Sergio Rodriguez...

Sergio Rodriguez...

Postby GCMD on Wed May 31, 2006 3:45 am

If LAL can trade up, that's who they should take...PG who's athletic enough to play solid D but pure enough to make the game easier for everyone else, particularly KOBE...

He's a better passer and dribbler than Williams...I'd like to see LAL go to a more uptempo style...

I doubt LAL can trade up into the lottery but if they can, this is the guy I'd like to see them pickup...
GCMD

Postby KB24 on Wed May 31, 2006 3:53 am

stats in Europe
5 ppg, 3.7 assists a game

you are right. Mitch lets go after another "proven" Euro....

The guy plays turnstyle defense and has a very shaky J.

please tell me you are kidding Game...

btw thats his scouting report if you are interested

Phenomenal ballhandling skills and court vision. A good athlete with nice size to boot. Started off the season slow, but is putting up solid assist numbers towards the end of the year in the toughest domestic league in Europe. Inconsistent perimeter shot and matador defense are huge knocks against him. Clearly a couple of years away still.

He is a player that never fits Jacksons triangle. I hope an NBA team makes a huge mistake and picks him up but please not the Lakers.
Last edited by KB24 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KB24
Site Admin

Postby RHCP on Wed May 31, 2006 7:19 pm

I got him with the 49th pick in the Purple League Draft. :mhihi:
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby GCMD on Wed May 31, 2006 8:07 pm

KB8@CL wrote:stats in Europe

Phenomenal ballhandling skills and court vision. A good athlete with nice size to boot. Started off the season slow, but is putting up solid assist numbers towards the end of the year in the toughest domestic league in Europe. Inconsistent perimeter shot and matador defense are huge knocks against him. Clearly a couple of years away still.

He is a player that never fits Jacksons triangle. I hope an NBA team makes a huge mistake and picks him up but please not the Lakers.

I think he'll be a good player...we will see...

If he lands in the right situation, he will be a difference maker in the NBA...he's got the style and flash that will bring people to the seats and make mediocre players weem like AllStars...
GCMD

Postby Dizzmal on Wed May 31, 2006 9:16 pm

If we trade up in the top 10, we should be looking at 3 players: Brandon Roy, Marcus Williams and Rajon Rondo. If that Portland trade goes through, why not try to snag Rudy Gay to fill in for George off the bench, not to mention gain some more potential for this team?
Dizzmal

Postby Snake Eyes on Wed May 31, 2006 10:05 pm

What about Rodney Carney?
Snake Eyes

Postby eNlight on Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:What about Rodney Carney?

lotto pick no doubt, this dude is VC/RJ
eNlight

Postby Mr. Sampton on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:
What about Rodney Carney?

lotto pick no doubt, this dude is VC/RJ

I know he was good in college...but I think he is a bit overrated...he looked horrible in the ucla game this year...he is athletic, but doesn't seem like that reliable of a shooter...if we can get Roy, that is a great pick...if not, take douby, shannon brown or diaz....we need proven shot makers who can be a combo guard with kobe...i would love to get powe from cal too...i think he is a beast...he and lamar at forward would be sweet.
Mr. Sampton

Postby LUUUKE on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:27 pm

KB8@CL wrote:stats in Europe

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:What about Rodney Carney?

He's the next RJ and will be gone by the 13th pick.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Jumaine on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:30 am

I love Rodriguez. He's a fantastic player. A true pass first PG and incredibly flashy. My type of a player.
He's still very young and he has a plenty of room for improvement.

I don't think the Lakers are interested in him but he'd be a great addition, no doubt about it.

Check out some of his vids, dude's a real deal

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gBa0dqhRdas& ... 0rodriguez

With that said, I don't think I want him on the Lakers because he isn't a triangle type of a player and he's more flash than impact but he's gonna be a fun player to watch regardless of what team he plays for.

Really, really flashy..
Jumaine

Postby KB24 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:40 am

He is not exactly what we need. A flashy PG is nice on Phoenix but not here in the triangle. What we need is great D and solid outside shot and those 2 things are huge knocks on Sergio. Its not just about picking up someone, its about getting a player that fits your team phylosophy and can add something to your lineup. Defense should be our TOP priority.
KB24
Site Admin

Postby aynatruf on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:43 am

Boston Herald - Sergio Rodriguez worked out for the Celtics on Friday after a workout with Phoenix earlier this week, also has dates scheduled with the Lakers, Chicago and Sacramento.

“In eight days I will see the whole country,” the 6-foot-3 guard, compared because of his offensive flair to Miami’s Jason Williams. He has even been given the nickname 'Spanish Chocolate.'

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/40767/20060602/spanish_chocolate_works_out_for_boston_lakers_bulls_and_kings_next/
aynatruf

Postby Sky on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:37 am

They should call him Spanish Harlem. Rodriguez has the flashy handles, and the build of a 13-year old distance runner. No otra matadors por favor.

Carney? Not a fan. At all. Only player out the Nova/Memphis group I like is Foye. Clutch shooter. The rest lack game or hoop iq and can only streetball. Shawne Williams has fantastic clay to sculpt, but he needs a ton of coaching.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GCMD on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Sky wrote:They should call him Spanish Harlem. Rodriguez has the flashy handles, and the build of a 13-year old distance runner. No otra matadors por favor.

Carney? Not a fan. At all. Only player out the Nova/Memphis group I like is Foye. Clutch shooter. The rest lack game or hoop iq and can only streetball. Shawne Williams has fantastic clay to sculpt, but he needs a ton of coaching.

Amazing court vision and true Point Guard skills...

The ability to create plays for others, leaving Kobe to play more off the ball...

If you had said that he plays NO DEFENSE, I could understand...but dismissing him because of his style lacks substance...

I think I'm the only point guard fan on this board...that's why I couldn't get upset with PHO or Nash...

I was the ONLY person to say that PHO was going to be ok after they loss Amare...

I was the ONLY person to say that PHO made me scared BEFORE the playoffs...

Anyone can say that the triangle doesn't need a PG but this is basketball...it's a very important position and it's not a fluke that most of the best teams in this league have GREAT PGs...

But I stand alone...Magic's "flashy style" made me a fan of the Lakers ump-teen years ago...Stockton helped make me work on my game til the wee hours of the morning...

With the "astounding" basketball IQ of this team, it would seem a given that adding a PG that can actually CREATE PLAYS would be a good thing...

Another year...another failure to address the PG position...status quo.
GCMD

Postby Sky on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:05 pm

I did say no defense, I just said it indirectly. No matadors por favor? Build of a 13-year-old? What do you think I was talking about Game?
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LALShowtime on Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:21 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9qKGWhHADlE& ... 0rodriguez

Check that video out.
Skills no doubt, he has mad handles and can dish mad dimes.

But he would really be one of those :man3: picks.

With him it's a big risk, he could either turn out crazy good or crazy bad, his style of play is almost identical to Jason Williams and matches that of Ridnour,

He is thought to be one of the best European prospects of his age. He was named the MVP of the 2004 Under-18-years-old (Junior) European championship of national teams, held in Zaragoza (Spain), where he led the host Spanish team to the gold medal. He averaged in the 8 games of that tournament 19 points, 4.6 rebounds, 8.5 assists and 2.1 steals. He is currently playing for CB Estudiantes. He was also named "rookie of the year" in the Spanish League (ACB) in the season 2004-2005.

I would take the chance, his game is sick he could be a diamond in the dirt. Many euros lack flash and for him to display and1 like handles while winning MVP in a league that's strickly fundamentals speaks volumes.
LALShowtime

Postby halekulani on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:10 pm

Sky wrote:They should call him Spanish Harlem. Rodriguez has the flashy handles, and the build of a 13-year old distance runner. No otra matadors por favor.

carney is one of the best defenders in the draft. yes he shoots too many three's but his athleticism is something you don't want to pass on.
halekulani

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:11 pm

sergio reminds me a bit of steve nash. However like someone said, hes not what we need. If a team wants to run and gun like the suns, im sure a team will pick him up.
MarkMadsen

Postby GCMD on Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Sky wrote:I did say no defense, I just said it indirectly. No matadors por favor? Build of a 13-year-old? What do you think I was talking about Game?

My bad...

But I completely disagree about him...

