Amare: The Next Big Thing?

Amare: The Next Big Thing?

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:06 pm

In a recent thread, somebody pointed out that Amare is on the verge of becomin the next big thing in the NBA at the PF position...

I will have to agree on this after puttin much thot into it...Amare definetly has all the potential to become a great PF amongst KG, Duncan, Malone, Nowitzki, etc etc

And he is paired up with a great scoring tandem of marbury and marion, with marbury learning how to distribute, and marion developing his game every year.

The Rookie Of the Year from last year should have an explosive year, i think his scoring avg will jump to about 16-18ppg, and pull down about 10rpg...

Who else thinks Amare is the next "big thing"?
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11758
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby BDG on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:11 pm

I will admit that I was the one who pointed it out and here's why I think so:

1. He's young and talented, giving him a LOT of time to develop his talent
2. He's powerful for his age
3. He has great quickness for his size
4. He's very athletic (the kid can do a thru-da-legs dunk and he's 6'10"0
5. He can score and rebound with ease and it'll only get easier for him

What do the rest of you think?
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby JSM on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:22 pm

I think he is a "next big thing", because he plays like he is a veteran, and yet he is now only entering his second year in the NBA. He will do well with a good group of players around him, who can also score and get him the ball. He has a top 5 PG on his team and a top 10 SF. He has matured and developed faster than most players can dream of. He has shown he can hang with the top big men in the league. He has crazy hops, he was in the dunk contest, something that isn't all that common for a 6'10 PF, and serves as an excellent low post presence for the Suns.

His breakout game was against KG, he had 38 points, a record for a rookie. And mind you that this was against the T-Wolves who have KG and it was not against some team that doesn't have a player that size or that has a guy his size but has no skill....no this was against KG, and this was only in his 31st game of his career. Last year he averaged more rebounds than any other rookie and was 2nd in scoring for a rookie. He averaged 13.5 points and 8.8 rebound. I see a very bright future, for this rising star.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94002
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Postby SWOL on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:40 am

he reminds me of a young McDyess with more passion for the game, Antonio seemed to have all the tools to dominate, but never had that FIRE in his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.], Amare has that fire, he is indeed the next big thing.......infact he'll be a FA right around the time Shaq Diesel retires hmmmmmm :man13:
Image
User avatar
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest
 
Posts: 13197
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Where Brooklyn at?

Postby BDG on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:03 pm

swolswol wrote:infact he'll be a FA right around the time Shaq Diesel retires hmmmmmm :man13:

haha... not a bad idea... Kobe and Amare? One-Two punch-- they'll be high-flying and quick.
Image
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
User avatar
BDG
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 40955
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Kobe834 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:44 pm

ahh hell yea!!!that boys good. i'll love to have him on our roster. KObe went ninth in the draft, so did Amare, 9th lucky?
Image
User avatar
Kobe834

 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Lakersfield, CA: 166.6 Miles From Staples

Postby BoogieKnight on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:55 pm

From what I recalled, Kobe was picked 13th.
Image

"You know what we are in Sacramento when it comes to Los Angeles? Whiners.
We excel at "The Crying Game."
And once again, our motto remains: We played, we lost, we b*tched about it."

By Marcos Bretón - Bee Columnist
User avatar
BoogieKnight

 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:02 pm

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:21 pm

Amare is for real.....he is going to be the next BIG thing.....let's look to history to tell is what could happen.

Remember how Shaq was the next BIG thing when he faced up against Hakeem and got his ego handed to him on a silver platter of the Dream Shake N Bake. Shaq wanted to take it to the Dream, but still had many parts of his game to develop. On the flip side, Dream was at his prime and showing the young'n how to get it done. The same can be seen in last year's playoff matchup between the Suns and the Spurs. Amare faced Duncan who is clearly at his prime. Duncan dominated him, but Amare still demanded for the ball and would challenge Duncan to react to how he wanted to play. I remember countless dunks on Duncan, but I also do remember how Duncan shut him down when the game was in its critical stages.

Well all I have to say is look at Shaq now.....and if history has its way of repeating itself.....Hack-A-mare will be the next catch phrase and teams will have fits in facing Phoenix :man3: Only time will tell...and this kid has plenty of it. They don't call him a Man-Child for nothing.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13028
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Postby Kobe834 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:18 pm

From what I recalled, Kobe was picked 13th

oh yea, i guess i forgot. :man7:
Image
User avatar
Kobe834

 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: Lakersfield, CA: 166.6 Miles From Staples

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:22 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Amare is for real.....he is going to be the next BIG thing.....let's look to history to tell is what could happen.

Remember how Shaq was the next BIG thing when he faced up against Hakeem and got his ego handed to him on a silver platter of the Dream Shake N Bake. Shaq wanted to take it to the Dream, but still had many parts of his game to develop. On the flip side, Dream was at his prime and showing the young'n how to get it done. The same can be seen in last year's playoff matchup between the Suns and the Spurs. Amare faced Duncan who is clearly at his prime. Duncan dominated him, but Amare still demanded for the ball and would challenge Duncan to react to how he wanted to play. I remember countless dunks on Duncan, but I also do remember how Duncan shut him down when the game was in its critical stages.

Well all I have to say is look at Shaq now.....and if history has its way of repeating itself.....Hack-A-mare will be the next catch phrase and teams will have fits in facing Phoenix :man3: Only time will tell...and this kid has plenty of it. They don't call him a Man-Child for nothing.


you make a GREAT point. I remember how Shaq was man handled by both Ewing and Hakeem, but that only taught him how to be the man he is now...DOMINANT! Duncan, KG, Webber, all these Power Forwards that are established will show Amare the ropes, and then he'll learn from them and develop quickly jus like duncan did! I say when he hits his prime, he'll be around the 21ppg and 12 rpg and about 2.5 bpg! Watch out for the suns, they have a bright future with Stephon, Shawn and Stoudemire, the 3 S's! And if the suns can get rid of Penny, they can prolly sign a big name FA soon!
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11758
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA

Postby rydjorker121 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:41 pm

yup, Amare created a lot of hype when he first landed in the league. Don't forget, he was drafted #9 and seems to be progressing at a faster rate than all those draft picks before (Tskitishvili, Hilario for example). He was a lucky Cyprus Creek high skoo product. That's why the NBA GMs, unless they already have loads of talent already, don't like drafting high schoolers--it's like taking a risk--loads of potential or unwashed potential. Kobe, T-Mac,Jermaine, and now Amare--high skoolers are really the fad! Amares' gonna be a bad boy one day--yup. He's a master dunker, athletic and defensive. He's got that baby fat, one-on-one skills and rebounds. He's qualified to be a star, if not next year. Funny thing was--the Clips could have taken him at before, but they took Chris Wilcox instead. Chris Wilcox? We could bring Amare to LA, and they draft another sore loser? Plz, this is getting frustrating watching the CLips draft flukes each and every year. They need to change. Amare would have been the solution as PF (hopefully Brand could play small forward). This man's good, he's got tha skills, what will we see next?
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff
 
Posts: 7029
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:10 pm

rydjorker121 wrote:yup, Amare created a lot of hype when he first landed in the league. Don't forget, he was drafted #9 and seems to be progressing at a faster rate than all those draft picks before (Tskitishvili, Hilario for example). He was a lucky Cyprus Creek high skoo product. That's why the NBA GMs, unless they already have loads of talent already, don't like drafting high schoolers--it's like taking a risk--loads of potential or unwashed potential. Kobe, T-Mac,Jermaine, and now Amare--high skoolers are really the fad! Amares' gonna be a bad boy one day--yup. He's a master dunker, athletic and defensive. He's got that baby fat, one-on-one skills and rebounds. He's qualified to be a star, if not next year. Funny thing was--the Clips could have taken him at before, but they took Chris Wilcox instead. Chris Wilcox? We could bring Amare to LA, and they draft another sore loser? Plz, this is getting frustrating watching the CLips draft flukes each and every year. They need to change. Amare would have been the solution as PF (hopefully Brand could play small forward). This man's good, he's got tha skills, what will we see next?


yup, wilcox and ely last year, kaman this year! Actually wilcox and ely havent gotten much of a chance but they will do better this year, but they shoudla drafted TJ FORD WHEN THEY HAD THE CHANCE!!!!!!
User avatar
FabFourLakers

 
Posts: 11758
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: Irvine, CA


Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.