Bynum Discussion

Re: Andrew Bynum Discussion

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:44 pm

not a great look to go with when you're about to become one of the leaders of your new team
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Re: Drew Out 3 Weeks With Knee

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:NOW he can use the handicapped parking spots

:man10: :man10: :man10: :bow:
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby kobe_008 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:10 pm

kenzo wrote::man4: Shocker

lol :bang:
kobe_008

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm

basketboy wrote:thread titles like this used to scare the crap outta me

Those were the days. :man1:
XXIV

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:The student returns to his sensei.

:man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Drew really needs to get rid of that fro, or at the very least give some sort of shape to it. Why is it that most athletes tend to go down hill once they leave the Lakers? :man10:
XXIV

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm

That fro looks down right turrable.

The only guy who should be rocking a fro is :turiaf:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GNC on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:02 am

I agree with everyone else.. that fro has to go.
GNC

Postby ben_ready on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 am

Rock that fro brotha, the Kobe mini fro is back, hopefully drew will grow it out to the old dr j length before he went corporate yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am

basketboy wrote:thread titles like this used to scare the crap outta me

Yep. But now...... :sing: it's just not our problem any more

Mitch....always Mitch with the WAND :bow: :bow: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am

Kasumi wrote:
KB&AB wrote:Asked if he should have opted to have had the procedure done earlier, Bynum said he was told by the physician who performed the procedure, Peter Wehling, that it was best to have the procedure done right before training camp.

Did he ask the same physician who did Shaq's big toe? Because anyone that tells you to get a reparative procedure done without giving your body time to heal is an idiot.

^^ Good one. A doctor who's down with recovering on "company time?" :man10:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Kasumi wrote:
KB&AB wrote:Asked if he should have opted to have had the procedure done earlier, Bynum said he was told by the physician who performed the procedure, Peter Wehling, that it was best to have the procedure done right before training camp.

Did he ask the same physician who did Shaq's big toe? Because anyone that tells you to get a reparative procedure done without giving your body time to heal is an idiot.

^^ Good one. A doctor who's down with recovering on "company time?" :man10:

Well, he's the same doctor Kobe went to for his knee, so...
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

Yes, but Kobe didn't have his surgery done right before the season. If he had, we'd all be upset right now. If I was Philadelphia I'd be upset right now.

I know it's precautionary but still. This is a poor first impression.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:39 am

If the doctor really did advise this, what's the reasoning behind it? I cant think of a reason why.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby gill on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

Sorry Sixers fans, no refunds!
gill

Postby OX1947 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I think the history of Bynum's knees is more of the issue. He is going to sit for 3 weeks of training camp, he is still slated to start the regular season.
OX1947

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Speaking of Bynum, he looks to be in great condition. He’s trim. He’s engaging his teammates and coaches. And if they were playing games right now, Bynum would be out there.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/Good-to-believe-in-Bynum.html
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 pm

^Great news. I wish the best for Drew. If he can put up 20 & 10 this year for that team, they have a chance to suprise some people.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^Great news. I wish the best for Drew. If he can put up 20 & 10 this year for that team, they have a chance to suprise some people.

If he stays healthy he'll put 20 & 10 easily. I expect him to have great conditioning by the ASG and then play even better.
kenzo

Postby KB&AB on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm

PHILADELPHIA — Andrew Bynum believes he’s on course to play in the 76ers’ Oct. 31 regular-season opener.

Bynum, who has sat out the first week of an expected three weeks to rest his knees, told reporters Monday that he’s making progress and the opener remains his target date.
If he was in this situation and it’s the middle of the season instead of training camp and "if all the things were on the table, I’d be out there (playing),” he said.

The 7-foot Bynum, acquired from the Lakers in the Dwight Howard/Andre Iguodala trade, admits it’s difficult to be on the sidelines watching the Sixers go through drills and scrimmages.

“It’s tough,” said Bynum, speaking to the media for the first time in a week. “It’s a new team, too. It’d be different if we were still in LA (where he played for seven years). I don’t know my teammates or their games all that well.”

From what he has observed, Bynum thinks the Sixers “can shoot the heck out of the ball. We have a lot of shooters out here. The offense is looking really good, to be honest. Defensively, we’ve got a lot of work to do. That’s kind of natural.”

Sixers coach Doug Collins, who plans to start Spencer Hawes and Bynum together in the frontcourt, said he is anxious to get Bynum on the court.

“I’d love to get seven full days with him (after the preseason ends and prior to Oct. 31),” Collins said. “Andrew is out there on the floor, spinning. He’s happier. He’s getting closer (to playing).”

The Sixers begin the preseason Thursday in Orlando.
In other Sixers news, third-year swingman Evan Turner, who is now a starter, said that he's “really been off for two years. Fitting in takes its toll on your game.”

