WE WOULD HAVE TO TRADE UP, FOR THIS YEARS TIM THOMAS
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Kobe Bryant on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:42 am

I doubt he would be there by the time the Lakers are on the clock
ImageImage
Kobe Bryant

Postby Sky on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:30 am

No halfcourt game, no hoop iq and a big ego 'tude. Dropping like a rock. Draft Express has him in the second round now.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby abeer3 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 am

Sky wrote:No halfcourt game, no hoop iq and a big ego 'tude. Dropping like a rock. Draft Express has him in the second round now.

before i read your analysis, he sounded a lot like shawn marion to me.

he still does.

no halfcourt game? check

no hoop iq? check

ego? eh, sorta check

tremendous athlete with a decent outside shot? check.

i'd probably take a flier on him at 26. worst case scenario, the lakers waste a late first rounder (not exactly new and different).
abeer3

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 am

Sky wrote:No halfcourt game, no hoop iq and a big ego 'tude. Dropping like a rock. Draft Express has him in the second round now.

Sky, Draft Express has him going up in the charts, not down. He was mid second round a couple weeks ago (late 40s-early 50s), now he's projected 37th.

You said he has an attitude, so do at least 100s of other 20 year old college standouts.

I think you’re mistaking his “low bball IQ” for inexperience. There is a cure for one and not the other. His condition is easily curable.

I know you're not that fond of him, but I think he'll be something special in the NBA. Not many players like him. He's nearly 6-9 and can shoot the ball with the best in the class. His advantage: he's athletic, Morrison and JJ are not. Shawne also has a big wingspan.

He's 20. He's going to be a project for anyone, but a project that if handled right, could be a true star.

Any NBA team will throw him in the weight room and throw away the key. He's not nearly strong enough for a player of his size. Then with more weight will come a better low post game, something else that he should have, but doesn't.

All of his weaknesses are curable with time and experience, something he doesn't have much of right now.

He's a sure fire top 18 pick and will probably be a lotto pick.

I'd bet the farm that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he's there in the second round.

Players like him don't come around every day and there's no way 15 GMs will pass on him.

I think his most impressive game was against Morrison and Zaga, he took it straight to him. He refused to back down and that showed a lot of competitiveness in him. I'd much rather have him than a guy who will roll over and quit.

Shooting wise, he best displayed his stuff against Duke. And I'm sure anyone can ask Guru about that. While Memphis didn't win, that game was Shawne's official coming out party.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:26 pm

Here's what Chris Monjoy of HoopsWorld had to say about Shawne's workout in LA
Hoops World: For example, at Shawne Williams recent workout in LA, attendees were amazed at his physical attributes, and his ability to automatically knock-down wide open jump shots. Williams has a good shot of moving up into the top 14 based on his work-out prowess. What these same GM's have already forgotten is his poor outting (2 for 10 from the field, including many questionable shots taken) against UCLA in his final game of the NCAA Tourney, exposing the problems he might have with pressure defense at the NBA level. While he might have a ton of upside, based on his physical gifts alone, it remains to be seen if he's able to polish his game enough to where he's a valuable contributor at the NBA level.

And a little tid-bit I picked up from the Commercial Appeal (Memphis paper) about his Laker workout...
Commercial Appeal: Shawne Williams spent Thursday at the Los Angeles Lakers' practice facility conducting his first private workout as a full-fledged professional. Everything was cool, until he looked up.
"I saw somebody in this room up top looking down, and then I knew it was Phil Jackson," Williams said by cell phone from L.A. "It was the weirdest thing ever in life. I just couldn't believe how this is really real."
JSM

Postby Nelo Ice on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:28 pm

so both roy and williams like the lakers eh? :man1: :mhihi: :man9:
Nelo Ice

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:40 am

draftexpress projects Shawne to get drafted in early 2nd round, so I think we could get him with 26th pick...

DO IT MITCH!
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby Still A Dynasty on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:09 am

If we do only draft at the 26th id love either: Rondo, Williams, or Diaz
Still A Dynasty

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:28 am

Shawne won't be there at 26. We'd have to trade for a top 14 pick to draft him.
JSM

shawne williams

Postby Lord Johnny on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:29 am

how tall is Rondo? i want the lakers to get him.
Lord Johnny
Clublakers Rep: Puerto Rico

Postby eNlight on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:32 am

why does everyone hate memphis players? these dudes were playing with like 10 freshman and 2 seniors. the whole squad was inexperienced, and NO one predicts memphis will go back to the sweet 16 next year. when like 8 freshman are returning...
eNlight

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Williams is really a potential player who needs lots of polish. Everything about him really screams "project", as he'll really need a couple of years before he makes an impact. He has a nice skill set to build around along with an NBA body, and that's certainly going to help his cause.

Williams measured around 6'9" with a gigantic 7'3" wingspan--giving him a lot of potential in the defensive end even though he's clearly not good at that area right now. He may be somewhat of a tweener, but I see him as a player who can rotate between both forward positions somewhat effectively in the future. He can put on some bulk in the future as well to help determine his position. Williams also possesses "smooth" athleticism, although he's no freak. He also runs the court well.

In terms of skill set, Williams is a nice passer for his position and has great mechanics and range on his jumpshot. His mechanics often don't translate to results, however, as he's gotten inconsistent over the course of the season. He shot 31% from college three and roughly 40% from the field, so questions about shot selection and shot effectiveness will linger. Nonetheless, he will improve on these percentages--he just needs to polish his raw abilities.

Williams seems hell-bent on entering the draft; he's got a lot of potential and some scouts have been amazed with his physical attributes coupled with his skill set, but honestly he's still a few years away. If it weren't for his potential and intrigue he'd be back at Memphis. I'm quite high on him as a prospect and think he will have a decent future in the long run, but just not right away. I seriously consider him a 1st round bubble type prospect in a draft that's deep around the #25-35 area but he has impressed in workouts, so it wouldn't be surprising to see him in the 1st round.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA 2014 Draft