Pitt's Gray declares for NBA draft

Pitt's Gray declares for NBA draft

Postby JSM on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:53 pm

MSNBC: Pitt's Aaron Gray, a 7-footer chosen All-Big East in his first season as a starter, plans to skip his senior year and enter the NBA draft.

The center has not signed with an agent, allowing him to withdraw from the June 28 draft and return for another season.

"The draft process will provide me a great learning experience and will help me become a better player,'' Gray said in a statement released by the school. "Academically, I am well on my way to graduating and earning a degree and that is a priority for me.''

Gray talked with coach Jamie Dixon before making up his mind.

"We've been counseling him each step of the way and will continue to do so over the next two months,'' Dixon said. "This is a logical step for Aaron to take and we will support him wholeheartedly.''

After backing up Chris Taft the previous two seasons, Gray averaged 13.9 points and led the conference in rebounding with a 10.5 average, helping Pitt (25-8) reach the second round of the NCAA tournament. Gray was the first Pitt player since Jerome Lane in 1987-88 to average double figures in scoring and rebounding.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft