PG Targets for Round 2: By the Numbers

PG Targets for Round 2: By the Numbers

Postby trodgers on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:33 am

Every year, I look at a ton of numbers in trying to find draftees. I am well aware of the limitations of doing so. Still, I cannot help but do this. So I have taken the time to rank some PGs who should be (according to mocks) available in the second round, factoring in Lakers needs and triangle skill requirements. Personal favorites in bold.

1. Greivis Vasquez
2. Devan Downey
3. Tommy Mason-Griffin
4. Courtney Fortson / Scottie Reynolds
6. Matt Bouldin
7. Sherron Collins
8. Mikhail Torrance
9. A.J. Slaughter
10. Jeremy Wise
11. Armon Johnson
12. Dee Bost
13. Ben Uzoh
14. Ishmael Smith
15. Stefan Markovic
16. Nemania Gordic
17. Alexey Shved

Rumor has it the Lakers have worked out Bouldin, and I would not be disgusted with that pick. I kind of love the skill set of Admiral Grievis, as he'll obviously be known.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: PG Targets for Round 2: By the Numbers

Postby Magic32Kobe24 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 am

I like downey
Magic32Kobe24

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:59 pm

My thoughts on those guys...

1. Greivis Vasquez - After Bledsoe, he's the next best PG. Pretty sure he'll get a first round promise from somewhere.
2. Devan Downey - Too small, not enough upper body strength.
3. Tommy Mason-Griffin - Size makes me uneasy about him. Plus you have to question his decision making ability...anyone who hires a NFL agent who's never represented a NBA player before :man3:
4. Courtney Fortson / Scottie Reynolds - Both players have great motors. I'm not sure Fortson's reckless style will translate. If you have the build and size of Maggs or Wade, you can get away with that, but if you're under 6 foot...usually doesn't work as well in the pros. As far as Reynolds goes, he's a SG in a PG's body, but I love the kid's fire and passion, I think that alone will give him a shot at making an impact in the NBA.
6. Matt Bouldin - If Phil has a say so, he'll be a Laker. Good size. Game comes natural to him, meaning the triangle would probably come pretty easy to him. Plus with Ammo leaving, we need another Zaga kid who can carry on the unkempt/messy physical appearance.
7. Sherron Collins - Of all the smaller guards named, I think Collins has the best chance of being the next success story. I think the Will Bynum comparisons are pretty fair. I just really want to shy away from another 1 trick pony, PG who doesn't want to pass (or can't pass all that well)...I've had more than enough of that with Farmar.
8. Mikhail Torrance - Good build and knows how to use it. Capable of playing both guard spots. Wouldn't complain if Lakers picked him up.
9. A.J. Slaughter - Can't do much besides shooting, if his J isn't falling, he's useless. He'll get a camp invite somewhere.
10. Jeremy Wise - At 165 pounds...good luck. That's all I have to say. He'll get thrown around like a ragdoll.
11. Armon Johnson - Obviously spends a lot of time in the weight room, has a very good build for his size. Can get to the rim and finish. Think he's more of a 2, but is more than capable of converting to a point.
12. Dee Bost - Could pack on a little weight. Don't think he's quite NBA ready.
13. Ben Uzoh - His measurements boosted his stock. His impressive wingspan mixed with his athletic ability will get him a spot on some team. My favorite thing about this kid is that he plays within himself and doesn't get out of control too often.
14. Ishmael Smith - Too light, couldn't throw a pebble into the ocean in college (worse FT shooter than Farmar), and turns it over too often.
15. Stefan Markovic - My favorite of the Euro guards that our attainable for us, think he can make it in the NBA, and is probably the most NBA ready.
16. Nemania Gordic - Last I read on him was he still was forcing the issue. If he slows it down and passes more, could be a decent prospect next year.
17. Alexey Shved - I think he has the most potential out of the Euro guards, but I don't think he's NBA ready. If we could stash him for a couple years and is there with our second pick, I'd take him.

Out of the list, if I had to rank my picks for this team, I'd say: Bouldin, Johnson, Torrance, Uzoh, Markovic, and then Reynolds.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Noodlestyle on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Jeremy Lin?
Noodlestyle

Postby silver0187 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:02 pm

Noodlestyle wrote:Jeremy Lin?

reports say he's worse than a spinning chair on D
silver0187

Postby trodgers on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 am

I think Lin in being represented as a combo or SG, too.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Noodlestyle on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm

silver0187 wrote:

links?
Noodlestyle

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Any chance the Lakers could trade their two second rounders for a higher pick to get Vasquez?
Whatthef?

Postby Venomenon on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:40 am

Jon Scheyer perhaps
Venomenon

Postby silver0187 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Noodlestyle wrote:
silver0187 wrote:

links?

nba-2009-draft/ford-lessons-learned-vegas-t121961.html
silver0187

Postby Noodlestyle on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:17 pm

I've seen that report already, he never specifically says that Jeremy Lin is horrible on defense which is what you said. He also then mentioned this after:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?nam ... %3d5200931

I got some interesting feedback from teams about Harvard's Jeremy Lin. I wrote last week that I didn't think Lin was ready for the NBA and that I expected him to go undrafted after a workout I saw in Vegas. However, several teams have since told me they are considering Lin with a second-round pick.

Although they agreed with my assessment that he might struggle athletically, they also think his high basketball IQ and ability to score make him a legitimate prospect.

Chad Ford is also just one person, you made it seem that there were multiple reports that people didn't like him because of his defense. Worst than a spinning chair? comeon u make it sound like he's Luke Walton.

After a Dallas workout, Mike Sheed said that Jeremy Lin is pretty athletic (more than what people give him credit for).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66lWwqjggks
Noodlestyle

Postby laakers on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:24 pm

i think mason-griffin will be awful for the tri. he is a little guy who is just a chucker, like nate robison but not as athletic. i definitely like vasquez and reynolds.
laakers

Postby trodgers on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:06 pm

I've heard that Lin is quick, works hard. Sometimes you can read between the lines: not a good defender.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Return to NBA 2014 Draft