2006 Kobe or 2013 LeBron: Who would you pick?

Who would you draft?

2006 Kobe
81%
2012 LeBron
18%

Total votes : 53

Re: 2006 Kobe or 2013 LeBron: Who would you pick?

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

06 Kobe. He could make any shot within 30 ft of the basket, consistently... and still take it to the rack better than Wade ever did, with less contact and more efficiency. Pretty sure it's that same Kobe who dunked on Dwight, Yao & Duncan in those years.

13 LeBron could drive on anyone... And throw a decent pass. LeBron can guard positions 1-3 better than Kobe could guard just the 2, but almost out of necessity - by having LeBron on your team you rule out having a traditional big or point guard (PG = size disadvantage, C = clogs the lane) in order to maximize LeBron. Miami essentially won the title playing 3 sfs and 2 sgs. The approach is flawed; which is why a good, but subpar team like Indy could take them 7 games - LeBron is just good enough to overcome it.

Kobe was/is more skilled, and easier to build a traditional lineup around.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:13 pm

2001 Kobe. The swagger in that kid was untouchable.

Say what you want about Lebron, but he didn't win anything either without help. His finals trip was supplemented with a pretty good roster (not elite) and a VERY weak East. He'd suffer the same fate with Smush, Brian Cook, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown any day.

Lebron imo, is an OVERRATED defender. If it wasn't for the Heat's defensive rotations, Tony Parker would've blown by him all day. As for defending a Center, he was taken to school by Duncan pretty much anytime he swtiched on him. Lebron is a fantastic HELP defender, I'll give him that. Blocking shots, blindside steals, his super athleticism dictates that.

But he's not the same MAN defender as Kobe was, not close. Kobe was a master at reading where a player would go. Anticipating the dribble, and his steals would come from his on ball defense. Not help.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:OP, did you change the title? I could've sworn the question was asking about 2012 LeBron but now I see 2013 LeBron?

Edit: The poll didn't match the thread title, oops

i was shooting for both in their 10th seasons
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:01 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:2001 Kobe. The swagger in that kid was untouchable.

Kobe himself has said his game was complete in 2001... Phil said in his book that 2001 was really the year that the Kobe/Shaq feud t00k off 'cause that was the year Kobe believed he had become the best player in the league, and he felt he was being held back (how frustrating must it have been?)... and he sure did show it in SAC during the playoffs and later when he picked up Shaq's slack in '03

i always thought it was unfair to say Kobe was selfish earlier in his career cause of his taking a step back into 1B, but after reading the book I learned he actually resisted that role to the very end. Crazy to think what could have been statistically if he had a team all to himself like the rest of the superstar guards of that period had... sucks that at the end of the day the career accolades won't tell the full story, like how Durant already won more scoring titles just in his 1st 6 yrs... im afraid it'll be hard to tell how great of a scorer he actually was for kids that will read numbers rather than watch videos
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 am

After reading what I posted, I think I may have been a bit harsh on Kobe. These guys are obviously two of the greatest players ever and we are also probably comparing them at their peak. I don't think LeBron will play any better than he did in the 2012 playoffs. He was simply a monster and took over games when it was needed and was almost perfect against the Thunder. Kobe, from an overall skills perspective, was right there with MJ as the greatest ever. No two players had the overall, offensive game that these two possessed. But I didn't like the way Kobe played in 2006 when I judge him on how the game of basketball should be played. He played too much "me" ball and not enough team ball. And yes, there is a difference. It's one thing to score when nothing is there but quite another to take on double teams time and time again and not making an attempt to get an easier basket for the team. But I've gone down this path a million times regarding Kobe and his selfish play at times so i'll stop there.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am

lakerfan2 wrote:2001 Kobe. The swagger in that kid was untouchable.

Say what you want about Lebron, but he didn't win anything either without help. His finals trip was supplemented with a pretty good roster (not elite) and a VERY weak East. He'd suffer the same fate with Smush, Brian Cook, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown any day.

