UCLA Guards Will Audition in L.A.

UCLA Guards Will Audition in L.A.

Postby snakepit on Wed May 17, 2006 1:39 am

From the LATIMES
Code: Select all
Steve Springer
May 17, 2006

The Lakers and Clippers will stage workouts for Jordan Farmar and Arron Afflalo, according to the families of the UCLA sophomore guards.

They have made themselves available for the NBA draft June 28 but neither has hired an agent so they can retain their eligibility by withdrawing from draft consideration by June 18.

They are projected to be low first-round or high second-round picks. Farmar, a point guard, is rated slightly higher than Afflalo, a shooting guard.

Each player has said he wouldn't consider leaving school unless he was confident he would be a first-round pick.

"Either way, it's win-win for Jordan," said his mother, Mindy Kolani.

"If he comes back to UCLA, he will bring with him the knowledge he learned in this process. If he moves on, he will be doing something that he is very excited about."

Farmar and Afflalo have been working out with the Bruins since the team's season ended in the NCAA championship game, which UCLA lost to Florida. A player is not permitted to try out for an NBA team unless he is a part-time student.

Farmar and Afflalo plan to qualify for that status by dropping one class each by week's end.

Teams routinely work out eligible players in their areas and the Lakers have already worked out two UCLA seniors, swingman Cedric Bozeman and center Ryan Hollins.
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

http://www.lakersland.it
snakepit

Postby rydjorker121 on Wed May 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Nice to hear. I like Afflalo's game especially, but I think he'll only amount to a solid role player in the NBA. Despite all his polish, he's not the athletic freak that many NBA players of his position are. Nonetheless, glad to see the Lakers are giving him a chance to see what he can do, although I think he shouldn't stay in this draft and really take the reins for UCLA next season especially if Farmar leaves (which seems likely as the days go by). Afflalo is anywhere in the 2nd round right now, probably a mid-2nd rounder.

Farmar's stock is hovering in the 20-29 area currently, and if he does stay in the draft, the Lakers might be intrigued in taking him. After all, he is a pure playmaker with great handles, flashiness, court vision, etc., although his weaknesses reside in his athleticism and defense. Nonetheless, though, he could be an intriguing prospect, the antithesis of Smush Parker, and a PG we can potentially build upon if he shows rapid progression in his game.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby LukeWalton on Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 pm

I read this in the L.A Time this mornign too..

Farmar is very interesting..He's got alot of potential. If he's available i'd love to see him the purple and gold.

Affalo im not sure..I don't really know his game too well. Is he basically another Quintin Ross? If he can play Q. Ross defense i'd love to have him.
LukeWalton

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Wed May 17, 2006 6:00 pm

rydjorker121, I saw Farmar play a lot this year and was fairly impressed with his defense. Man defense, not so sure about but UCLA made their run in the post season because of great team defense, and Farmar was a big part of that. I think he would do pretty well in our defensive scheme, and on the other end of the floor he is a very crafty and smart player. I could definitely see the Lakers being interested, but he needs to work on turnovers and finishing IMO. Very interesting tri-PG though, definitely an intriguing prospect.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby Nelo Ice on Wed May 17, 2006 7:56 pm

farmer would be a great pick for the lakers and if hes available that means they wouldn't need to trade up for brewer or marcus williams :jam2:
Nelo Ice

Postby sister golden hair on Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 pm

I have not been impressed by Farmar. To me, he has not displayed true PG instintcs. He turns the ball over way too much, and his decision-making isn't that great. I don't see how he will succeed at the next level because he doesn't excel at any one thing: not a great floor general, shooter, passer or scorer -- and he will be toast on the defensive end. IMO, he's a PG by default -- were else could he play at 6'2" given his limited athletic ability? He's beena decent (not great) college baller. Frankly, I'm baffled that he decided to come out (even if only testing the waters). Maybe he thinks he has shown his best hand in college and it's time to cash in what chip he does possess.

I was pulling for the Bruins, and they did well to get as far as they did. But in several games, they advanced almost in spite of farmar's contributions. SO I don't get why he's gotten a bump from the tournament.

SGH
sister golden hair

Postby civilrage on Wed May 17, 2006 10:11 pm

i have seen farmar play since he was a kid, i played with him when i was 12, actually i played aginast him and he killed me. my team lost by like 17 or so, regardless. The kid has game, ive followed him throughout high school and ive been to dozens of games with him playing at UCLA, i honestly think the kid is going to be very good in the NBA one day, i really want us to pick him up in this draft. I think he can take over the starting pg position within the year..
Tuning/Breaking a Lancer for 5 + years
civilrage

Postby UCLAeightCLAP on Thu May 18, 2006 10:47 pm

i know i'm a little biased, but i would love the lakers to take farmar. he's been a winner his entire life. won a state championship at Taft and made the finals this year with UCLA.

while i believe he could use another year in college, it looks like he's outta here. he can definitely play some d--or else howland would not have given him the minutes with collison backing him up.

as for afflalo.......i would be shocked if he stays in the draft. he's not that athletic for a 2 guard, and he had an AWFUL showing in the tournament.

all i can say is that i want to see farmar in a laker or bruin jersey next year.
I NEED EVERY MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD ON YOUR FEET FOR AN EIGHT CLAP....
11 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPS: 1964 1965 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1975 1995
UCLAeightCLAP

Postby SWOL on Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 am

HAVE THE BRUINS LANDED ANY LAST MIN RECRUITS TO FALL BACK BACK IN CASE THEY BOTH LEAVE, I THINK ULTIMATLY AFFLALO STAYS AND FARMER IS NBA BOUND, IN WHICH CASE THEY'D BE OK WITH COLLISON, BUT WITH THE FINALS APPERANCE AND THE IMMEDIATE NEED ID THINK THEY COULD LAND A GUY OR 2
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby UCLAeightCLAP on Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm

^the bruins added russell westbrook who can play either the 2 or 3. i think he's listed as a 4-star player on scout.com....plus, we still have shipp who will be back at 100% next year. so losing both wouldn't be the demise of the program. although if both were to return, i would think we would be a heavy favorite to win it all. just think of that line-up.....

PG - Farmar/Collison
SG - Afflalo/Westbrook/Roll
SF - Shipp/Westbrook
PF - Mbah a Moute/Keefe
C - Mata/Aboya

too bad it looks certain that farmar's gone. but i still like the team with collison running the show.
UCLAeightCLAP

Postby c.Lin on Fri May 19, 2006 1:28 pm

I don't think Farmar is ready for the league. His skills need to be more polished, but I can't blame him for declaring this year after the tourney he had. His stock right now is probably the highest it will get.

I can't see him lasting very long though. He'll get drafted, ride the bench for a while, get shipped somewhere else (NBDL, etc)... then just disappear.
c.Lin

Postby UCLAeightCLAP on Sat May 20, 2006 1:42 pm

i gotta disagree with your assesment on farmar. i agree he's still a year away, but he will be a solid pro. he's got very good ball handling skills, and i think he's one of the best pure point guards in terms of running the offense and being a leader.

i don't think he'll ever be an all-star caliber player year-in and year out, but i think he could find a starting job out there somewhere. i mean we had smush parker starting for us this year. and farmar is a much better pure point guard in my opinion.
UCLAeightCLAP

Postby green_minded on Mon May 22, 2006 12:37 am

they would be great additions. nothing beats playing for your hometown. :)
SOLID LAKERS FAN SINCE BIRTH...MABUHAY !!!
green_minded

Postby JSM on Mon May 22, 2006 1:34 am

green_minded wrote:they would be great additions. nothing beats playing for your hometown. :)
Let's hope Gump feels the same way about Minny.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft