and the Lakers are picking 26, not 8th. If the Lakers see an Andrei Kirilinko or Gilbert Arenas at the 26th pick, they better take it. If they see a Gerald Wallace at the 26th pick they better take it.
pureuncut100

Postby Crispy on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:54 pm

i think the lakers should get another "project" with the 26th pick because whoever they pick are only gonna get like 4 min a game anyways. might as well pick a player with upside.

shawne williams :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Crispy

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:06 pm

Do you think Shawne WIlliams will be available at the 26th pick. I personally dont think so. On June 23 the Lakers are bringing back James White for a second workout, 5 days before the draft. White wouldnt be a bad bet at 26. If you consider the guy is 23 and PJ wasnt a contributer next year, it really isnt a bad bet.
pureuncut100

Postby TalkieWalkie on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:18 pm

This topic has Kareem Rush written all over it...

Brace yourselves for a Phil Jackson draft-pick..............
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby purplehaze on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:34 pm

pureuncut100 wrote:Do you think Shawne WIlliams will be available at the 26th pick. I personally dont think so. On June 23 the Lakers are bringing back James White for a second workout, 5 days before the draft. White wouldnt be a bad bet at 26. If you consider the guy is 23 and PJ wasnt a contributer next year, it really isnt a bad bet.

James White is the guy I said it 2 weeks ago he's long athletic and can play defense.
purplehaze

Postby KB24 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:43 pm

This team had a lot of players that can do nothing but shoot threes.
Wafer, Jimmy, Sasha, Gump, Cook, and Kobe and Smush gunning a lot from downtown. Seriously what we need are athletic defenders, guys that can take it to the rim. :bang:

I hope thats our priority.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby flexxdzl on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:49 pm

^^^^ We had people who shot 3's not people who could make threes ..day in and day out...I don't think we will waist our pick on a 3 point shooter...we prob will..grab kapono..because MIA is letting him go...and if we would pick one it should be at 51..JJ reddick..would be perfect ..for that roll
flexxdzl

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:00 pm

The Lakers could get close to Reddick, but they would have to give up Chris Mihm to do it. The Lakers could easily move up to the 15th or 14th spot by trading Mihm and whatever else to make it work. Would Reddick be there at 14 or 15, I dont know.

Based on what Sasha was doing in the playoffs, I might just watch his developement and keep Mihm. The Lakers are so damn young that we all have to be patient. No need to trade until we know what we have on our bench. Unless we know we are winning in a deal, lets be patient.
pureuncut100

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft