what do you guys think about drafting aaron afflalo?

what do you guys think about drafting aaron afflalo?

Postby Choson1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:27 pm

i haven't really watched all the UCLA games this past season, but scouting reports say he's a terrific lockdown defender. if he does declare for the draft, there's a good chance he'd still be available when it's our turn to pick. what do you guys think?
Choson1

Postby c.Lin on Mon May 22, 2006 4:28 pm

He's not NBA ready.
c.Lin

Postby topballa90 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Poor-man Raja Bell. :man10: ..But really.
bndxclin wrote:He's not NBA ready.
topballa90

Afflalo...and Farmar

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 22, 2006 4:50 pm

Both have not declared for the draft but are exploring their status. Neither has signed with an agent so they have an option to go back to UCLA should their stock for the draft don't turn out as they hoped. There are reports that both are scheduled for workouts with the Lakers and Clippers. Afflalo has a good touch on his J. It remains to be seen if he has NBA 3 range. Defensively, he is very competitive. He is 6-4 which is a good size at the 2. Tremedous hustle and intensity on both ends of the floor. He reminds me of George Lynch but with a better J and higher motor. Farmar is a 6-2 smooth point guard who can run an offense with a deep range on his J. Ballhandling skills are more than adequate to run an offense or create his own shot. He takes plays off on D from time to time. He is not fast but deceptively quick. I don't think both are ready for the League at this point IMO.
Last edited by gcclaker on Mon May 22, 2006 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Choson1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:51 pm

neither was bynum when we drafted him. but with 2 years of college (including a trip far into the tourney), afflalo has more to offer immediately than bynum. and considering how thin this upcoming draft class is, you're not going to have too many NBA ready picks to choose from.
Choson1

Re: Afflalo...and Farmar

Postby quitkthanx on Mon May 22, 2006 5:09 pm

gcclaker wrote:Farmar is a 6-2 smooth point guard who can run an offense with a deep range on his J.

haha no. Farmar doesn't have a jump shot, let alone deep range.
quitkthanx

Postby KB_For_Prez on Mon May 22, 2006 5:14 pm

NO hes not ready, if we can get him in the 2nd round then yes.

you may say bynum wasnt ready but i think its a different story when their 7feet 275 lbs and can become a beast.
KB_For_Prez

Re: Afflalo...and Farmar

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

quitkthanx wrote:
gcclaker wrote:Farmar is a 6-2 smooth point guard who can run an offense with a deep range on his J.

haha no. Farmar doesn't have a jump shot, let alone deep range.

Hmmm...I wonder who was it at guard that I saw shooting it from the sides, beyond the top of the key [past the NCAA 3 range] then during the Alabama/Gonzaga/Memphis/LSU games? Man, I have to check my tapes... :man4:
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby live and die in LA on Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 pm

keep afflalo and farmar far far far away from this team :panic2:
live and die in LA

Postby Sky on Mon May 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Word is Afflalo is returning to Westwood. I'd love to have him though, terrific defender.
Sky
Clublakers Analyst

Postby BDG on Mon May 22, 2006 6:17 pm

I think he'll go back to school. He's on our workout list though.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby purple_and_gold_fever on Mon May 22, 2006 6:19 pm

no.. he's not ready.. he cant handle any pressure..
purple_and_gold_fever

Postby leftymo on Mon May 22, 2006 9:03 pm

I have a simple rule about the draft.

If Mitch likes him, I probably won't.
leftymo

Location: Scottsdale, AZ. 5 years later, married, 2 kids, 2 Laker Titles

Postby LakeshowBruin on Mon May 22, 2006 10:34 pm

live and die in LA wrote:keep afflalo and farmar far far far away from this team :panic2:

Said the $UC shill...

