All-NBA All-Time Team

All-NBA All-Time Team

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:35 am

Ok, I know we were already discussing this previously ... however, that thread was sidetracked and then off topic as well. So here's a new one that we can keep fresh and clean. :man1:

Here's my All Time Team: (with corresponding second team this time)

1st Team
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

2nd Team
PG: John Stockton
SG: Oscar Robertson
SF: Julius Erving
PF: Karl Malone
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Now, you'll note first off that I have changed my 1st team center. This is for three reasons.

1. It's always been difficult for me to decide which was better, there are several very good ones.
2. It's difficult to express with numbers alone how good I think Olajuwon really was. Especially on the Defensive side of the ball.
3. Going back and looking at Kareem's defensive numbers, I was more impressed than I have been in the past. In other words, he was a better defender than I gave him credit for.

You'll also note that I still believe Hakeem is #2 ... yes, better than Wilt (Still some question here)... and yes, better than Shaq (No doubt about this one).
So for now, I'm gonna move Hakeem down and put Kareem in at the #1 spot. His numbers and his presence on the court make him deserving.
One other thing ... It was difficult to leave Jerry West off the list, but I went with Oscar Robertson for my second team SG. But it was a tough choice.
Now, as for Tim Duncan at the Starting PF spot, ... There is no doubt in my opinion that Duncan has been, is, and will be a better PF than Malone.
And the numbers support that position as well.

Duncan vs. Malone (Numbers previous to this season, and will be even more in Duncan's favor after this year.)

Years: 6 -- 18
MVP's: 2 -- 2
Rings: 2 -- 0
PPG: 22.9 -- 25.4
RPG: 12.3 -- 10.2
APG: 3.2 -- 3.5
BPG: 2.5 -- .78
SPG: .78 -- 1.4
FG%: 51.0 -- 51.7
FT%: 71.0 -- 74.2
EFF: 27.94 -- 27.18
First Team All NBA Selection: 6 (7 after this year) -- 11
First Team All NBA Defense: 5 (6 after this year) -- 3

So Malone edges Duncan in Points, Assists, and Steals. Duncan edges Malone on Rebounds, Blocks, and Rings. As well as being an All NBA 1st team selection for his first 7 seasons in the league, and being All NBA 1st team defesne for 6 of his first 7 seasons in the league. I realize that Malone has scored alot of points in the league, but he's only a couple points ahead of Duncan on the Per/Game average. If Duncan manages to play for 18 years, he should easily surpass Malone in nearly every major PF catagory by the time he's done. And considering that he never had one of the "two best point guards to ever play the game" around to help him, In my opinion, Duncan is already better than Malone.

As far as anyone else goes ... Duncan is already better than Barkley, McHale, Worthy, and anyone else from the 60's and early 70's.

So there you have it ... My ALL TIME NBA FIRST TEAM selections. Enjoy! :man1:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:07 am

Rings don't count for who's the better player.

You can't compare 18 years of consistancy and only missing 9 career gamers to Duncan.

Compare them in 8 years but for now give it a rest.

Re: All-NBA All-Time Team

Postby lakersfan9 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:22 am

T-Wolves Rule wrote:Ok, I know we were already discussing this previously ... however, that thread was sidetracked and then off topic as well. So here's a new one that we can keep fresh and clean. :man1:

1st Team

2nd Team
tim duncan is not the best powerforward ever man can you get it threw your head? and jerry west you forgot about and a few more so umm ur not that acurat

Now, you'll note first off that I have changed my 1st team center. This is for three reasons.

1. It's always been difficult for me to decide which was better, there are several very good ones.
2. It's difficult to express with numbers alone how good I think Olajuwon really was. Especially on the Defensive side of the ball.
3. Going back and looking at Kareem's defensive numbers, I was more impressed than I have been in the past. In other words, he was a better defender than I gave him credit for.

You'll also note that I still believe Hakeem is #2 ... yes, better than Wilt (Still some question here)... and yes, better than Shaq (No doubt about this one).
So for now, I'm gonna move Hakeem down and put Kareem in at the #1 spot. His numbers and his presence on the court make him deserving.
One other thing ... It was difficult to leave Jerry West off the list, but I went with Oscar Robertson for my second team SG. But it was a tough choice.
Now, as for Tim Duncan at the Starting PF spot, ... There is no doubt in my opinion that Duncan has been, is, and will be a better PF than Malone.
And the numbers support that position as well.

Duncan vs. Malone (Numbers previous to this season, and will be even more in Duncan's favor after this year.)

