Trey Johnson will test draft waters

Trey Johnson will test draft waters

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:41 pm

The Clarion Ledger: Jackson State guard Trey Johnson, who ranks among the nation's top shooters and scorers this season, is now locked in on his next target: the NBA.

Johnson said Friday he will skip his senior season and declare for June's NBA draft.

"After the season I just had, the timing seems right for me in terms of making this decision," Johnson said during his press conference Friday on the JSU campus. "I feel that the (statistics) I put up really opened up some eyes out there."

Johnson, a 6-foot-5 junior wing player, was the nation's eighth-leading Division I scorer, averaging 23.5 points a game for the Tigers this season.

The Jackson native and former Murrah High star also ranked fifth nationally in 3-point shooting, connecting from behind the arc at a 43-percent clip over 32 games.

Johnson's father, Clinton Johnson, said Friday that the family will not hire an agent. Under NCAA and NBA rules, Johnson would retain his college eligibility and could pull out of the draft and return to JSU for his senior season as long as he does not retain an agent.

"We're all hoping and praying that this works out for Trey, and I know how hard he's worked for an opportunity like this," Clinton Johnson said. "But he's going to also leave his options open. This is about him testing the waters."

SU coach Tevester Anderson said Johnson might be considered a long shot to be selected in the two-round NBA draft. But Anderson, who has coached players who have gone on to stick in the NBA such as Raja Bell and Shandon Anderson, said Johnson has the skills and work ethic to attract attention from NBA teams.

"I've already talked with several scouts about him throughout our season," Anderson said. "He has a lot of upside, the good footwork and strong hands it takes to give yourself a chance at that level."

He said he spoke with several Mississippi natives on current NBA rosters, including Milwaukee Bucks guard Mo Williams, also a former Murrah standout.

"They let me know that it wasn't a bad decision," Johnson said. "I had a pretty good year. You just never know if you'll be in this position if you come back next year."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:01 pm

Comes from a small school. Great shooter with some athleticism, but too many of his kind who didn't make it to the NBA--so won't be drafted. Should return to school.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Return to NBA 2013 Draft