AK47 signs with Nets for mini mle

Andrei Kirilenko: catches SA's attention

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:44 am

Flip Saunders Unsure Of Andrei Kirilenko's Free Agency Plans

Andre Kirilenko needs to decide days before July 1 whether he will exercise next season on his contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves or opt for free agency.

Flip Saunders is not sure of Kirilenko's plans.

“We don’t have a gut feel,” Saunders said of Kirilenko’s plans. “It’s a lot of money, at $10 million, to say you’re going to opt out of it. But anything can happen. You know how that goes.”

Kirilenko averaged 12.4 points an 5.7 rebounds in 64 games this season.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/06/0 ... to-return/
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: AK 47 Likely To Wait Until After Draft To Decide On Option

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:47 am

Andrei Kirilenko Likely To Wait Until After Draft To Decide On Option

by: Jerry Zgoda

I spoke with Andrei Kirilenko from the south of France just a few minutes ago and he said he probably won't decide whether to pick up his $10 million-plus option for next year until after next week's draft.

Kirilenko has until June 29 to make up his mind, a curious date because it's two days after the June 27 draft.

"I think it will come right after the draft,'" he said of his decision when reached today just after dinnertime in France.

You'd think the Wolves would want to know Kirilenko's status heading into the draft so they can make informed decisions, but that's the date in the two-year contract David Kahn reached with him last summer.

Kirilenko said he hasn't spoken with his agent at length about the matter yet, but plans to do so in the next three to four days.

Kahn's departure and the arrival of new basketball ops president Flip Saunders probably will affect Kirilenko's decision.

Kahn would have been more likely to offer Kirilenko a substantial three-year extension -- maybe even at similar money -- that he is seeking here at age 32.

Saunders might be willing to offer him, say, a two-year deal if Kirilenko opts out of next season, but you can bet it won't be at $10 million per year.

Kirilenko has said he could walk away from that $10 million because this might be the last chance in his career for a multi-year extension rather than take a chance on next summer, when Miami's big three all could hit free agency if each so chooses.

He also has said his family will help make the decision. His three children like living in the United States and he said late last season that they enjoy living in Minnesota.

Denver's Andre Iguodala last week walked away from a $16 million option for next season, but he's also three years younger than Kirilenko.

This, of course, could go either one, but I think Flip's arrival as boss makes it more likely Kirilenko takes the $10 million guaranteed in his pocket and then sees what summer 2014 brings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212362091.html
Kobe8Fan

Andrei Kirilenko Opts Out Of Contract With Timberwolves

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:43 am

Andrei Kirilenko Opts Out Of Contract With Timberwolves

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Andrei Kirilenko is opting out of the final year of a contract that would have paid him $10 million next season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, making him a free agent.

Kirilenko made the decision on Saturday, the deadline that was written into the two-year, $20 million deal he signed last summer, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press. The person requested anonymity because an official announcement has not been made.

In turning down the final year of his contract with the Timberwolves, Kirilenko is instead hoping to get a little extra security with a longer term deal when the market opens at 12:01 a.m. Eastern on July 1.

The versatile forward is coming off a rejuvenating year in which he averaged 12.4 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game for the Wolves, his best season in the league since 2005-06. The 32-year-old had more spring in his step after spending the lockout year playing at home in Russia, and he flourished in Rick Adelman's free-flowing system.

But Kirilenko also missed 18 games with assorted injuries, one of a number of Timberwolves players who missed significant time last season, the ninth straight year they have missed the playoffs. Kirilenko was largely responsible for the Wolves' dramatic improvement on the defensive end, with Adelman enjoying the luxury of being able to put him on every position besides center, depending on who was the biggest threat on a given night.

His ability to pass and move without the ball also made him ideal for Adelman's offense, and the veteran was superb in helping fellow Russian Alexey Shved make the transition to Minnesota for his rookie season last year.

New Timberwolves President Flip Saunders started getting an inclination that Kirilenko could opt out at least a week ago, and he made some plans for such a scenario.

