Bynum Discussion

Re: ANDREW BYNUM APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby Juronimo on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Young Drew was the only bright spot of that abortion of a disgrace that happened last night.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Drews footwork and moves have taken a quantum leap he is looking so smooth and aggressive.........LOVE IT
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Sirron on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Drews footwork and moves have taken a quantum leap he is looking so smooth and aggressive.........LOVE IT
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:16 pm

somebody get this kid into the allstar game!!!! he is getting his swagger back from last year and is showing that he can be a dominant force in the paint on both ends of the floor.
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:27 pm

crazylakerfanforlife wrote:somebody get this kid into the allstar game!!!! he is getting his swagger back from last year and is showing that he can be a dominant force in the paint on both ends of the floor.

He really doesn't deserve to be this year because of the way he played all season. He plays like this next year he will be a lock for the ASG.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:39 pm

I don't know what happened to him, really... but this is an all-star player. A big-time star in this league. Just insane.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Something just clicked with him, that Clippers game was a breakout game. His footwork is great, as mentioned, and he's using lots of fakes and jukes, using the things Kareem has taught him no doubt. He's just playing like he belongs right now, blocking shots, not rushing or out of control on offense, rebounding, just good stuff.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Props to Drew, he looked freaking unstoppable out there tonight.

He was so good, the rest of the team just cruised through the game.
kray28

Postby 10scott10 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 pm

drew is really starting to look unstoppable.

he is definitly showing that he will be able to carry the team when he becomes the focal point

also, who do drew's game remind you the most of? I really can't see any very distinctive single style in his game
10scott10

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 pm

The only thing I fault Drew on is his position defense. Had Jefferson been in check, while Drew posted his offensive numbers, then the kid would be beastin' it. But till that happens, Drew still has to keep developing as a player. He still has a bit to go before we can dub him Andrew Byeast'em.

Of course, his help defense is amazing, but I still want to see his position defense improve (locking down the defensive boards and making the opposing center be less efficient offensively).

When this kid peaks, LA should have yet another HOF center on their hands. :vasashi:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 10scott10 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:03 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:The only thing I fault Drew on is his position defense. Had Jefferson been in check, while Drew posted his offensive numbers, then the kid would be beastin' it. But till that happens, Drew still has to keep developing as a player. He still has a bit to go before we can dub him Andrew Byeast'em.

Of course, his help defense is amazing, but I still want to see his position defense improve (locking down the defensive boards and making the opposing center be less efficient offensively).

When this kid peaks, LA should have yet another HOF center on their hands. :vasashi:

Jefferson did get a lot of his points off of gasol, I would say.

he was also cheated out of atleast 2 or 3 more blocks
10scott10

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm

^^^ I agree with you scott10, but I would like Drew to take on the assignment enthusiastically, like he did with Duncan. Once he gets that assassin mentality that Kobe has (in shutting down his personal assignment) then I feel comfortable in saying that Drew has arrived. Stats really don't mean much to me...its the mentality. Drew already is really humble and seems level headed. When he develops his confidence (but demonstrating in the right way of course), then I'm sure he's going to be really special, in terms of our long line of legendary centers.

But I'm not ignoring how young he is, or how much more he will still develop. For where he is now, I'm completely content. But I'm also anxious to see where this kid can go and where he can take the Lakers.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Jefferson shot below 50% despite getting a lot of easy looks against Pau. And that was with hardly any doubles while Drew was in the game. When a C shoots below 50% then I'm not complaining.
Last edited by revgen on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Helljumper on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

His play has been absolutely amazing lately. I just hope he can keep up something similar for the rest of the year.
Helljumper

Postby Samarian on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Bynum is truely gifted... If he would have played the Garbage time that Al Jefferson played im sure he would have outscored him.
Can't stop, Won't stop chingy and dem gunnaz cause we, we get down baby we get down, girls them girls they love us.
Samarian

Postby knm131 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:The only thing I fault Drew on is his position defense. Had Jefferson been in check, while Drew posted his offensive numbers, then the kid would be beastin' it. But till that happens, Drew still has to keep developing as a player. He still has a bit to go before we can dub him Andrew Byeast'em.

Vash, when Bynum was finally taken off of Jefferson, AJ was 5-15 from the field. Then Gasol guarded him and scored most of his points against Gasol, save for a couple baskets in the 4th when it was all but over.
knm131

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Jefferson didn't score many points on Bynum. Bynum did a superb job on defense blocking and altering shots. He was our best defender tonight and he almost scored at will on Jefferson.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:42 pm

10scott10 wrote:drew is really starting to look unstoppable.

he is definitly showing that he will be able to carry the team when he becomes the focal point

also, who do drew's game remind you the most of? I really can't see any very distinctive single style in his game

He reminds me of a young Tim Duncan, but one that is a longer, which is a scary prospect for the rest of the league.
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby 10scott10 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:45 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
10scott10 wrote:drew is really starting to look unstoppable.

He reminds me of a young Tim Duncan, but one that is a longer, which is a scary prospect for the rest of the league.

I agree, but he is so much more athletic, but he doesn't really rely on his face up game like duncan did
10scott10

Postby borri on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:48 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:

Jefferson didn't score many points on Bynum. Bynum did a superb job on defense blocking and altering shots. He was our best defender tonight and he almost scored at will on Jefferson.

You are indeed correct. When Bynum was in the game and guarding AL...AL was 8/21 -- 22pts.

4th quarter til about 2 minutes left when Bynum returned....Pau was guarding AL....Pau was lit up like a christmas tree. AL went 5/6 --- 12 pts.

That spurt against Pau in the 4th made his stat line look a respectable 13/27--34 pts.

Bynum was a BEAST tonight. No ifs ands or buts about it. :jam2: :bow:
borri

Postby UncLaker on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:11 am

Holy smokes did someone say all-star.....did I hear HoF.... Wat next greatest in Laker history!! When AB has a bad game he shud be traded and we need to go in a differnt direction.He is playing well but to hype him up to HoF and All STar status is just funny.
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby GoatMilk16 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 am

I'm loving Bynum on offense. He's getting deep position and showing off his moves. he has some of the best post moves for a Center in the League, and he's only 21! yikes

I'm more impressed with him defensively though. He's grabbing boards, getting blocks, and changing a ton of shots. He's also staying out of foul trouble. And I love when he gets a block and runs really hard down court so he could get the ball and score. I love his enthusiasm! keep it up Drew!
GoatMilk16

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:36 am

UncLaker wrote:Holy smokes did someone say all-star.....did I hear HoF.... Wat next greatest in Laker history!! When AB has a bad game he shud be traded and we need to go in a differnt direction.He is playing well but to hype him up to HoF and All STar status is just funny.

Trade him?? hehehe What you are saying is truly funny. It doesn't seem like you've been watching his development lately. The kid has taken over the joint. He just took Duncan, Okafor and Jefferson for ride and he's only 21. This guy is a top 3 center in the league within one year. JVG said that he would vote Bynum as an All Star this year.
ShaqDieselLaker

Postby GoatMilk16 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 am

but Van Gundy was being a comedian
He said that there is no legit Center in the East who would be good enough to be an all-star. he said since bynum was born in NJ, he should be an all-star
GoatMilk16

Postby GinoDB on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:15 am

I got a nickname for him

"The Problem"

since there is "the answer" , I think this could work

if you are a center down in the box, and you got Bynum trying to score on you

then you have a problem

it can also be changed to "The Big Problem"

il admit its kinda lame, but its hard to think of a nickname for him
GinoDB

PreviousNext