Promises for Aldridge and Roy?

Promises for Aldridge and Roy?

Postby hakbottom on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:27 am

Found this article by Chad Ford on ESPN Insider, slightly long.

Michael Jordan got a rude welcome back to the NBA on Thursday.

It was his first full day in Charlotte as co-owner of the Bobcats, and he had planned a big predraft workout with Tyrus Thomas, LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay.

Michael was there. But of the four prospects, only Gay showed.

According to the Bobcats, Thomas (groin), Aldridge (ankle) and Roy (hamstring) all claimed injuries kept them from working out for His Airness.

However, injuries apparently were not the real reason, at least for Aldridge and Roy.

Arn Tellem, who is the agent for both Aldridge and Roy, told me Thursday evening that while Roy had "a slight hamstring issue," injuries were not the reason his clients didn't show.

"They didn't show because I'm very comfortable where they're going in the draft," Tellem said.

Asked if that meant that a specific team had committed to taking them, Tellem said, "I know where they're going, yes."

As you would expect, Tellem wasn't as forthcoming about exactly which teams would select Aldridge and Roy, but he did tell me that both players were done working out.

But why not work out for the No. 3 team in the draft?

Does that mean Aldridge and Roy are going No. 1 and No. 2?

Not necessarily, according to Tellem.

"I've never been caught up on the number of where a guy goes," Tellem said. "It's about finding the right situation for our clients. In this case, we've found a good fit for both of them, so there's no need for them to work out for anyone else."

Does that mean Tellem would discourage other teams from drafting Aldridge or Roy?

"I don't think it will get to that," Tellem said. "Both are going very high. But if that needs to happen, I'll do it."

Considering the rumors that Thomas already has a promise (which his agents vehemently deny), something strange is happening.

How can all of these guys have promises?

Combine those reports with Tellem's confirmation of the rumor that Duke's Shelden Williams also has a "high promise," and that means three or four guys are off the board in the early stages of the lottery, potentially.

If the reports are true, either someone took a promise later in the lottery than expected or one of these guys thinks he's going higher than he is.

Even if you doubt Thomas has a promise, you still have to fit those other three into the picture somewhere at the top, if they indeed have promises.

Here's what we think we know:

Toronto said as of late Wednesday that its decision was still "wide open." I don't think the Raptors have promised anyone anything -- it wouldn't make much sense for the team holding the No. 1 pick to have made a promise.

Also on Wednesday, a Bulls source denied making a deal with Thomas and said they were still deciding what to do with the No. 2 pick.

Certainly it appears the Bobcats, picking No. 3, haven't made a promise. To think they've made a promise to Aldridge or Roy, we'd have to believe they had Jordan come down to Charlotte and go through an elaborate ruse with the the complicity of several players and agents.

The Blazers, who have the No. 4 pick, have been widely thought to be after Adam Morrison, not Aldridge or Roy.

The Hawks, holding the No. 5 pick, are widely believed to be the team that has made a promise to draft Williams.

All in all, it's far from clear what this new information from Tellem means for the draft.

I can only speculate, but here are three scenarios that make some sense:

1. Let's say the Bulls have decided to draft Roy at No. 2 or they've agreed to a trade and are taking Roy for another team. The Lakers have been after Roy and there's been a lot of speculation about Lamar Odom coming to Chicago in such a trade.

And let's say the Blazers have decided that getting an interior presence like LaMarcus Aldridge, who can play some center, is more important drafting than a fan favorite like Adam Morrison. Aldridge, in this scenario, would know he's not going to Chicago and would figure he can get more playing time in Portland than in Charlotte, which has a crowded frontcourt.

2. Or the situation could be reversed, with the Bulls deciding to take Aldridge and the Blazers wanting Roy. But in that scenario, I can't understand why Roy or his agent would think that the Blazers would be a better fit than the Bobcats.

3. There has been talk of Houston moving up a few spots in the draft to No. 5 or No. 6 in exchange for Luther Head and the No. 8 pick. If that happens, the Rockets could be moving up to nab Roy. Remember, his agent, Tellem, also negotiated the trade that got Tracy McGrady, another Tellem client, to Houston, and Tellem may be trying to deliver another vital player to help T-Mac in his title quest.

Tellem's information adds up to a potential problem for Charlotte, which might have to either select between players who haven't worked out for Jordan -- including Aldridge, Roy, Thomas and Morrison -- or take Rudy Gay, who has worked out for Jordan but is thought not to be his first choice.

In fact, Thursday's turn of events was enough to tick off Bobcats GM Bernie Bickerstaff, who said he was "frustrated" by the wave of cancelations.

"Bottom line, we're just not happy with the way things went down,'' he told the Charlotte Observer.

The draft just got a whole lot more mysterious, folks.
hakbottom

Postby Cruiser on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:52 am

Mitch lost again. On draft day, Houston and Minn are swapping picks. Roy is headed to Houston. Arn Tellum believes that the Rockets (McGrady is one of his clients) is the best fit for Roy.

Roy may have cancelled his workout with Charlotte, but he has one coming up with Houston. And he won't cancel that one.
Cruiser

Postby GuRu on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:08 am

Cruiser wrote:Mitch lost again. On draft day, Houston and Minn are swapping picks. Roy is headed to Houston. Arn Tellum believes that the Rockets (McGrady is one of his clients) is the best fit for Roy.

Roy may have cancelled his workout with Charlotte, but he has one coming up with Houston. And he won't cancel that one.

1. This is Chad "quick, tell them anything, the draft is near" Ford. All of this is pure speculation based on hearsay and observations.

2. Beyond the talking head of Chad Ford, the entire basis of this info comes from a cryptic comment by Arm Tellum, a friggin sports agent. The greasiest of the all the grease balls in the grease pit. Yeah, Id take his word to the bank....

3a. While it does mention Minny and Houston swapping picks, it doesnt mean they are doing it for Roy necessarily. If the Laker deal went down Roy could already be off teh board.

3b. While you chose to listen to the Houston-Minny swap and accept that as fact, you somehow managed to skip over the mention of the rumored Odom for #2 deal. Ford presented both scenarios, why choose just to believe one?

4a. Mitch lost again? First of all we dont even know if Mitch is really even trying to make a deal for the #2. Its nothing but speculation run rampant, just as was the Bender and #17 deal last year. How can you lose at something you may not even be trying for?

4b. Mitch lost again? I know many people on this board that wouldnt exactly define not trading Odom for unproven rookies and a gamble trade X a "loss"
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby Frank The Tank on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:13 am

GuRu wrote:4b. Mitch lost again? I know many people on this board that wouldnt exactly define not trading Odom for unproven rookies and a gamble trade X a "loss"
Exactly. It wouldnt be a loss, it would just mean that we didnt take a HUGE risk.
Frank The Tank

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:52 am

Lakerman91 wrote:
GuRu wrote:4b. Mitch lost again? I know many people on this board that wouldnt exactly define not trading Odom for unproven rookies and a gamble trade X a "loss"
Exactly. It wouldnt be a loss, it would just mean that we didnt take a HUGE risk.

agreed.

And once again since we need a PF and a guard we would hbe pretty stupid to pick Roy and not Aldridge. You know solid/good guards are always available but a decent PF is almost never on the block unless you greatly overpay. I would hope we think big so IF a trade happens (which I do not hope) please go and pick the 7 footer instead the dime a dozen guard.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby purplengoldjonez on Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:59 am

GuRu wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Mitch lost again. On draft day, Houston and Minn are swapping picks. Roy is headed to Houston. Arn Tellum believes that the Rockets (McGrady is one of his clients) is the best fit for Roy.

1. This is Chad "quick, tell them anything, the draft is near" Ford. All of this is pure speculation based on hearsay and observations.

2. Beyond the talking head of Chad Ford, the entire basis of this info comes from a cryptic comment by Arm Tellum, a friggin sports agent. The greasiest of the all the grease balls in the grease pit. Yeah, Id take his word to the bank....

3a. While it does mention Minny and Houston swapping picks, it doesnt mean they are doing it for Roy necessarily. If the Laker deal went down Roy could already be off teh board.

3b. While you chose to listen to the Houston-Minny swap and accept that as fact, you somehow managed to skip over the mention of the rumored Odom for #2 deal. Ford presented both scenarios, why choose just to believe one?

4a. Mitch lost again? First of all we dont even know if Mitch is really even trying to make a deal for the #2. Its nothing but speculation run rampant, just as was the Bender and #17 deal last year. How can you lose at something you may not even be trying for?

4b. Mitch lost again? I know many people on this board that wouldnt exactly define not trading Odom for unproven rookies and a gamble trade X a "loss"

:jam2: nicely said guru
What is 17,505
purplengoldjonez

Postby Still A Dynasty on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:37 am

I just want something to hppen

cant wait til the draft
Still A Dynasty

Postby Klewfish on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:38 am

Wow I also didn't realize the draft was so near, 5 days away folks, and it will all be sorted out!
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby Flatlyner on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:39 am

KB8@CL wrote:
Lakerman91 wrote:

agreed.

And once again since we need a PF and a guard we would hbe pretty stupid to pick Roy and not Aldridge. You know solid/good guards are always available but a decent PF is almost never on the block unless you greatly overpay. I would hope we think big so IF a trade happens (which I do not hope) please go and pick the 7 footer instead the dime a dozen guard.

Well, I'm not sure anyone shares the opinion of Roy being a dime a dozen guard, but, I could be wrong. Also, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the Chicago trade happening, and us targeting a different prospect (i.e. Gay, Alridge, Thomas). I do not think the Lakers would tip their hand and announce who they are most enamoured by. That basically assures you that teams will make you overpay.
Flatlyner

Postby karacha on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:45 am

What if we get someone in the draft that becomes a new Chris Paul!? :man4:

:man6:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TrixR4Kids on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 am

Draftexpress talks about roy and aldridge pulling out of their workout with the bobcats.

it also says that roy has a workout tomorrow with the rockets, which means he doesn't really have a promise yet. if he did, he wouldn't still be doing workouts

here's the link...the story is about two thirds the way down the page

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1363
TrixR4Kids

Postby GuRu on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:52 am

karacha wrote:What if we get someone in the draft that becomes a new Chris Paul!? :man4:

And what if we dont?

