Taquan Dean... why has no one mentioned this guy?

Taquan Dean... why has no one mentioned this guy?

Postby slimjim on Tue May 16, 2006 10:47 pm

nbadraft.net wrote:NBA Comparison: David Wesley

Strenghts: Dean is a lights out clutch shooter ... He will and has taken big shots in big games and hit them on a regular basis throughout his college career. He was a vital part of their Final Four run last year as the West regions MVP ... Everyone says today's players cant shoot but they can not say that about Dean ... He set a single season school record for 3 pointers made last year with 133 ... Defensively he has been a stopper since his freshman year and often draws the opponents top offensive guard ... His will to win and to become a great player has coach Pitino fascinated ... Pitino calls him one of the hardest workers he has ever had and that includes a pretty elite group of successful players ... Dean has improved every year he has been playing in college, noting that he wasn't ranked anywhere inside the top 75 high school players in the country coming out, and has passed just about everybody up ... His body, muscle wise and cut wise is something body builders aspire to ... Mentally he is as tough as they get ... Had to overcome the loss of his mother at an early age, fought through hernia his sophomore year and played through mononucleosis last year and had big games ... When faced with adversity he has risen to the top and not backed down from a challenge yet ...

Weaknesses: Questions about his ability to play the point are out there ... Though he is not a pure point guard his ball handling skills have improved enough to be considered an efficient 1 guard in the league ... He played the point and led his team past some pretty good point guards on the way to the Final Four (Jarrett Jack and Nate Robinson), however he isn't a natural point and is small at the off guard position ... Health issues have been in question too, as he has battled back from a hernia surgery 2 years ago and fought off cramping from time to time last year, due to his nonexistent body fat.

the boy is a great shooter, great defender, and is a nicely sized PG phil would like at 6-3 190 lbs.

the boy is severly under-rated IMO(haven't seen him on any mock drafts)... he would have ranked much higher if he did not have mononucleosis last season and hernia surgery 2 seasons ago...

what ya'll think? he is fully recovered!! and i think he screams triangle PG... i'd love for mitch to give this guy a shot... it'd be sad to see taquan never make it to the nba because of injuries...
slimjim

Postby Still A Dynasty on Tue May 16, 2006 11:55 pm

with the 51st he be a good pick IMO...
Still A Dynasty

Postby TaniBoyz on Wed May 17, 2006 4:19 am

Let's get him!!
TaniBoyz

Postby chug o nomics on Wed May 17, 2006 4:27 pm

:man4: Anyone else think that he looks like Amare in the second picture?
"The thing that made push pops good is that you had to work for them. IF YOU WERE WEAK YOU DIDN'T GET ANY."
chug o nomics

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed May 17, 2006 4:28 pm

That's where scouting reports go wrong...that scouting report was written early in the season before Taquan Dean went into a huge shooting slump. Taquan was probably only an early 2nd round pick at best before that and really a mid-2nd round pick, but overall, he regressed this season.

As a matter of fact, he was not really an intriguing prospect to begin with; little to no PG skills (which is by far his biggest knock--he still hasn't improved all four years and even after taking the reins for Louisville), very average athleticism, average speed, average defense, really a one-dimensional shooter. His only talent really resides in shooting, and as he couldn't shoot this season, he fell out of the draft bubble. There's many prospects that improved this season and have higher stock than Dean--and many are more steady and have better all-around games. I would certainly take guys like Chris Quinn, Sean Dockery, Yotam Halperin, Jeff Horner, Gerry McNamara and even Chris Hernandez over him. He just didn't make much of an impact this season at all, and that ultimately dropped his stock down like a rock.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby kobe4ever on Wed May 17, 2006 4:29 pm

:bang:
Lakers record (2005~2008) when im at the staple center :
when i drink sprite : 12-3
when i drink coke : 2-6
kobe4ever

Postby TaniBoyz on Thu May 18, 2006 8:04 am

chug o nomics wrote::man4: Anyone else think that he looks like Amare in the second picture?

I thought he looks like Ben Gordon
TaniBoyz

Postby MarkMadsen on Thu May 18, 2006 8:24 am

same here..i thought ben gordon.
MarkMadsen

Postby slimjim on Thu May 18, 2006 1:43 pm

he may have been in a slump but he was fighting through injury...

sure his biggest flaw is obviously his playmaking... but did kerr playmake? did paxson playmake? last time i checked.. nope...

we'll leave playmaking to kobe and lamar...

if i was mitch... i'd draft him with our 2nd rounder... and if he doesn't pan out... we just don't sign him... plain and simple...
slimjim

Return to NBA 2014 Draft