Shakur likely to enter NBA draft

Shakur likely to enter NBA draft

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:46 am

Arizona Daily Star: Arizona junior guard Mustafa Shakur is expected to place his name in the 2006 NBA draft pool without jeopardizing his college eligibility.

Coach Lute Olson and several UA assistants said Monday that Shakur would likely test the draft, which athletes can do once during their college careers if they do not hire an agent and pay most of their expenses.

"He's going to announce" it, Olson said. "But he's not going to get an agent. "

Shakur finished last season with averages of 8.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.5 rebounds with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.75-to-1. He had just five points on 2-for-5 shooting with two assists and five turnovers in UA's 71-59 loss to UCLA in the Pac-10 tournament semifinals but, over two NCAA tournament games, he went 13 of 24 from the field, scored 38 points and had 14 assists to just five turnovers.

"I think he needs to use those games as a springboard and play that way on a consistent basis all the time," said UA assistant coach Miles Simon, who coaches the guards. "Then he will be fine for a pro career. He's a big guard who can handle the ball and his work ethic is second to none."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am

Should definitely not come out this year; it seems like he's only rediscovered his game at the end of Arizona's season, because most of this season it's hard to even consider an NBA draft prospect. It's really sad to see him go through that downward spiral, though, since 2 years ago (at the end of his marvelous freshman season) I would considered him a near lotto pick, if not a lotto pick. His confidence level and assertiveness have been lacking lately for whatever reason.

It seems like most of his NBA appeal is based on his physical attributes, at 6'3" and 189 lbs. he's got an ideal build for a lead guard, combined with his decent passing ability (although he has regressed in this aspect). Still, with Hassan Adams gone next season, he should really look to take control and solidify his stock. Right now, if he enters, he's probably only around the 50s at best, but more likely to be undrafted.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby bhatta on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:01 am

Great assessment, jorker - he's definitely making a mistake. He has shown the court vision coupled with his NBA body that will excite the NBA scouts, but who is he kidding? He's inconsistent and hasn't shown that he can make the right decisions and isn't a good defender.

Unless he has some amazing workouts, this will be interesting to see if he is drafted at all.
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby In The Key on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:32 pm

Well maybe a team like the Lakers will pick him up for summer camps.

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Postby halekulani on Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:02 pm

just about the worst decision of all people who have declared themselves eligible.

the kid isn't even recognized. he was considered a top pg in the country in HS, but isn't even on the radar for college ball.
halekulani

Postby eNlight on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:42 pm

halekulani wrote:just about the worst decision of all people who have declared themselves eligible.

the kid isn't even recognized. he was considered a top pg in the country in HS, but isn't even on the radar for college ball.

who?

you're completely right
eNlight

Postby Still A Dynasty on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm

im a wildcat and this is THE PERFECT PG for our team.

He was the number one pg out of hs, is big, athletic and can really run a team. if we can steal him in the second i will poop myself
Still A Dynasty

Postby eNlight on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:44 pm

SHOWTIME REVIVAL wrote:im a wildcat and this is THE PERFECT PG for our team.

He was the number one pg out of hs, is big, athletic and can really run a team. if we can steal him in the second i will poop myself

would you compare him to gilbert arenas? they both don't get the hype they want
eNlight

Postby Still A Dynasty on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:34 pm

eNlight wrote:

no i wouldnt at all...gilbert was/is a scorer...Staf is as pure a pg as they come. Id compare his style of play to tony parker. he likes to get out and push it, can lock dowsn on D, can score in the paint, and has a decent shot. But hisw court vision is unbelieveable. I see him on a dilay basis, i know what im talking about. Out of Salim, Channing, and Hassan Ive always felt like as a pro he would be the best.
Still A Dynasty

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 pm

He hasn't signed agent, so he can go back to college if after workouts he'll feel that he won't be picked which is most likely scenario.
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby eNlight on Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 pm

i gotta watch some tape on this guy :jam2:
eNlight

Postby Inglewood's Finest on Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:16 pm

SHOWTIME REVIVAL wrote:
eNlight wrote:

no i wouldnt at all...gilbert was/is a scorer...Staf is as pure a pg as they come. Id compare his style of play to tony parker. he likes to get out and push it, can lock dowsn on D, can score in the paint, and has a decent shot. But hisw court vision is unbelieveable. I see him on a dilay basis, i know what im talking about. Out of Salim, Channing, and Hassan Ive always felt like as a pro he would be the best.

AGREED

and im a hardcore Arizona fan...Shakur shouldnt go even though he will be good...no one know about him

the next gaurd line

Arenas
Bibby
Terry
Salim
Hassan
ImageMagicBryant32-propz for sig!! laker1,makveli,HitEmUp,InThe Key,Shizz,xXAsGrEaTAs8 Xx,Ballin,GUnit,Flipogb,TheKobeEra 2K5,KobeistheGreatest1,Showtime.Revival.05Ruffryder,8,Balla4life,High IQ,Hype,Caron1,LakerChamp04,Lfan36,JbOi112,mkv14,apexed,ahaider,camilo
Inglewood's Finest

Return to NBA 2013 Draft