Lebron imo, is an OVERRATED defender. If it wasn't for the Heat's defensive rotations, Tony Parker would've blown by him all day. As for defending a Center, he was taken to school by Duncan pretty much anytime he swtiched on him. Lebron is a fantastic HELP defender, I'll give him that. Blocking shots, blindside steals, his super athleticism dictates that.

But he's not the same MAN defender as Kobe was, not close. Kobe was a master at reading where a player would go. Anticipating the dribble, and his steals would come from his on ball defense. Not help.

No one guards Parker one on one. Let's get real here. The superstar scorers in the league are too good that single coverage is a moot point most of the time, even against great defenders.

And he seldom guarded Duncan in the post. But he has the strength to bang with centers. He might not have the height but he sure has everything else. And he can make up for his lack of height with his athleticism, which, as we all saw in the playoffs, translated into jaw dropping blocks both as a straight up defender, help defender and trail defender.

LeBron can guard 1-5. 1 and 5 he'll have most trouble with given the obvious extremes in what threat each position poses but he can do it. And he's just a lock down guy against 2-4. That's a very, very rare talent. Only a few people in the history of the game have been able to do that. Right now, the only guy I can think of is Rodman. Who else?
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 am

purp n gold wrote:06 Kobe. He could make any shot within 30 ft of the basket, consistently... and still take it to the rack better than Wade ever did, with less contact and more efficiency. Pretty sure it's that same Kobe who dunked on Dwight, Yao & Duncan in those years.

13 LeBron could drive on anyone... And throw a decent pass. LeBron can guard positions 1-3 better than Kobe could guard just the 2, but almost out of necessity - by having LeBron on your team you rule out having a traditional big or point guard (PG = size disadvantage, C = clogs the lane) in order to maximize LeBron. Miami essentially won the title playing 3 sfs and 2 sgs. The approach is flawed; which is why a good, but subpar team like Indy could take them 7 games - LeBron is just good enough to overcome it.

Sorry but Wade, in his prime, was better at getting to the rim than Kobe. Wade didn't have Kobe's overall game but he was better at the pure art of getting to the rim. The guy was a beast in his prime.

And I would completely disagree that it's easier to build a traditional line up around Kobe. LeBron is the most team friendly superstar ever along with Magic. You can throw a bunch of scrubs together and he would win. Maybe not a ring but get you 50 wins. And it's obvious why. He plays team ball. He looks to maximize the efficiency of the team. He doesn't look to just get 40 points at the expense of the offense. He tries to get his points within the flow of the offense. The guy is an amazing passer. His vision is one of the best ever. He sets up his teammates with easy looks time and time again. It's just what he does. LeBron impacts the game in more aspects than Kobe. Offensively, Kobe trumps LeBron. But if you look at their overall game and the impact they can have, it's LeBron.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby THEONE24 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Lakers board? Check.
80% pro-Kobe votes. Check.

I dare you guys to post this thread and poll on RealGM on the Player comparisons forum.
Last edited by THEONE24 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEONE24

Postby THEONE24 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:54 pm

2013 LeBron won back-to-back regular season MVP. Back-to-back MVP finals MVP. The only thing that 2006 Kobe was better at was scoring more PPG. Even though, LeBron is overall the more efficient scorer, I'll give Kobe the edge in terms of being a natural scorer. His offensive skills looks more fluid. LeBron is overall a more complete all-around player. Kobe can play as a complete all-around player when he wants to, but LeBron does it far more consistently and it's a natural part of his game.
THEONE24

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Kobe. It's not at all close for me. Kobe has always had to make up for less-than-great physical ability with tenacity, will-to-win and deep set of skills that even today no one in the league really matches(in theory if not in practice). Lebron has always been and still is a (way) above-average physically gifted player who is most comfortable when his team is in a comfortable position to win and rarely(As in 'the exception') steps up until it is absolutely vital and even then it's not a guarantee. Lebron is propped up by having a great team today which enables him to only do things he feels comfortable with, take the least risky plays...etc. You can argue that's 'smart', and it's not as if he is a dumb player, but you put Lebron with guys like Smush and Luke and it's a different story completely.

Kobe has always been the more skilled basketball player. He actually has _moves_, he relies on footwork, fakes, counters. He'll take anyone to school. Lebron simply doesn't rely on any of that, if he doesn't get the step he's not getting the basket and he is far too content to take jumpers when the defense tightens up. His jumper has gotten very good of course and he is always highly _effective_ but he's effective in the sense that he is the absolute perfect player for how the game is played today. You can drop Kobe into any point in history and he's still top 5, because his game is built on the foundations of what makes basketball a great sport. It's timeless. Lebron, he'd still be top 10 I think anywhere in history but otherwise, you put him in an era where it's more physical or he's not getting his normal calls or refs are actually calling fouls against him, and his effectiveness diminishes greatly.
Forward Three

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 pm

THEONE24 wrote:Lakers board? Check.
80% pro-Kobe votes. Check.

I dare you guys to post this thread and poll on RealGM on the Player comparisons forum.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:49 pm

Respect to those who picked LBJ, but Kobe was a living video game character back then, it wasn't even fair. Kobe would have embarrassed people in these playoffs that just ended.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 pm

THEONE24 wrote:2013 LeBron won back-to-back regular season MVP. Back-to-back MVP finals MVP. The only thing that 2006 Kobe was better at was scoring more PPG. Even though, LeBron is overall the more efficient scorer, I'll give Kobe the edge in terms of being a natural scorer. His offensive skills looks more fluid. LeBron is overall a more complete all-around player. Kobe can play as a complete all-around player when he wants to, but LeBron does it far more consistently and it's a natural part of his game.

I won't even get into this argument because I don't feel like seeing people come out of the blue with formulas and crap. Didn't Kobe win two finals MVP's? Let's not act like that's some tough task that's beyond Kobe. I can't debate any further my temper has been through the roof lately I'm trying to stay on this forum.
Jazzygirl205

Postby OX1947 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Cracks me up all the time when folks say Kobe has had to make up for lack of athletic limitations compared to guys like MJ and Lebron. Are you nuts? Did you forget this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dic-CL5mF9k

or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYVUqjSCbE

Come on..
OX1947

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
purp n gold wrote:06 Kobe. He could make any shot within 30 ft of the basket, consistently... and still take it to the rack better than Wade ever did, with less contact and more efficiency. Pretty sure it's that same Kobe who dunked on Dwight, Yao & Duncan in those years.

Sorry but Wade, in his prime, was better at getting to the rim than Kobe. Wade didn't have Kobe's overall game but he was better at the pure art of getting to the rim. The guy was a beast in his prime.

Wade was never better than Kobe at getting to the rim. Just more reckless, and his health has shown that. Kobe is and always has been the more intelligent slasher, and in his prime, was just as athletic as Wade if not more.

Wade never developed a consistent jumpshot. He's streaky at best... literally. In his prime, he was at best a streaky shooter. What does that mean? He's attacked the basket countless times more than Kobe. Kobe's jumper was already solid by 2001-2. Just because Kobe didn't a make living out of attacking the basket, doesn't mean he was worse than Wade at it.

And there was a 3-4 year period where Wade was almost untouchable in the paint. Ask the mid-2000 Pistons (especially Rasheed Wallace) and the '06 Mavs. Yes, Kobe has gotten preferential treatment from the refs. But Kobe was never a referee darling the way Wade was in those years.

Whether it was because of Kobe's rape trial, Kobe outting Shaq, Kobe acting and talking like Jordan, or Kobe just plain being a smug punk in his younger years - and Wade's ability to just be a likable guy - Kobe never had the ref's whistle the way Wade did.

Wade was a great player in his own right, but in my opinion, worse than Kobe in literally all facets of the game.

If we agree to disagree, then so be it. We were watching different games.

EDIT: typos
Last edited by purp n gold on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
purp n gold

Postby purp n gold on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:And I would completely disagree that it's easier to build a traditional line up around Kobe. LeBron is the most team friendly superstar ever along with Magic. You can throw a bunch of scrubs together and he would win. Maybe not a ring but get you 50 wins. And it's obvious why. He plays team ball. He looks to maximize the efficiency of the team. He doesn't look to just get 40 points at the expense of the offense. He tries to get his points within the flow of the offense. The guy is an amazing passer. His vision is one of the best ever. He sets up his teammates with easy looks time and time again. It's just what he does. LeBron impacts the game in more aspects than Kobe. Offensively, Kobe trumps LeBron. But if you look at their overall game and the impact they can have, it's LeBron.