Anyway, he plays lock-down perimeter defense, which is more than I can say for non-Kobe guards currently on the team, and has a streaky jumpshot, which pretty much describes every guard we have not named Kobe. If nothing else, he's an upgrade over Sasha, and is a strength where Smush is a weakness and vise versa. Still hope he comes back to UCLA for one more year under Howland though, I think that would be the best option for him.
LakeshowBruin

Postby the sauce on Mon May 22, 2006 10:54 pm

I don't know about Afflalo, he might need a couple years to improve his passing and general basketball IQ (his on ball D and shooting ability are already superb).

But I would love to see Farmar on this squad. He has the PG savvy this team lacks, and, when pressed, he can create his own shot.

Farmar is an extremely smart player, a good ball-handler, and I think could grow into a pretty good NBA point guard a-la Derek Fisher.
the sauce

Postby revgen on Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm

KB_For_Prez wrote:
Choson1 wrote:
neither was bynum when we drafted him.
NO hes not ready, if we can get him in the 2nd round then yes.

you may say bynum wasnt ready but i think its a different story when their 7feet 275 lbs and can become a beast.

Agreed. Bynum is a rare prospect that is worth taking a gamble on.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby rydjorker121 on Mon May 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Afflalo has some definite NBA strengths, probably most notable is his help and individual defense and the never-lose sort of mentality he puts into this aspect of the game. His shooting is a plus but there are many shooters in the NBA level, and that is just an addition to his game and not a real plus as he is by no means a super shooter, rather more of a scorer. His passing ability is rather ordinary although with Farmar running the show and with him investing energy on scoring and defending, it's hard to gauge this aspect of his game.

There's really no knock to his game, no truly severe weaknesses, besides his physical attributes, which immediately puts him below many of the NBA prototypes waiting to be drafted; Afflalo is a 6'5" wing player, which is very mediocre size. He also doesn't have the athleticism to make up for it, which is rather ordinary at best. His footspeed is all right but he is more of a half-court set player rather than a transition player. Athleticism is a huge factor between who gets drafted higher and who gets drafted lower in terms of the NBA, and in order to make up for average athleticism, a good skill set is needed to be drafted high. Afflalo has a decent but not good skill set, more reason why he should stay another year at UCLA. JJ Redick has shooting to make up for his lack of athleticism; to make up for his height, Maurice Ager has uber-athleticism. Afflalo doesn't have either as of yet, but he can certainly develop it. There's no rush--he's a sophomore.

However, Afflalo has gained exposure by burning his draft card this year, learning that he's most likely an early to mid 2nd rounder at this stage. He could improve on that once he improves his skill set, notably his passing and all-around ability.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby eNlight on Mon May 22, 2006 11:54 pm

I was saying all year long that ager had the tools to get drafted, he was just surrounded by a bunch of scrubs. ager's game is crazy, drive in, dish, jack up 3's. affalao always jacks up a bad shot, there is no bad shot. same goes for ager. redick makes all his shots, and honestly, he can create his own shots if you've seen footage on this guy.
eNlight

Postby Alleyhoops on Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm

Sky wrote:Word is Afflalo is returning to Westwood. I'd love to have him though, terrific defender.

definitely. afflalo's defense will translate very well in the nba. he shouldn't miss much of a beat. his jumper is sweet but needs just a bit more consistency. he's an extremely nice player - in the mold of a coach k player that does a number of things very well on the floor. physically very strong. an easy early to mid 2nd round selection if he decides to come out. he'd fit quite well in the motor city.
Alleyhoops

Postby UCLAeightCLAP on Wed May 24, 2006 1:40 pm

afflalo's going back to UCLA for at least one more year....he was only gonna leave if he was guaranteed first round, which he isn't going to get.
I NEED EVERY MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD ON YOUR FEET FOR AN EIGHT CLAP....
11 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPS: 1964 1965 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1975 1995
UCLAeightCLAP

Postby SWOL on Wed May 24, 2006 4:16 pm

DONT BE A FOOL STAY IN SCHOOL
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby bb7793 on Wed May 24, 2006 5:35 pm

topballa90 wrote:Poor-man Raja Bell. :man10: ..But really.

I dont even think he is that good. I would compare him more to Greg Buckner at best I think
bb7793

Return to NBA 2014 Draft