This is the kind of thinking that completely engulfs fans right around this time of year. The dreams of the quick fix, hitting the lotto in the draft, and thus.....the overrating of draft picks.

Unfortunately, this isnt NBA2K6. And tradin everyone on our roster for 3 lottery picks isnt plausible or practical.
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby karacha on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:04 am

GuRu wrote:
karacha wrote:What if we get someone in the draft that becomes a new Chris Paul!? :man4:

And what if we dont?

This is the kind of thinking that completely engulfs fans right around this time of year. The dreams of the quick fix, hitting the lotto in the draft, and thus.....the overrating of draft picks.

Unfortunately, this isnt NBA2K6. And tradin everyone on our roster for 3 lottery picks isnt plausible or practical.

I know. And you should know me better. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby MarkMadsen on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:08 am

This is why I dislike trade rumuors. Fans become so excited with something they hear ablout, then when it doesnt happen they end up of course blaming Mitch for not getting a deal done that could of just been nothing but speculation to begin with.
MarkMadsen

Postby west-magic-kobe on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:10 am

this is ridiculous. lakers are not trading lamar odom ...........period. the lakers should and probably will trade mihm but i am even starting to doubt if that will happen because i think phil wants him on the team. stop torturing yourselves hoping for a trade that 95% wont happen.
sad to say but kobe has become all drama & no rings. TRADE THIS WEIRDO!
west-magic-kobe

Postby nameant on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:19 am

I have a hard time believing we'd trade LO for a rookie. if a rookie came straight into the league and played like LO, they'd be hands down ROY (like Chris Paul was this year). I have a hard time believing that could happen. this will probably just set us back.
nameant

Postby nn4299 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:22 am

If that #2 pick goes anywhere, it's probably going to Phoenix.

the Bulls and Suns are giving serious thought to a trade in which Suns forward Shawn Marion would be jettisoned to the Bulls for power forward Tyson Chandler and the Bulls' top draft pick, which is the second overall choice. ...

http://journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?blogid=24

Imagine if the Suns draft a shooter and scorer like Morrison. I'd do this trade just to stop the Suns from improving even more.
nn4299

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 am

That's kind of cool...maybe the Teelum guy likes Kobe and is trying to get one to Houston to help out T-Mac and another to L.A. to help us...or maybe it isn't the agent and it is the players...this is getting more and more interesting every day as the draft gets closer and closer.....
The Laker Link

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:53 am

nn4299 wrote:If that #2 pick goes anywhere, it's probably going to Phoenix.

the Bulls and Suns are giving serious thought to a trade in which Suns forward Shawn Marion would be jettisoned to the Bulls for power forward Tyson Chandler and the Bulls' top draft pick, which is the second overall choice. ...

Imagine if the Suns draft a shooter and scorer like Morrison. I'd do this trade just to stop the Suns from improving even more.

I completely disagree. Marion allows that team to do so many things. Chandler is a 24 minute a game defensive player with no offensive game. They need a sg, so Roy might be the pick or Gay. Even so, Marion is far and away a better player than anything they can get for the second pick and Chandler to me is useless.
Savory Griddles

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:04 am

Hillarious how the Bulls fans are excited over Marion but feel Mihm + Odom is a rip. Maybe they didnt watch the playoffs.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby nn4299 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:07 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
nn4299 wrote:If that #2 pick goes anywhere, it's probably going to Phoenix.

I completely disagree. Marion allows that team to do so many things. Chandler is a 24 minute a game defensive player with no offensive game. They need a sg, so Roy might be the pick or Gay. Even so, Marion is far and away a better player than anything they can get for the second pick and Chandler to me is useless.

The Suns got killed inside by US out of all teams. Look at what Odom did to Marion in the playoffs. ODOM!! Chandler would bolster their interior d and Marion's shotblocking would be negated by Chandler's shotblocking abilities. Initially, I was thinking the same thing about Roy or Gay filling their SG position but imagine adding Morrison to that offense as a 6th man along with Chandler's D. Amare will be at full strength next season as well.
nn4299

Postby nn4299 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:09 am

Da Veinticuatro wrote:Hillarious how the Bulls fans are excited over Marion but feel Mihm + Odom is a rip. Maybe they didnt watch the playoffs.

I don't know why the Bulls would pick Marion over Odom, unless this is a smokescreen and the Bulls are trying to force the Laker's hand.
nn4299

Postby LakerWraith on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am

well the draft will come in a few days...so we can all sit back and relax... :man12:
LakerWraith

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:16 pm

LakerWraith wrote:well the draft will come in a few days...so we can all sit back and relax... :man12:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby hakbottom on Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:24 pm

Marion is an overrated player. He fits the Suns style perfectly, once he leaves that system he will not be as effective. He has a track record of being shut down in the playoffs, just look at what Bruce Bowen did to him three years ago and Odom this year. He is not a half-court player, just does not have the skill set.
hakbottom

Return to NBA 2014 Draft