Is there a Kobe in this Draft ?

Is there a Kobe in this Draft ?

Postby SublimeAnarky on Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Might be posting in this in the wrong section here - so mods, please help out if need be..

I dont get to follow the NCAA too much - only read up whatever i can on the internet.. so i'm curious to know from you guys - who do you believe are the dark horses with bigger potential than stats through their college season ?

Why I make the Kobe reference is because coincidentally, we find ourselves at a crossroads where we could trade away a good/established/european HoF'er (vlade/pau) for a higher draft pick. This at a time, when we're also potentially looking to build around an emerging center (shaq/drew - humour me, this is not a comparison) and an aging star (again, granted eddie jones was no kobe at the time, just for the sake of a parallel)

Could we conceivably, find ourselves a diamond in the rough by swapping pau out and then shore up the bench with our mle/lo exception AND still be a contender next + the years after #24? And if we went this way, who would your target in this draft be ?
SublimeAnarky

Re: Is there a Kobe in this Draft ?

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Fri May 25, 2012 2:57 pm

I honestly doubt any player in this draft will be one of the top five players in the NBA history like Kobe is.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby brickshooter on Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

A couple of years back a professional tennis player named Boris Becker said that there's very little difference physically between the #1 and #100 ranked player. He said that the difference was overwhelmingly mental.

So looking at this draft, is there a player with the same drive and focus as Kobe? Even at different positions, is there a player with the same mental makeup? That was the one thing that West kept on talking about - Kobe's maturity. And no one really understood how important it meant until years later.
brickshooter

Postby Finwë on Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 pm

brickshooter wrote:A couple of years back a professional tennis player named Boris Becker said that there's very little difference physically between the #1 and #100 ranked player. He said that the difference was overwhelmingly mental.

So looking at this draft, is there a player with the same drive and focus as Kobe? Even at different positions, is there a player with the same mental makeup? That was the one thing that West kept on talking about - Kobe's maturity. And no one really understood how important it meant until years later.

Exactly.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby SublimeAnarky on Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Finwë wrote:
brickshooter wrote:A couple of years back a professional tennis player named Boris Becker said that there's very little difference physically between the #1 and #100 ranked player. He said that the difference was overwhelmingly mental.

Exactly.

Agree completely. My question came in the context of me not having a clue about the guys in this draft though... Read somewhere that this is likely to be one of the deepest drafts we've had in a while?
SublimeAnarky

Postby GoatMilk16 on Fri May 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Lakers? 1st round pick? HA
GoatMilk16

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sun May 27, 2012 1:55 am

I don't see why it's completely off the table.. Wasn't there some reference to the draft in mitch's exit interview as well?
SublimeAnarky

Postby THE_DAGGER on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:00 am

I'm in the process of convincing myself that it's Austin Rivers.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 am

So is Doc Junior worth trading up for? looks like a mid-first pick with a sense of entitlement at the moment?
SublimeAnarky

Postby THE_DAGGER on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:19 am

SublimeAnarky wrote:So is Doc Junior worth trading up for? looks like a mid-first pick with a sense of entitlement at the moment?

Sounds like someone we know when they were being drafted. I really feel like this kid is going to be special and I don't want us to miss out on this opportunity. All these so called experts are enamored with these great athletes in the draft, when the best basketball player in the draft is right in front of their faces.
THE_DAGGER

Location: Pittsburg, CA (yes, without the "h" and yes, in CA)

Postby SublimeAnarky on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:32 am

Draft express says this kid can become a legit scoring threat in the nba.. From what I read about him he's definitely not shy of taking his shots, though he's not an otherworldly athelete. Should I be thinking best case as Kevin martin?

What about this Meyers Leonard kid? Apparently he's only had an average college season - but has a non-stop motor?
SublimeAnarky

Postby nduri on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I think that player might be Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, IMO, in 3 years he will be the talk of this draft.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby SublimeAnarky on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:46 pm

But mkg isn't a sleeper. I think he's pegged as top 5? Ppl thought we were really stretching when we went after kobe.. And for the first year at least, kobe wasn't the best player from his class..

Turns out the Logo nailed it when everyone else before #13 could also have had a shot..

Mkg isn't that underrated is he?
SublimeAnarky

Postby nduri on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 am

SublimeAnarky wrote:But mkg isn't a sleeper. I think he's pegged as top 5? Ppl thought we were really stretching when we went after kobe.. And for the first year at least, kobe wasn't the best player from his class..

Turns out the Logo nailed it when everyone else before #13 could also have had a shot..

I remember on the old AOL boards, we had this discussion..."Kobe will be the key acquisition of this summer." I caught it quite a bit of flack as this was the summer that, as you all know, Shaq first rocked the Forum Blue and Gold. There were people who saw it but were frightened away because there had yet to be a back court player to jump successively from High School to the NBA and many experts thought it would be impossible. That, coupled with the fact that Kobe also made it known that he only wanted to play for the Lakers, so that put a number of GM's off, Charlotte knew they could pull off a trade, they coveted Divac so a trade was made.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby nduri on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:09 am

SublimeAnarky wrote:But mkg isn't a sleeper. I think he's pegged as top 5? Ppl thought we were really stretching when we went after kobe.. And for the first year at least, kobe wasn't the best player from his class..

He's not a sleeper, but there will be at least 3 other teams kicking themselves for passing him up.
Back at'cha 24-7
nduri

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:12 pm

In 2013...

Shabazz is the next Kobe
Nerlens Noel the next Mutombo

:man11:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby SublimeAnarky on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 pm

.. So there is buzz about us moving up in the draft.. And can see that some of us are high on the Perry Jones III? Sleeper potential?
SublimeAnarky

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 am

^ Not really a sleeper actually and I doubt LA gets that high in the draft. He's slotted as somewhere above 10 and the Lakers have been reportedly talking to Boston and Houston who have picks in the twenties and teens respectively.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ Not really a sleeper actually and I doubt LA gets that high in the draft. He's slotted as somewhere above 10 and the Lakers have been reportedly talking to Boston and Houston who have picks in the twenties and teens respectively.

A couple of mock drafts I looked at have him in the early 20s, interestingly. I think teams tend to shy away from "red flag" players, even if they seem pretty talented. So this could be our lucky break if he falls to Houston or Boston.

Then again, most mock drafts are based on a public "consensus," if you will, and sometimes it can be far from reality.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Checking again, he's dropped to the teens in a lot of drafts. Hopefully he stays there.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby eltoro on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:52 am

Tennis is totally different than basketball. And that quote came from a tennis player, not a bballer.
eltoro

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Granted tennis is more mental than basketball. But Kobe and MJ are in a league of their own when it comes to competitiveness and mental toughness.

LeBron may be more talented athletically than Kobe, and near MJ in athletic ability, but he's a mental midget compared to them. He got better this year, but I'd be willing to bet that he fails in a tight 7-game series against a physical team. And Wade cries when he's injured. Durant faded against LeBron's defense, and against refs that didn't favor him.

So there's something to the idea that the very best are talented and mentally tough. It separates the stars from the super-stars.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Return to NBA 2014 Draft