Powe to work out with Lakers

Powe to work out with Lakers

Postby JSM on Wed May 10, 2006 10:22 am

Contra Costa Times: Cal sophomore Leon Powe, who made himself available for the NBA draft last month but did not hire an agent, has an individual workout scheduled Friday with the Los Angeles Lakers. Powe also will work out for the Warriors on May 23.

Powe's unofficial guardian, Bernard Ward, said he has heard from several other teams and expects Powe to schedule more workouts. Since Powe has not hired an agent, he can decide to return to Cal if he withdraws his name from the draft by the June 18 deadline. The draft is on June 28.

Here's a little bit about him...
6-8
245 pounds
PF

NBA Draft.net: NBA Comparison: Larry Johnson

Strengths: Very talented offensive player with the ability to play back to the basket or face up ... Explosive leaping ability despite the knee injuries ... Has great quickness, and crafty at getting around defenders to the basket ... Has a nose for the basket ... Very competitive and talented player, a real difference maker on the college level ... Ball handling is very good for a big forward ... Shooting ability out to 18 feet is good ... Has great upper body strength ... Super long arms and big hands make him like a magnet grabbing loose balls ... Great motor, competes hard ...

Weaknesses: Injuries to his knees have required two major reconstructive surgeries. The fear of another knee injury is there, so proving he can remain healthy through his Junior year would help his chances of getting drafted in the first round ... He's undersized to play power forward in the NBA, but has good athleticism and long arms ... Has good speed, but looks very awkward running the court, his back is always upright, he never leans forward, and his legs don't extend fully ... Lacks the passing ability and perimeter skills to play small forward ...

Notes: Led the Pac-Ten in rebounding as a freshman, two years ago. Came into Cal rated as one of the top 5 prospects in the country.

Draft Express doesn't have him coming out until the 07 draft. And rank him #14 out of the top 20 PFs.

NBA Draft.net have him going 38th in this year's draft.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am

I haven't seen him play, but we could draft him in 2nd round.
Next season I don't think he'll make Lakers roster, but with hard-work nothing is impossible.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby halekulani on Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 am

yay yuh :jam2:
btw, i guarantee he won't drop to 51.
halekulani

Postby lakerfanimal on Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 pm

this guys amazing, i remember he impressed me when he was a freshman, hes gona be a good power forward i think.
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby Dizzmal on Thu May 11, 2006 7:58 am

Powe is gonna be a great player in this league. He's got the body and the skill to be a legitimate post player offensively and defesively. He'd be a good pick early second round, so I don't see the Lakers getting him. Plus, there's better power forwards like Paul Millsap that we can get with the 26th pick.
Dizzmal

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu May 11, 2006 9:57 am

Dizzmal wrote:Powe is gonna be a great player in this league. He's got the body and the skill to be a legitimate post player offensively and defesively. He'd be a good pick early second round, so I don't see the Lakers getting him. Plus, there's better power forwards like Paul Millsap that we can get with the 26th pick.

Or Marco Killingsworth.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby JSM on Thu May 11, 2006 10:05 am

I don't think Powe, Killingsworth, or Millsap would be a smart pick with our first round selection. That would be taking Powe and Killingsworth too soon. None of those three would be worth our pick in the 1st. No need to take a big man that early, when you can find someone to fill the role nearly as well in the second round.

I'd much rather take Shawne Williams in the 1st.

Then either trade up a little in the second if needed. But this is who I'd target in the 2nd round: Solomon Jones, Justin Williams, or Taj Gray.
JSM

Postby trodgers on Thu May 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Dude looks crazy-jacked...I've never seen him play.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Thu May 11, 2006 4:47 pm

He looks to be in amazing shape, just a little small for a big man.

NBA Draft.net: Leon Powe Workout

NBADraft.net attended an informal workout for Leon Powe on Monday. Powe is looking as athletic and ripped as ever. He was impressive running the floor, shooting the ball well, and running through a series of plyometric drills.

He's definitely 6-7 as opposed to the 6-8 that he was listed, but his wingspan allows him to play much bigger than his height.

He's got a legit 7-foot plus wingspan, and his arms are extremely strong. His standing reach is that of a 6-9 player so his height is less of an issue. His body is incredibly ripped, he looks like he jumped out of a muscle magazine.

On the negative side, his shooting stroke is a liability as he has a mechanical release and shoots the ball too low. His release point is similar to Shawn Marion's.

Talking to NBA scouts, they wouldn't rule out the possibility of him getting into the first round but the consensus is that he's most likely an early to mid second rounder if he chooses to remain in this year's draft.

Despite his tremendous physique, one scout said they still have concerns about his ability to explode in traffic.

Proving that he can remain injury free for another season at Cal could put scouts minds at ease about his past knee problems.
JSM

Postby trodgers on Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 pm

He is fairly ripped, but could put on some mass if he's going to play PF.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby NormNix on Mon May 15, 2006 5:07 pm

6'6" and half?

no thanks
NormNix

Postby Oneyra86 on Tue May 16, 2006 3:20 pm

When this guy plays he reminds he a lot like Ike Diogu, except he doesnt have the weight like him but the height is there.
Oneyra86

Postby LakersChamps04 on Tue May 16, 2006 3:21 pm

just based off the analysis he sounds like elton brand
LakersChamps04

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Tue May 16, 2006 4:14 pm

I saw him play at STAPLES this year vs SC and was really impressed. He is undersized but has a nice offensive arsenal and excellent footwork on both ends. His real strength is his WINGPSAN, something Phil covets in the triangle. Even though he is traditionally undersized for PF, he has a lot of natural instincts and I could see the Lakers taking him at 26.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby BadNewsBear on Tue May 16, 2006 6:35 pm

Another year of school would really help him. I'd rather draft Millsap at 26.
BadNewsBear

Postby Warriors&Lakers on Tue May 16, 2006 6:54 pm

i bet he could play sf too if he worked on his ball handling and expand his a range a bit
Warriors&Lakers

Postby JSM on Tue May 16, 2006 11:30 pm

Caron1 wrote:I saw him play at STAPLES this year vs SC and was really impressed. He is undersized but has a nice offensive arsenal and excellent footwork on both ends. His real strength is his WINGPSAN, something Phil covets in the triangle. Even though he is traditionally undersized for PF, he has a lot of natural instincts and I could see the Lakers taking him at 26.

I don't know Caron, he's 6-6...6-7. And after Louis Amundson shut him up, down, and over in their workouts; I'd be hesitant to spend a first round pick on a guy who has a PF mentality, a SF body, and is a second round talent.
JSM

Return to NBA 2014 Draft