The Wolves acquired swingman Shabazz Muhammad in a draft-night deal with the Utah Jazz on Thursday night in part to give them some depth at small forward. They also have Derrick Williams on the roster, though he has shown in his first two seasons to be a more natural fit at power forward and could be on the move himself.

The Wolves could try to negotiate a longer term deal - perhaps two or three years - at a reduced salary to bring Kirilenko back. Or they could use the $10 million they're saving on his contract to help pay restricted free agent center Nikola Pekovic, who is expected to get a significant offer on the open market that the Wolves will have the option of matching, and add a veteran shooting guard to a team that finished last in the league in 3-point shooting last season.

Kirilenko's decision could leave the Wolves with about $7 million to spend on free agents. O.J. Mayo, Kyle Korver, Kevin Martin, J.J. Redick and Marco Bellinelli all could be free agent targets for the Wolves. They also want to re-sign unrestricted free agent forward Chase Budinger, who would help fill in for Kirilenko.

If Kirilenko does go elsewhere, he will undoubtedly be a sought-after veteran. He proved last season that he still had plenty of good basketball left in him after four years of declining production led to his decision to play 2011-12 in Russia. And any team looking for a lockdown defender and willing passer to help make a playoff push could jump at the chance to bring him into the mix.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/06/29/kiri ... ef:nbahpts

I wonder if the Nets are still interested in him.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Andrei Kirilenko Opts Out Of Contract With Timberwolves

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2h
One of the teams that troubles Minnesota in Wolves' bid to retain Andrei Kirilenko: San Antonio. I'm told Spurs have AK-47 in their sights
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Andrei Kirilenko: catches SA's attention

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:14 pm

That's a pretty dangerous pick up.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

He's a good fit for their system
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 pm

I hope this doesn't happen.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 am

Signing would be cancelled by a jealous Mike Brown ... way too much length with him and Leonard on the floor ...

AK47 would be a great fit , not many players are better than him when it comes to moving without the ball ... his health is a question mark though ... not sure how much money does he want to ?
wcsoldier81

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 am

I think I agree with all the thoughts expressed here. Good move for them. Good fit. Yikes.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Probasketballdraft ‏@Probballdraft 25m
Andrei Kirilenko drawing interest from the Kings, Spurs, Nets, and Cavs. AK47 free agency has been surprisingly quiet.
JSM

AK47 signs with Nets for mini mle

Postby juninho on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Peter Vecsey ‏@PeterVecsey1

This just in: Nets have signed. Kirilenko for mini mid-level, 3.1M per

Really godd pickup for Nets. He can backup both Pierce and KG. But Nets owner will def pay him under table. Hell if Kirilenko's family in Russia not being killed is under the table money.
juninho

Re: AK47 signs with Nets for mini mle

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Daaaaamn
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Great pickup for them. Really helps stretch their thin bench.
JSM

Postby revgen on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Great pickup for them.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby TIME on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Inb4 someone swoops in with "we shoulda signed him instead of Caveman!$??!"
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:32 pm

JSM wrote:Great pickup for them. Really helps stretch their thin bench.

Agree... He will spell Pierce at the 3, can score and is still an above average defender. He and Lemonhead gives them some capability off the pine.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm

this is a nice signing for brooklyn. their team is looking much improved.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby XXIV on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Excellent signing for Brooklyn. If they can stay relative healthy they really have a shot in beating Miami. Or they could turn out like last seasons Lakers and everything goes to hell. :man10:
XXIV

Postby Aonex on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

That better be enough firepower to get past Miami.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby noobiew on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 pm

What? AK47 is available for mmle ? :man4:

I really hope Brooklyn Nets beat Miami cHeat in the playoffs.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Damn this could be the best nab of the off-season...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm

A Russian left around 7 M on the table ? Revolution is coming people

Is it me or the Kidd hire doesn't make any sense with this type of roster ?
wcsoldier81

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 am

He opted out of 10 million to take the mMLE. Something is fishy here...

Great signing though, if the Net's are healthy(that's a big if considering their roster) I see no reason why they can't contend.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:25 am

^^^^ yeah wouldn't be surprised if he get additional money on the side through a relative in Russia
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 am

Oh he's definitely getting paid under the table. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to NBA Discussion