UConn's Walker Confirms Draft Entry

UConn's Walker Confirms Draft Entry

Postby JSM on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Neill Ostrout of the Connecticut Post wrote:We’re here at Gampel Pavilion where UConn guard Kemba Walker made it official at an afternoon press conference: He’s leaving school and entering his name into the NBA Draft.

“There’s a lot of speculation about me going to the NBA,” Walker said as he began his press conference. “I want to confirm everything. I’ll be giving up my senior season and going on to the NBA.”

Walker thanked his teammates, his family and his coach.

“I want to thank coach (Jim) Calhoun for turning me into a man,” Walker said.

The junior All-American, who just led the Huskies to the national championship, obviously has the blessing of his coach.

“He’s ready to move on as a man. He’s ready to move on as a basketball player,” Calhoun said.

His timing is perfect, Calhoun joked.

“We just don’t have a scholarship for him. So it’s time for him to move on,” Calhoun said.

Calhoun said later that he’d probably find one if he needed to. Of course, that’s not necessary. Walker says he hasn’t hired an agent yet but will very soon. He’s not coming back.

“He’s just completed the finest basketball season in the history of this university. One-hundred and eleven years, I believe it is,” Calhoun said. “He’s done everything humanly possible, in my opinion, that he could possibly do including a national championship.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to NBA 2014 Draft