Re: AK47 signs with Nets for mini mle

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 am

Oh he's definitely getting paid under the table. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am

Wouldn't you when your wife is giving you the right to cheat on her once a year :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 am

therealdeal wrote:Oh he's definitely getting paid under the table. :man10:

...or threatened to be deposed to the Gulag. :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 am

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Oh he's definitely getting paid under the table. :man10:

...or threatened to be deposed to the Gulag. :man1:

:man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Psychobroker on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 am

Frank Dux wrote:He opted out of 10 million to take the mMLE. Something is fishy here...

Great signing though, if the Net's are healthy(that's a big if considering their roster) I see no reason why they can't contend.

Maybe he just wants a better chance at winning instead of flailing away in Minnesota?
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 am

Wojo

Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals
43 minutes ago

The rest of the NBA had resigned itself to billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov's relentless pursuit of players and playoff success, absorbing it all until the Brooklyn Nets are pushing an unprecedented $185 million in payroll and punitive taxes. From Deron Williams to Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce to Joe Johnson, these Nets embody the spirit of the Russian's imperialistic vision.

Andrei Kirilenko opted out of a contract that would have paid him $10 million with the Timberwolves this season. …
Prokhorov had come to conquer the NBA, constructing a basketball arena in the borough of Brooklyn and empowering general manager Billy King to transform a barren roster into a championship contender. The Nets were destined to gather talent in this kind of boldly belligerent way, big names and bigger contracts stacked to the stars. From $101 million in salary to $82 million in luxury tax, Brooklyn has introduced itself as one of the biggest targets in the history of the NBA.
Only this time, the rest of the NBA believes the Nets have gone too far, delivering the league into an unfiltered rage. The signing of Russian free agent Andrei Kirilenko – a $10 million-a-year player last season – for Brooklyn's $3.1 mini-midlevel exception has transformed rival owners and front office executives into an angry mob of disbelievers.
The insinuations are unmistakable: Around the NBA, there are calls for the commissioner's office to investigate the possibilities of side deals and Russian rubles ruling the day – for now, unfounded charges based on circumstance and appearances.
Within the NBA, there had long been those promising that deals would start popping up involving Prokhorov that made no fiscal sense, theorizing that high-end players could take less within the constraints of the salary cap and still make up the difference in clandestine pacts.
Once the Russian billionaire convinced a superb Russian player to take $7 million less to be a backup to Pierce, the rest of the NBA's reaction was instant and uproarious. For the first time now, the Nets have truly arrived as a contending franchise. They're good, with a chance to be great, and the rest of the NBA wants an investigation.
"Brazen," one Western Conference GM told Yahoo! Sports.

Mikhail Prokhorov has shown little concern for the NBA's hefty luxury-tax penalties. (USA Today Sports)
"Let's see if the league has any credibility," one NBA owner told Yahoo! Sports. "It's not about stopping it. It's about punishing them if they're doing it."
Another Eastern Conference GM: "There should be a probe. How obvious is it?"
The telephone calls and text messages kept coming on Thursday night and Friday morning, and the reason was simple: Few trust Prokhorov to honor the NBA's salary-cap rules and regulations. He made his $15 billion fortune in the wild 1990s in Russia in what he called, "cowboy territory with no sheriff." Bribes were part of the business culture, and Prokhorov confessed to his part in it.
It is easy to make the accusations, but harder to prove that Prokhorov and his management did anything but a solid sales job after the free-agent market had dried up on Kirilenko. When it comes to uninhibited spending and free-agent coups, the modern NBA has a long list of targets. Understand something else, too: Plenty of American-born owners, running respected franchises, have come under these suspicions, too. Charges of side deals didn't start with Prokhorov and won't end with him.
Nevertheless, this is the second time there's been questions about the Nets' signing of a foreign free agent below market value.
A year ago, Brooklyn agreed on a full midlevel-exception deal with Euro forward Mirza Teletovic on a three-year, $15.7 million contract. Shortly after the agreement, Brooklyn realized it needed to alter the exception slot to still keep open the chance for cutting a trade for Dwight Howard. Without re-entering the market, Teletovic accepted a three-year, $9 million deal at the mini midlevel.
Part of all this is the mystery surrounding Prokhorov, the distrust that comes with how he amassed his fortune, and his bold predictions of an NBA title within five years of purchasing the franchise.
When the Boston Celtics made the Kevin Garnett deal to make themselves championship contenders, everyone accused Minnesota Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale of preferential treatment of the Celtics and their general manager, Danny Ainge, in the deal. When Pat Riley brought LeBron James and Chris Bosh together for discounts on max contracts, there were cries of collusion.
Nets officials will privately tell you they understand these suspicions were inevitable – even if they believe the suspicions are misguided and misinformed. Nevertheless, Kirilenko has long been a target of Prokhorov, the highest-profile Russian star in the NBA and forever an object of the owner's desire. The Nets were discussing deals to back up Pierce with the pedestrian Alan Anderson until discussions with Kirilenko became more serious in the past several days.
Kirilenko wanted a three-year deal with a minimum of $8 million per season, front-office executives said. Several teams, including the San Antonio Spurs, pursued Kirilenko with sign-and-trade discussions with Minnesota only nothing could get done. Kirilenko has history with Deron Williams, the Nets star. They played together for five years in Utah. Most of all, Kirilenko has history with Prokhorov. The billionaire owned CSKA Moscow, and Kirilenko played for him there, too.
The Nets pursued Kyle Korver with its $3.1 million exception to start free agency, but he re-signed with Atlanta. Eventually, Kirilenko and the Nets were left shopping, and a deal was consummated on Thursday.
Brooklyn gets a strong, athletic defender to pursue James and Dwyane Wade in the playoffs, one more willing passer and scorer. For the Nets, too, they get the scorn of the sport now. Everyone can suggest it was easy to construct this roster with no financial limitations, but, rest assured, everyone couldn't have done what Prokhorov and King have done with these Nets – whatever everyone thinks. Brooklyn has arrived with suspicions and charges and jealousies, arrived in unmistakable and unprecedented noise. Here are the Nets now: From Russia, with loathe.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Kirilenko was telling everybody in the league he wanted 3 years 24 million, but somehow he ends up playing for 2 years/6.2 million? Hm...