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/sixer ... dc98f.html
I think Collins is a good coach. Bynum was not happy with Phil or Brown. So i think Andrew will develop a good relationship with Coach Collins. They will work very well together.
KB&AB

Postby KB&AB on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Andrew Bynum has yet to step on the court for the Sixers but he is still the focal point of this team. Bynum left Monday’s morning practice session with a DVD of the offense so that he could go home and study. Still, he knows to truly get acclimated to his teammates he needs to participate.

“That’s just rudimentary,” Bynum said. “You have to get up and down in practice ... you can’t just go play an NBA game. I would want that for myself. “

Bynum went on to say that you need practice in order to play the game well, a comment in striking contrast to that of a former Sixers superstar who couldn’t believe we would waste time actually discussing practice.

That was the Allen Iverson era; this era of Sixers basketball will belong to Bynum, so long as he has good health.

“I feel pretty good and I am definitely getting better,” Bynum said. "I just really have been trying to get down the offense because it is brand new.”

The goal is still the same as last Monday, when the team announced that, for precautionary reasons, Bynum would have no basketball activity for three weeks. Bynum is resting in an effort to help a bone bruise in his knee heal and allow the Orthokine procedure he had done to take full effect.

“I think if all the beans were on the table, I would be out there,” Bynum said, to help define the status of his injury.

One thing that Bynum has been able to develop the first week of camp is a positive relationship with Doug Collins.

“I feel like he really understands being a player,” Bynum said. “He gives a lot of rest to make sure no one gets hurt and that everyone is in tip-top shape. Offensively, he is putting in a lot of different things so he’s had to help guys keep their minds into practice and staying prepared.

“Off the court, we have had a bunch of conversations,” Bynum continued. “He has told me what he expects from me and that he always has an open door and that is the best thing you want from a coach.”

A positive relationship between star player and head coach is vital to a team’s success. Larry Brown and Iverson taught us that. Their working relationship was often tumultuous. They worked through their differences frequently in public but ultimately, together, led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA Finals.

Getting back to the NBA Finals is the path the franchise is hoping to travel in the near future. Talent and communication are the cornerstones of that process.

“He’s happier,” Collins said of Bynum’s mood. “He senses he is getting closer to play. Anybody who has ever been injured, especially going to a new team where so much is expected and you can’t get out there and play, it’s a downer. You see his energy level and he has worked his tail off.”

Hard work has been the theme of this camp with stiff competition across the board. That competition led Collins to assign homework Monday. Each player received a blank card from him and on it they are to write what role they think they should play on this team.

“I want to make sure what I am thinking and what you are thinking are in conjunction with one another,” Collins explained to his players of why he was giving the assignment. “It will be interesting to see how guys assess themselves after a week.”

“I don’t know yet, but I have been thinking about it,” Bynum said of what he will write. “I think it is going to be a pretty long one, that is all I know.”

Bynum thinks the role cards are important, especially on a team that has so much competition virtually at every position. That was one observation he had of his new teammates. The other was that this team is able to put the ball in the basket.

“We can shoot the heck out of the ball,” he stressed. “We have a lot of shooters out here. The offense is looking really good, to be honest. Defensively we have a lot of work but that is kind of natural.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-phi ... feedID=694
KB&AB

Postby 24K GOLD on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Howard Eskin: Bynum’s Injury Perhaps More Serious Than Sixers Indicate

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Andrew Bynum will miss all of Sixers training camp, and will likely not see any playing time during preseason games as he rests his knees. According to the team, Bynum not playing is a precautionary measure “in order to maximize the therapeutic effects of the Orthokine therapy he received earlier this month.”

The Sixers did also say that Bynum was “diagnosed with a bone bruise of the medial femoral chondyle of his right knee.”

94WIP’s Howard Eskin says that he is “getting the sense there is a more serious injury with Andrew Bynum’s knee than the Sixers are telling us. I will go as far as saying I think the Lakers may have given the Sixers damaged goods.”

Bynum did tell Comcast Sportsnet’s Dei Lynam earlier this week, “I feel pretty good and I am definitely getting better. I just really have been trying to get down the offense because it is brand new.”

Bynum’s knee problems have been well documented throughout his career, but he managed to remain healthy for most of the 2011-12 season for the Lakers.

The Sixers play their first preseason game, sans Bynum, Thursday night in Orlando against the Magic.

Uh-oh...
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby XXIV on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Last I heard he was still expected to play in the opener. Would be terrible news for Sixer fans if the knee does indeed hold him out longer.I hope he recovers soon.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 pm

94WIP’s Howard Eskin says that he is “getting the sense there is a more serious injury with Andrew Bynum’s knee than the Sixers are telling us. I will go as far as saying I think the Lakers may have given the Sixers damaged goods.”

No offense Eskin, but you knew what you were paying for. The Lakers never pretended Bynum wasn't prone to injury and he passed all the 76ers' physicals so that's not our fault.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 pm

94WIP’s Howard Eskin says that he is “getting the sense there is a more serious injury with Andrew Bynum’s knee than the Sixers are telling us. I will go as far as saying I think the Lakers may have given the Sixers damaged goods.

sorry..no refunds
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion