UK's Rondo to Hire Agent, Enter NBA Draft

UK's Rondo to Hire Agent, Enter NBA Draft

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:18 pm

AP: Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo has played his last basketball game as a Kentucky Wildcat.

Rondo said Tuesday that he is hiring an agent and hopes to become a high pick in the NBA draft. The move to get an agent means Rondo won't be eligible to play college basketball again.

Rondo made the announcement alongside coach Tubby Smith, who said he would miss the quick point guard, but acknowledged he should be one of the nation's top picks. Rondo led the Wildcats this season in virtually every category - points, rebounds, assists and steals.

Rondo, a McDonald's high school All-American from Louisville, was considered the quickest and most athletic of the guard-heavy lineup. But midway through Kentucky's season, subpar by the school's standards, Smith benched Rondo and several other starters in an attempt to ignite the team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby tooindapinky on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:14 am

this is the guy we should shoot for...could be a lethal triangle pg if he improved his shot
tooindapinky

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 am

He's got guts going out and picking up an agent, but he'll be drafted barring any catostrophic workouts. Those will just help his stock rise anyway.

It'd be nice to see him playing alongside his old Oak Hill running mate Josh Smith. Don't know if the Hawks can make that happen (they shouldn't give up their top 5 pick - they should be using that to eye Noah, Thomas, and Aldridge)
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby In The Key on Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 am

I haven't seen Tyrus Thomas play. How's his game?

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Postby bhatta on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:03 am

In The Key wrote:I haven't seen Tyrus Thomas play. How's his game?
Its a pretty raw game, pogo stick defensive player in the mold of Stromile Swift. What intrigues most GMs is his ability to get up and block shots, rebound, and dunk the ball. He's a great finisher, but is still very, very raw.

Let's not derail this thread from Rondo, though. Feel free to start a thread on Thomas if you want :)
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Rondo has great physical attributes, and if it weren't for this season and his jumpshot, he would definitely be a lottery lock. Not too many point guards have the sort of sick 7'0" wingspan, harassing defensive ability, stealing ability, and most of all, rebounding ability, that he has. He's also a pure PG with great passing ability, always able to find the open man. It's just that Tubby Smith held him back at his sophomore year, playing him less and agitating Rondo at times, that really dropped him to a mid-1st rounder. And of course, he still has that atrocious jumpshot all PGs need. Those are big but correctable weaknesses given his physical gifts, so he's pretty much a 1st round lock.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby Aike on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:55 pm

I think Rondo will move into the top ten once he works out for everybody. He is the single fastest player that I've ever seen. His shot is ugly as sin, but his biggest problem is the way he sets up and aims it. When he HAS to shoot a shot with clock running down in a pressure situation, he is much more pure. At the next level, he will get to the rim like Tony Parker.
Aike

Postby GCMD on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:58 pm

He'll go top 10..don't worry...
GCMD

Postby Frank The Tank on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:58 am

This is the guy I want. Too bad he wont drop to us. :man5:
Frank The Tank

rondo

Postby scarface223 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:23 pm

Did u know, Rajon Rondo has a 7'2" wingspan!!! THATS INSANE for a guard, thats as long as Tayshaun Prince, he could become a defensive monster!
scarface223

Postby eNlight on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:28 pm

:man5: i don't know why he doesn't impress me
eNlight

Postby Still A Dynasty on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 pm

DO IT
Still A Dynasty

Re: rondo

Postby jminges on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:05 pm

scarface223 wrote:Did u know, Rajon Rondo has a 7'2" wingspan!!! THATS INSANE for a guard, thats as long as Tayshaun Prince, he could become a defensive monster!

I thought it was 6-10... where did you get 7-2 from? He has huge hands, like Michael Jordan or Elton Brand, where he shoots free throws with just one hand (mostly with his palm). He's only 6-2, 6-3 tops. He's very quick laterally... what concerned me... was how easily Marcus Williams penetrated late in the NCAA tournament by him.

He's definitely one of the best defensive point guards in the draft, possibly in a decade.
Image. LETS GO LA!!!
jminges

Re: rondo

Postby Aike on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:48 pm

jminges wrote:
scarface223 wrote:Did u know, Rajon Rondo has a 7'2" wingspan!!! THATS INSANE for a guard, thats as long as Tayshaun Prince, he could become a defensive monster!

I thought it was 6-10... where did you get 7-2 from? He has huge hands, like Michael Jordan or Elton Brand, where he shoots free throws with just one hand (mostly with his palm). He's only 6-2, 6-3 tops. He's very quick laterally... what concerned me... was how easily Marcus Williams penetrated late in the NCAA tournament by him.

He's definitely one of the best defensive point guards in the draft, possibly in a decade.

He still makes poor decisions at times defensively, gambles for steals, etc. BUT, all the tools are there.

As far as D-ing up Williams, I would say first of all, that really good point guards are almost impossible to consistently shut down 1 on 1 these days. On the flip side, I've never seen anyone stop Rondo from penetrating when they decided to challenge him.

Also, with 30 seconds to go in that UCONN game, Rondo played tough D on Williams, blocked his shot, but got called for a foul. JMHO, but I thought Rondo got the job done there and the ref bailed Williams out.

Anyway, you might be talking about the two best pgs available, so I'm not sure how big of a knock this is on Rondo. I think both of those guys will be excellent pros, but Rondo is just more of a a physical freak than Williams.
Aike

Return to NBA 2013 Draft