Not suspicious at all. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm pretty sure that Riles has been making under the table deals to construct his super team. Allen took less, Birdman signs for less, heck the big three " took paycuts ".
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby retro_nights on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:22 pm

maybe when he opted out the market for him wasn't as good as he thought.

taking a paycut isn't that crazy.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 pm

retro_nights wrote:maybe when he opted out the market for him wasn't as good as he thought.

Read the story. He was in talks with the Spurs about a sign and trade for 8 million dollars. The thought was being entertained.

Why would he suddenly NOT entertain that offer? That's like seeing a job offer from two like companies and taking the one that's offering you less money.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:56 pm

He probably is getting paid under the table, and I don't see any way the league can truly expose it (would they even investigate it?) / do anything about it.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm

it's time for us to start doing that under the table thing
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Finwë wrote:He probably is getting paid under the table, and I don't see any way the league can truly expose it (would they even investigate it?) / do anything about it.

I guess they could get a warrant to check Kirilenko's financials? If they could get a look at his spending and see that he's spending more than his income should dictate, then obviously he's doing something weird here.

But I don't think they'll get to that point.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm

I think it's been happening ever since all-stars have been signing for the vets min. I wouldn't be surprised if Karl Malone got money under the table.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby retro_nights on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:
retro_nights wrote:maybe when he opted out the market for him wasn't as good as he thought.

Read the story. He was in talks with the Spurs about a sign and trade for 8 million dollars. The thought was being entertained.

Why would he suddenly NOT entertain that offer? That's like seeing a job offer from two like companies and taking the one that's offering you less money.

because money isn't the only factor in taking a job.

location, management, and people you work with are major considerations on top of compensation. nick young took potentially 5 million less, is it a stretch that ak47 takes 5 million less as well? thats if spurs are offering 8 million and he signed for 3 million, just as young made 6 million last year and signs for the minimum with us.

could this have been a shady deal? sure. but honestly the penalties outweigh the rewards, for a player like ak47.

when minny did it they thought joe smith was the next great thing. ak47 is well past his prime.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I haven't read any reports that Nick Young got another 6 million dollar offer THIS season, but you make a good point. I just have a hard time believing that a player who is negotiating for a 24 million dollar contract suddenly just because Brooklyn gave him a call. Especially the speed with which this happened. I'm sure if other cities had known he was willing to sign for that cheap, he'd have many teams giving him a call.

The circumstances though are all very suspicious.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:He probably is getting paid under the table, and I don't see any way the league can truly expose it (would they even investigate it?) / do anything about it.

I guess they could get a warrant to check Kirilenko's financials? If they could get a look at his spending and see that he's spending more than his income should dictate, then obviously he's doing something weird here.

No I don't think they'd do that. That's a major move, and I think the league doesn't want the mess.

Plus, I don't think you could really tell if he's being payed under the table by looking at his spending, based on the fact that he was already rich from many, many years of playing (and probably has some investments and other stuff going on).
The russian owner wouldn't go for it if he thought there was any chance it would get exposed, IMO.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:19 pm

just because he and the owner are russian doesn't mean he's getting paid under the table. this guy has made enough money in his career that, if he hasn't been stupid with it, his children's children won't have to work a day in their lives. maybe he legit wants to win something, or didn't want to live in f****n minnesota anymore
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby dj vitus on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

No I don't think they'd do that. That's a major move, and I think the league doesn't want the mess.

Plus, I don't think you could really tell if he's being payed under the table by looking at his spending, based on the fact that he was already rich from many, many years of playing (and probably has some investments and other stuff going on).
The russian owner wouldn't go for it if he thought there was any chance it would get exposed, IMO.

Psh, he's probably paying Stern under the table. :man10:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion