Andray Blatche re-uos with Nets

Andray Blatche re-uos with Nets

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 am

Andray Blatche Wants To Re-Sign With Nets

By Stefan Bondy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 6:32 PM

Andray Blatche has the greatest of expectations for himself and the Nets. But that's only for this season.

In an interview with the Daily News, the Nets center said he'd like to re-sign as a free agent next summer but understandably couldn't commit to anything so early in the season.

So when will he discuss free agency?

"Talk to me after the playoffs," he said. "I mean, after we win the championship."

Blatche, who will be an unrestricted free agent in July (assuming the Nets guarantee his contract before the Jan. 10 deadline), is in a unique situation. The 26-year-old, who cannot sign an extension under the CBA rules, is getting paid about $23 million by the Wizards over three seasons because he was waived last summer via the amnesty clause.

Whatever figure he earns in the first two years of his next contract will go to Washington, unless it exceeds the nearly $8 million per year he got from the Wizards (very unlikely scenario). Blatche has publicly derided the Wizards for how they handled him during his final season, so saving owner Ted Leonsis money probably isn't a priority.

Blatche's high production has been an unexpected bonus this season. He's averaging 10.6 points and 6.1 rebounds in 17 games, demonstrating that motivation and fitness can rejuvenate a sagging body and career. The Nets (11-6), losers of two straight going into Friday's game against the Warriors, will continue to start Blatche at center with Brook Lopez sidelined because of a foot sprain.

Lopez, who has missed three games and counting, was spotted limping around the Barclays Center before Tuesday's loss to the Thunder, with a walking boot resting beside his locker. He's unlikely to play Friday or next week.

But the Nets have Blatche, an upgrade over last season's center backups — all of whom are either retired, out of the league or unable to get off the inactive list.

"There's no reason not to want to come back," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1214246
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobe8Fan

Nets, Warriors and Clippers Interested In Andray Blatche

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Nets, Warriors and Clippers Interested In Andray Blatche

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 18m

Sources: in addition to Nets, Clippers and Warriors showing interest in Andray Blatche

https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/sta ... 0645629952
Kobe8Fan

Re: Nets, Warriors and Clippers Interested In Andray Blatche

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1h
As @PeterVecsey1 & @HowardBeckNYT reported, Andray Blatche to return to the Nets. I'm told it's one-year, $1.4 million deal.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Re: Andray Blatche re-uos with Nets

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:14 am

Is that the minimum? He must have had better offers than that? He must like Brooklyn.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 am

therealdeal wrote:Is that the minimum? He must have had better offers than that? He must like Brooklyn.

I think I read somewhere that he gets his bird rights or early bird rights next season. That means a nice pay raise, if he keeps his head on straight and plays well on the court.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

therealdeal wrote:Is that the minimum? He must have had better offers than that? He must like Brooklyn.

Basically, he is still receiving his amnesty payments from the Wizards, so he's not short on cash. By signing for $1.4 mill with BKN, he only loses about $20 000 (because of the off-seting formula for amnesty payments) from not signing for, say, $3 million with a team that will give him the mini-MLE. 20K is not much to these guys. Also, by signing the shorter-term deal, he is free to sign a longer-term deal when the amnesty payments are complete. Next year will be the time to sign a longer-term deal with BKN. By staying with the Nets, they are able to retain his early birds rights, meaning they can sign him over the salary cap. Their massive payroll won't prevent them from giving him a decent deal. Since the Nets piss and s*** money, they will most likely pay Blatche a respectable amount next time, assuming he continues to play well this year.

And it also helps the Nets, too, because by having Blatche available to be signed with early birds rights, it means BKN can use the mini-MLE on some other player, if they want to add someone (would cost them $15 mill to add someone for mini-MLE after luxury tax :freak2: ). So, everybody wins, except the Wizards :man10:.
Last edited by v1n5anity on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
v1n5anity

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks fellas. Interesting stuff.

Well I think that's the first really good move the Nets made this summer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:19 am

Really nice move for the Nets, they're really starting to become a force in the East and hopefully a team that can dethrone Miami.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 am

I may be in the minority here, but I think the Heat go down this season with an injury or something and they don't compete for a Championship. 3 Finals in a row and they had to go to 7 games to get it. They're clearly tired. Wade is running on one wheel at this point and Bosh has been pushed so far back from the front, I'm not sure he comes back out again.

I think the team out of the East next season is Chicago.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:29 am

That could very well be the case, there's a reason why no team has reached 4 consecutive finals since those 80s Celtics teams. Even if the Heat are healthy next season I think it'll be a much tougher run. The Bulls look ready to make a big return with Rose, the Pacers are one year better along with the signing of Watson and Granger returning, then there's this new Nets team that barring any serious injury should be difficult to stop for Miami with their inside presence. Hell, maybe the Wizards can work some magic and come out on top :man10: , but either way I don't see Miami winning it again next season.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am

I don't know about the Wizards. :man10:

But the others I agree. I don't know that Miami falls off completely, but I think their time is coming to an end here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby v1n5anity on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know about the Wizards. :man10:

But the others I agree. I don't know that Miami falls off completely, but I think their time is coming to an end here.

I agree. I just wish their time ended in game 6. Still can't believe that choke by Spurs :disagree: .
v1n5anity

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Should be fun seeing him and KG on the same team now. :man10: If you don't recall...

Slam Online wrote:Leave KG alone, ‘Dray. As the WaPo details, that dude is crazy Just ask Big Baby: “Saunders said the Wizards looked ‘discombobulated’ down the stretch, even failing to be in the right position after timeouts. He also was upset with Blatche for engaging in some fourth-quarter in trash talk with Garnett, which helped turn the game in the Celtics’ favor. ‘We beat ourselves by getting them energized, which got their crowd energized,’ Saunders said. ‘Dray is wolfing the whole time at Kevin Garnett. You can’t do those kinds of things. When you’re coming up and establishing yourself, you don’t take a guy that’s been defensive player of the year and is probably the best power forward and get that guy juiced up to play against you. You got no chance.’ Blatche was noticeably upset and appeared to hold back tears as he explained his encounter with Garnett, which nearly got heated when Garnett approached Blatche and tried to wrestle the ball away from him. Blatche appeared to throw an elbow as Garnett continued to taunt him. Blatche later flung Garnett into a cameraman and sent him to the foul line for two free throws. Garnett smiled as he was helped off the ground. Reserve forward James Singleton said Garnett used his ‘veteran senses’ to needle Blatche and get under his skin.”

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby jimbo327 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Andray, you need to fire your agent, if you suck next year.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Return to NBA Discussion