Regarding LeBron, tend to agree with you on most points. But if we're really considering the poll question "Who would you draft?", I tend to go Kobe for a specific reason -

And I will admit that my stance on this topic can fall apart with Kobe's selfishness & LeBron's willingness to play team ball - but hear me out:

But my argument is this - I don't think LeBron can play at a high level with a dominant big man. When we're talking playoffs/finals, and the game slows down... In order to maximize LeBron, the lane must be open for him in a half court set.

Consequently, LeBron's needs either a stretch big, or a hustle big who is OK with consistently setting up on the weak side post or high post. The Heat's approach by playing pseudo-C or 5 wing players is strategically flawed. That's why guys like Roy Hibbert and a gimp Joakim Noah give them the business for 7 games. LeBron is just great enough to overcome it.

Even LeBron's passing is predicated on whether he has the threat (open lane) of getting to the basket.

If a player has double coverage and the pass just isn't there, 9/10 times it's a turnover. But a fade-away with 2-3 defenders on him? Kobe has embarrassed them on the regular.

And it goes without saying Kobe, not only played, but dominated with a dominant big man. Since Kobe's skill set is diverse, he can change into a variety of roles. We've seen him do it throughout his career.

Can you ever imagine any Prime Kobe + Big Man X (Shaq/Pau/Bynum) combination going 7 games against the 2013 Pacers or Bulls?

And my point is that LeBron will probably never play with a dominant big-man, because it would take away from his overall game. He'd probably be excellent with Pau/Bynum/Shaq, but he wouldn't be the at-potential-version of LeBron that we're watching today. And if those big men had to consistently stay on the weak side post, they would be playing to their potential either.

2001 Shaq & Kobe PPG: 28.7/28.5... Playoffs: 30.4 & 29.4 :man4:

If we were playing an all-era fantasy draft, by picking LeBron & ruling out traditional big men would put you at a serious disadvantage. Not so much with Kobe. That's why I think it's easier to build around him.
purp n gold

Postby Snake Eyes on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I only think LeBron was a good shooter because he had spacing provided by Wade and Bosh. If he had that old Lakers team, I doubt he'd be able to put up such great stats. I doubt he coverts 40% of his threes. Kobe did what he did that year. So we know what he was capable. Thus, I'd take the 2006 Kobe.
Snake Eyes

Postby CGrand81 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:50 pm

I'd pick LeBron, tough choice though.

He's the best player I've seen in my short time here, Kobe would be number 2. LBJ just does everything except for scoring like Kobe where James is more like a one trick pony... but its unstoppable, the Randy Moss of NBA.
CGrand81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I think one big issue in the debate is that some fans care about effectiveness, what they'd call the bottom line. Another camp of fans look at the completeness of the game, the artistry of it.

I'm in the latter camp.

I can appreciate the effectiveness of LeBron, his size and quickness when he drives to the rim. The same way I appreciate the sheer thunder when Shaq dunked. Some guys have ugly games, but their superior physique and strength make them better than everyone else. LeBron, Shaq, Wilt, and even Barkley are in this category. I marvel at their physical dominance of the game.

The guys that really amaze me are the artists, the consummate professionals. They are masters of their craft, and they transcend what the rest of the guys are able to do. Kobe, MJ, KAJ, and Magic are all in this category, are my favorite players of all time (not necessarily in that order).

For me at least, valuing the second category makes it hard for me to put guys in the first category at the top of the game. I can appreciate them, but I can't put them above the artists of the game.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Forward Three on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:00 pm

The one thing Wade has on Kobe all day long is shot blocking, which I'd also say is one aspect of Kobe's game that isn't basically in 'as-good-as-it-gets' territory, granted a shotblocking 2 guard is pretty weird/rare in the first place, but Wade is extremely good at it, especially given he is a bit shorter than Kobe.

2006 Kobe was every bit as good at getting to the rim as Wade in his prime, better really, Kobe doesn't rely on barreling down the lane though, he's always been more footwork oriented, more skillful at it. His back-to-the-basket game is unrivaled at his position(And really only the best offensive centers surpass it), and that's often how he gets points in the paint, versus the 'get a step and gas it' style that is becoming increasingly common in the league today.

I think, with Kobe, his scoring has always been the highlight and that is at least somewhat a reflection of what the league was valuing when Kobe was coming of age. You look at the period of 2000-2007 or so and the league's top scorers tended to be scoring more than they have been in recent years, there were more 50+ and 60+ games, more 20+ quarters. That was just kind of how the game was played. But the thing we've always seen with Kobe is that whenever he applies himself at literally any other aspect of the game, he excels at it almost immediately. His _basketball skill set_ is as deep as it gets, literally.

People talk about Lebron being the only 1-5 defender as if Kobe hasn't done it or something. Kobe has never shied away from guarding any position and he has effectively done so on plenty of occasions, and sure the 5 spot will always be a major disadvantage, but Lebron can only guard 5s because the refs let him. Remember the way he pushed Pau around? anyone other than Lebron is on 5 fouls by the third quarter doing that. And other than a few marquee moments, Lebron rarely ever guards 5s, or even point guards for that matter, and let's be honest, other than Derrick Rose and Westbrook(sometimes), who has he stopped at the 1 spot? Certainly not Rondo, CP3 or Tony Parker.

Of course, none of this stuff is conclusive. The punchline to all of these debates is that past a certain point, individual skill and talent doesn't even really matter any more, you reach a certain threshold and the difference is negligible in a game sense, on any given night any of the top 5 players at any given season will go off and be 'the best of all time', you can't just extract players from their teams and situations and it's really only through watching the game for a _long_ time that you can even pretend to sketch out any meaningful good/better between top players.
Forward Three

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 am

Seeing that was the year kobe was dropping 62 pts in 3 quarters...81 pts on folk..40 pts avg for a month...pretty much eating up the league for breakfast lunch and dinner...and BTW didn't have an allstar team safe to say I take kobe all day everyday.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 am

I guess being a basketball purist, Kobe's game has always rubbed me the wrong way. If you have played the game and appreciate the game in its purist form, you know that Kobe has not been playing the game the right way in terms of playing team ball for many stretches during his career. Sure, it's understandable to do it once in a while but he's had a habit of doing it. Even Phil Jackson confirmed this in his latest book. Kobe played too much "me" ball for my taste and not enough team ball. Sure, when his teams were good enough to win it all, he realized that he had to play more within the team concept and he did that. But once he realized that his teams weren't good enough to compete, it's like he decided to forget his team and just try to get his. That just doesn't fly with me. That's something a guy like LeBron or CP3 would never do.

I'm from the days of Magic. It's all about team basketball. About getting everyone involved and having them feel good about being on the team. That's the way basketball should be played. Seems like this generation has been bombarded with a lot of me first type players like Kobe and Iverson, etc. Seeing Lebron play the game the right way is good for the sport imo because that's how the game should be played. Playing to maximize the talent on your team. Not playing just to get yours at the expense of the offense.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 am

If I'm building a team around those two guys at that exact stage, then this question is easy. It's Lebron.

There isn't a debate about who is the best scorer. Kobe's 2006 season is unarguably the most impressive display scoring I have ever witnessed. It will probably remain that way for much of my adult life. I hope I'm wrong though. As a fan, I was filled with unbridled joy. I still act an over-hyped kid when I talk about that year.

But Lebron's playmaking ability combined with his scoring and efficiency is a 3-headed monster that is completely unmatched. Comprehensively, I haven't seen one player possess all of them at the same time. With Kobe, you know exactly what you need (like someone said earlier) a dominant big man, and spot-up shooters on the wing.

With Lebron, you have flexibility. You can run a "pace and space" offense. You can play small ball. You can run half-court and transition-style O with equal aplomb. You could even have a traditional center with a stretch 4. Defensively, (because of Lebron's size) he can also cover another position, the 4 spot.