Steve Nash is one of the WORST PG defenders in the league...that didn't stop him from winning TWO MVPs more than ALL DEFENSIVE NBA First team Kobe Bryant...

If you don't believe that PGs make a difference, then we really can't debate here...we have not had a leader at the 1 ever since Magic retired...

The Laker Dynasty had Kobe AND Shaq...the YOUNG Shaq!!!! And it had a bunch of veterans...

This team needs a leader...LO? Kwame? Smush? Not even close...

Kobe is more of a finisher than a leader...he can do but he can't teach or get others to his level...

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'm not...wanna bet another 1st round exit on it?
GCMD

Postby Sky on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:10 pm

I defintiely believe point guards make a huge difference. Which is why I believe that we must have one that can defend. Spanish Harlem cannot.

Nash have any rings? Why is that? Parker owned him in the WCF, and Terry and Harris owned him this year. To get through the west you must get by Parker, Nash, Terry/Harris. Put Sergio out there and what chance do we have? None.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby sister golden hair on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:18 am

Sky wrote:I defintiely believe point guards make a huge difference. Which is why I believe that we must have one that can defend. Spanish Harlem cannot.

Nash have any rings? Why is that? Parker owned him in the WCF, and Terry and Harris owned him this year. To get through the west you must get by Parker, Nash, Terry/Harris. Put Sergio out there and what chance do we have? None.

Disagree with you, Sky. This kid looks special. SPECIAL. Noine of the guys you mention play a lick of defense, either. Sign Banks with the MLE as a fireman.

But this kid gives one goosebumps.

SGH
sister golden hair

Postby jBL on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:23 am

GameCockMD wrote:
Sky wrote:I did say no defense, I just said it indirectly. No matadors por favor? Build of a 13-year-old? What do you think I was talking about Game?

My bad...

But I completely disagree about him...

Steve Nash is one of the WORST PG defenders in the league...that didn't stop him from winning TWO MVPs more than ALL DEFENSIVE NBA First team Kobe Bryant...

If you don't believe that PGs make a difference, then we really can't debate here...we have not had a leader at the 1 ever since Magic retired...

The Laker Dynasty had Kobe AND Shaq...the YOUNG Shaq!!!! And it had a bunch of veterans...

This team needs a leader...LO? Kwame? Smush? Not even close...

Kobe is more of a finisher than a leader...he can do but he can't teach or get others to his level...

Maybe I'm wrong...maybe I'm not...wanna bet another 1st round exit on it?

Suns and Lakers play different system, where in triangle seeks someone who could spot up shoot and defend well. Meanwhile, Suns..it's pretty much fast break offensive plays where offense can make up for defense. Who cares if they let the opponent score so much, when they can score back as much?
jBL

Postby dagreatkobe on Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:31 am

triangle gurads do not have the ball in their hands to set up plays as in a traditional system. why draft a player who needs the ball in their hands to be effective when its completely against our offensive philosophy. kobe is not the type of player that is going to be assisted on a a lot of baskets u need to get that out of ur heads right now.
dagreatkobe

Postby Sky on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:47 am

SGH - Jackson is going to allow a point guard to actually BE a point guard? No. I don't care how special Rodriguez is, if Jackson won't let him use his skills then it's Sergio's liabilities that get exposed. I also seriously doubt that LA would be willing to draft a point AND use the MLE on one. They're adding just one more point guard. Therefore that point guard must defend for this team to succeed.

Parker can't defend but he doesn't have to, he has speed to stay in front of his man, Duncan and Nazr/Rasho behind him as dual shotblockers, Bowen next to him shutting his man down. Terry and Harris have Diop and Damp, Josh Howard. Sergio in LA would have zero shotblockers and Kobe. Since the Lakers have no shotblocking and their best perimeter defender is a rover the 1 that plays for this team MUST defend. It's not an option.

You want to add a matador then you have to subtract a matador first. I do not trust Kupchak or Jackson any further than I can throw them on that point. They aren't going to dump Smush or Sasha. So drafting Sergio and adding Banks? Pipe. One point guard is added. Only. Therefore NO matadors. NO MATADORS.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Next

Return to NBA 2014 Draft