Years: 6 -- 18
MVP's: 2 -- 2
Rings: 2 -- 0
PPG: 22.9 -- 25.4
RPG: 12.3 -- 10.2
APG: 3.2 -- 3.5
BPG: 2.5 -- .78
SPG: .78 -- 1.4
FG%: 51.0 -- 51.7
FT%: 71.0 -- 74.2
EFF: 27.94 -- 27.18
First Team All NBA Selection: 6 (7 after this year) -- 11
First Team All NBA Defense: 5 (6 after this year) -- 3

So Malone edges Duncan in Points, Assists, and Steals. Duncan edges Malone on Rebounds, Blocks, and Rings. As well as being an All NBA 1st team selection for his first 7 seasons in the league, and being All NBA 1st team defesne for 6 of his first 7 seasons in the league. I realize that Malone has scored alot of points in the league, but he's only a couple points ahead of Duncan on the Per/Game average. If Duncan manages to play for 18 years, he should easily surpass Malone in nearly every major PF catagory by the time he's done. And considering that he never had one of the "two best point guards to ever play the game" around to help him, In my opinion, Duncan is already better than Malone.

As far as anyone else goes ... Duncan is already better than Barkley, McHale, Worthy, and anyone else from the 60's and early 70's.

So there you have it ... My ALL TIME NBA FIRST TEAM selections. Enjoy! :man1:
lakersfan9

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:52 pm

tim duncan is not the best powerforward ever man can you get it threw your head? and jerry west you forgot about and a few more so umm ur not that acurat

This was the only part that I could find from you ... I hope I didn't miss anything else in there ...
In response ... Do you have another suggestion? ... Any facts, opinions, etc. to supplement your opinion?
You'll note if you reread my original post that I didn't forget West, he's mentioned.
And if I forgot others, would you kindly indicate who, when and where?

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:56 pm

How about Bill Russell? The guy is the greatest defensive player in the history of the NBA and he led his team to total dominance of an entire decade. Even the great Wilt couldn't beat Russell most of the time. The guy is the textbook definition of a winner. 2 NCAA championships at San Francisco and 11 NBA titles with the Celtics.

Postby shaqpak34 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:59 pm

hey only parts i disagree wit u twolves rule is the pf spot (switch the two) and the second center

i think wilt is better than hakeem, u can say all that bullshiz about the pre70s being much easier, but in fact, the level of play was the same

the one old nba analyst for espn even said so that when he played in the leauge, ppl got away wit more elbows nd stuf and that the nba got rules to protect the playaz better now

also, wilt the stilt had to go against bill russell, who is the best defensive player of all time in my opinion, and he still put up huge numbers against him

hakeem was no doubt great but i mean chamberlain could even PASS the bal so effectively that he even lead the league once

thats jsut amazing, and FIFTY FIVE rebounds????thats insane, not to mention 100 points

btw, can u help me think of other worthy pf's, i mean i dont knwo why but none just come to my mind like malone, barkley duncan, elvin hayes and kg do (i guess u could say mcadoo if u consider him a pf)
shaqpak34

Postby PrimeTime on Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:14 pm

shaqpak34 wrote:hey only parts i disagree wit u twolves rule is the pf spot (switch the two) and the second center

i think wilt is better than hakeem, u can say all that bullshiz about the pre70s being much easier, but in fact, the level of play was the same

the one old nba analyst for espn even said so that when he played in the leauge, ppl got away wit more elbows nd stuf and that the nba got rules to protect the playaz better now

also, wilt the stilt had to go against bill russell, who is the best defensive player of all time in my opinion, and he still put up huge numbers against him

hakeem was no doubt great but i mean chamberlain could even PASS the bal so effectively that he even lead the league once

thats jsut amazing, and FIFTY FIVE rebounds????thats insane, not to mention 100 points

btw, can u help me think of other worthy pf's, i mean i dont knwo why but none just come to my mind like malone, barkley duncan, elvin hayes and kg do (i guess u could say mcadoo if u consider him a pf)

KG is really more of a SF.

~Out, Prime
PrimeTime

Postby lakerfanimal on Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:56 pm

lok hakeem mita tried harder n wat not, but shaq is plain better, i don care who got the quadruple double or watever, shaq got 3 rings 1 mvp which olajuwn never got, 3 final mvps, n hes the most dominant ever, other than that its ok, but malone is better than duncan, n duncan hasnt done it long enough to merit consideration on an all time team yet
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby Kasumi on Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:02 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:lok hakeem mita tried harder n wat not, but shaq is plain better, i don care who got the quadruple double or watever, shaq got 3 rings 1 mvp which olajuwn never got, 3 final mvps, n hes the most dominant ever, other than that its ok, but malone is better than duncan, n duncan hasnt done it long enough to merit consideration on an all time team yet

What did Olajuwon not do? He won two championships ('94 & '95), MVP in 1994 and Finals MVP '94 and '95. I was just a little confused by what you wrote.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby lakerfanimal on Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:11 pm

my bad i forgot olajuwon got an mvp too, but my point shaq got more, ne has 3 rings, n overall i think olajuwon had better teams 1-12 around him
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby vonzipper86 on Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:47 am

1st Team

2nd Team

The list is pretty good though, here's mine:

1st Team
PF: Bill Russell
C: Wilt Chamberlain

2nd Team
PG: John Stocken
SG: Oscar Robinson
SF: Elgin Baylor
C: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

for kicks,

3rd Team
PG: Isiah Thomas
SG: Kobe Bryant
C: Shaquille O'Neal / Hakeem Olajuwon

I gotta show love to my Lakers, nothing can change that. Give Shaq and Kobe 10 years, they'll be living legends(like they practically are now).

I did read somewhere that Shaq though Hakeem was the hardest center to ever guard because of he had soo many post moves, but Shaq is a more efficient player. All of his stats are better than Hakeems except for Blocks and FT%. But, I like Hakeem better as a person than crybaby Shaq. He never whined or played down his game when he wasn't given the ball. So that's why I'll put them even.

By the end of his career, I think Kobe will average 25ppg, 6rpg, and 6apg. He would have Michael Jordan numbers, but his career stats are already jaded by sharing the ball with Shaq. So obviously that means he will never reach his potential PPG. But defensively, they are both monsters. He is seriously the Joe Montana of the NBA, there is no great player in NBA history without a nickname. He is just that good.

Bill Russell did play center, but by todays standards he would be a PF(being 6'9''). Think about it, he was only 6'9'' and averaged 22 rebounds per game! He also guarded Wilt Chamberlain exceptionally well while giving up 4 inches and 60 pounds.
-This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwlhcnoljnM
Showtime in Action
vonzipper86

Postby lakersfan9 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:24 pm

vonzipper86 wrote:

1st Team

2nd Team

The list is pretty good though, here's mine:

1st Team
PF: Bill Russell
C: Wilt Chamberlain

2nd Team
PG: John Stocken
SG: Oscar Robinson
SF: Elgin Baylor
C: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

for kicks,

3rd Team
PG: Isiah Thomas
SG: Kobe Bryant
C: Shaquille O'Neal / Hakeem Olajuwon

I gotta show love to my Lakers, nothing can change that. Give Shaq and Kobe 10 years, they'll be living legends(like they practically are now).

I did read somewhere that Shaq though Hakeem was the hardest center to ever guard because of he had soo many post moves, but Shaq is a more efficient player. All of his stats are better than Hakeems except for Blocks and FT%. But, I like Hakeem better as a person than crybaby Shaq. He never whined or played down his game when he wasn't given the ball. So that's why I'll put them even.

By the end of his career, I think Kobe will average 25ppg, 6rpg, and 6apg. He would have Michael Jordan numbers, but his career stats are already jaded by sharing the ball with Shaq. So obviously that means he will never reach his potential PPG. But defensively, they are both monsters. He is seriously the Joe Montana of the NBA, there is no great player in NBA history without a nickname. He is just that good.

Bill Russell did play center, but by todays standards he would be a PF(being 6'9''). Think about it, he was only 6'9'' and averaged 22 rebounds per game! He also guarded Wilt Chamberlain exceptionally well while giving up 4 inches and 60 pounds.

hey twolves punk if i would grade these 2 this one gets an A= and yours a D= C-
lakersfan9

Postby lakerfanimal on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:38 pm

shaq is still better than olajuwon
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby shaqpak34 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:50 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:my bad i forgot olajuwon got an mvp too, but my point shaq got more, ne has 3 rings, n overall i think olajuwon had better teams 1-12 around him

stop smoking buddy
shaqpak34

Postby shaqpak34 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:53 pm

lf, shaq got more what??? reading ur posts gives me a headache

btw, u have to take into consideration that the competition back then was much higher (no MJ to deprive ppl of rings)

the rocket team wasnt even the best one they had, it was a pretty good team but our 1999-2000 team was better by far

i wouldnt say shaq is better, but i wouldnt say he is worse either. if u ask me, i would consider them equals, one better than another in their one unique categories

btw, for SGs u must give credit to reggie miller also, although he wont make those teams, he could give competition for all nba team 4 if we get that far
shaqpak34

Postby vonzipper86 on Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:02 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:lok hakeem mita tried harder n wat not, but shaq is plain better, i don care who got the quadruple double or watever, shaq got 3 rings 1 mvp which olajuwn never got, 3 final mvps, n hes the most dominant ever, other than that its ok, but malone is better than duncan, n duncan hasnt done it long enough to merit consideration on an all time team yet

funny thing is, shaq admitted hakeem is better then him in alot of interviews. Hakeem was the king of post moves.
-This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwlhcnoljnM
Showtime in Action
vonzipper86

Return to NBA Discussion