Given equally bad teams (like the 06 Lakers), Lebron squeezes out 7-9 more wins imo. His style of play is conducive for easier baskets for lesser players. His leadership personality is also more reassuring for the lesser player. Kobe is in the "iron fisted" mold of Jordan, which has its merits. It's often abrasive though. Lebron is cut from a personality mold of Magic - affable, fun, a desire to share the wealth, encouraging. These have undeniable results for a poorly talented team.

Kobe is the better scorer from 2006. Lebron is the better player overall, easily.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:14 am

Iceberg Slim wrote:If I'm building a team around those two guys at that exact stage, then this question is easy. It's Lebron.

There isn't a debate about who is the best scorer. Kobe's 2006 season is unarguably the most impressive display scoring I have ever witnessed. It will probably remain that way for much of my adult life. I hope I'm wrong though. As a fan, I was filled with unbridled joy. I still act an over-hyped kid when I talk about that year.

But Lebron's playmaking ability combined with his scoring and efficiency is a 3-headed monster that is completely unmatched. Comprehensively, I haven't seen one player possess all of them at the same time. With Kobe, you know exactly what you need (like someone said earlier) a dominant big man, and spot-up shooters on the wing.

With Lebron, you have flexibility. You can run a "pace and space" offense. You can play small ball. You can run half-court and transition-style O with equal aplomb. You could even have a traditional center with a stretch 4. Defensively, (because of Lebron's size) he can also cover another position, the 4 spot.

Given equally bad teams (like the 06 Lakers), Lebron squeezes out 7-9 more wins imo. His style of play is conducive for easier baskets for lesser players. His leadership personality is also more reassuring for the lesser player. Kobe is in the "iron fisted" mold of Jordan, which has its merits. It's often abrasive though. Lebron is cut from a personality mold of Magic - affable, fun, a desire to share the wealth, encouraging. These have undeniable results for a poorly talented team.

Kobe is the better scorer from 2006. Lebron is the better player overall, easily.

Nice. You know your basketball sir. Objective, constructive and from my perspective, unbiased. Agree with everything you said.

LeBron has the game to where if you put him on the worst team in the NBA, he would instantly make them close to 50 game winners. Why? Because it's his nature to get everyone involved and play within the team concept. This naturally makes any team more potent because teams have to account for everyone. Kobe, as he proved in 2006, does the opposite. When the going gets tough, he shoots his way out. When he's on, the team wins. When he's off, the team loses. Everything rides on Kobe's accuracy that night. That is not team basketball. And that is exactly why LeBron dominates the MVP voting and has already won 4 mvps. His impact on the game is so much more profound in many different aspects. He is the definition of "valuable". And I see him winning taking home a few more the next few seasons to end up with 7-8, which would be a record.

He's in the same mold as CP3. Put CP3 on the worst team in the NBA right now, and they make the playoffs. He makes everyone around him better. It's also his nature to play team ball first. He could easily average 30 ppg if he wanted too but he chooses to play team ball.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Iceberg Slim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:32 am

Kobe, as he proved in 2006, does the opposite. When the going gets tough, he shoots his way out. When he's on, the team wins. When he's off, the team loses. Everything rides on Kobe's accuracy that night. That is not team basketball.

Completely spot-on.

And that is exactly why LeBron dominates the MVP voting and has already won 4 mvps. His impact on the game is so much more profound in many different aspects. He is the definition of "valuable". And I see him winning taking home a few more the next few seasons to end up with 7-8, which would be a record.

Either people don't understand this (philosophically) or don't want to acknowledge it for it's painful truth. This is essentially why (statistically) it's very difficult for James to have a "bad game". He does so much that affects the outcome of games possession by possession. Stat-stuffer defines him. And yes, I see him getting 3-4 MVP's in the next 7 years.

He could easily average 30 ppg if he wanted too but he chooses to play team ball.

I agree. But he plays to his strength. 65/35 scoring to passing. He know's he's the best. And he knows how to dominate. If his jumper and clutch ability consistently stay on elite level for 5-6 years, he can and will go down as one of the top 3 players to ever pick up a basketball.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion