Bynum Discussion

Re: Andrew Bynum Discussion

Postby revgen on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 am

While I respect Wright's opinion, I'd rather they'd ask Kwame or one of the other big men about what they think of Drew vs Dwight. They actually had to guard them.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:ESPN likes Bynum.......jumped to number 13 on the NBA rankings list, up 17 spots from 30 last year.

Few players averaged 19ppg, 12rpg and 2 blks last season, so he deserves to be in the top 20. Whether he should be at #13 is debatable. Especially when he's ahead of guys like Nash and Parker.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Barkley questions if Bynum can be the man for Sixers

JORDAN HALL

When the Sixers acquired Andrew Bynum, the city of Philadelphia celebrated the arrival of a big man who instantly became labeled as the best center in the Eastern Conference — and more notably, the face of the Sixers' franchise.

If true, both are firsts for the 24-year-old Bynum.

Heading into his first go-around with the Sixers, things will be different for the 7-footer compared to his days in Los Angeles. As a Laker, Bynum was not the man — that was clearly Kobe Bryant. He wasn't the go-to force the Sixers are expecting him to be, and he may have even played third-fiddle to Pau Gasol.

And now that he's been thrust into a leading role with the Sixers, in a sports-crazed city, it's elicited skepticism from TNT analyst and ex-Sixer Charles Barkley.

"When you go from being a role player to a star, [things change]. He’s never been the best player on his team — you’re a role player,” Barkley said in an interview on NBA.com. "I’m not sure he’s been the second-best player on his team before. It’s debatable between him and Pau Gasol. So, he goes from being the third-best player on his team to being the man. The level of intensity that that takes, the level of pressure that brings, and you compound that by Philadelphia — it’s going to be a very interesting season for Andrew Bynum.”

In 2011-12, Bynum averaged 18.7 points per game — second to Bryant — and a team-best 11.8 rebounds, compared to averages of 17.4 and 10.4 by Gasol.

“I like Andrew Bynum. I think he’s a very good player,” Barkley said. “But the stress level he’s going to come upon now is going to be totally different than anything he’s experienced in his NBA career.”

Sam Amico of FOXSports.com posed this question as the biggest for the Sixers’ 2011-12 season:

“Is Andrew Bynum capable of staying focused enough to turn into the future Hall-of-Famer the 76ers plan on him becoming in the low post?”

Barkley offered his three most glaring concerns, all of which revolved around Bynum.

“Can Andrew Bynum be the man? That’s the first question,” Barkley said. “Second question: How [are] him and Doug Collins gonna get together? And the third one is: What do you do with his financial situation?”

And before the Sixers commit their future around Bynum, Barkley believes they should wait and see how their new star performs on center stage.

“I want to see how he’s going to handle the pressure in Philly,” Barkley said. “How him and Doug Collins are going to react — those are legitimate concerns.”

E-mail Jordan Hall at jhall@comcastsportsnet.com.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/sixers-talk/Barkley-questions-if-Bynum-can-be-the-ma?blockID=780425&feedID=694

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby The Rock on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 am

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/09/29/haney-has-bright-ideas-for-new-abl/wGVPQdm2wDyMAE6fTve0rI/story.html

In tutoring Bynum, Abdul-Jabbar said, his lower level of experience when entering the NBA hindered his chances of refining his post game, despite his size and skills.

“Andrew only played two years of high school ball and he didn’t finish either year,” Abdul-Jabbar said. “So he had a lot to learn.

“Andrew’s a nice kid — I am not knocking him — but if I was 21 or 22 and signed a contract for $50 million, I might be affected by it, too. He’s not passionate about the game; that’s a great word. But he does like getting paid. So that’s where I think you can figure out what’s going on with him.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am

^ Can't say I'm really surprised. You can tell he's not exactly in love with the sport itself like some other players, but then again a lot of us have jobs that we don't necessarily enjoy but do it anyways because of the money.
XXIV

Postby revgen on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am

A player has to have some passion for the game to play on a swollen limb like Bynum did in 2010. IIRC that wasn't a contract year, so "getting paid" didn't have much to do with it. Bynum may not be as dedicated to the game as Kobe or Cap, but few players are. That's why Kobe and Cap are the GOAT's of their generation.

I'm very interested to see how Bynum responds to Cap's comments. He did a good job of it during the Philly press conference by taking the high road and complementing Kareem.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:18 pm

The uninterested attitude may be more prevalent with 7-footers who come to the game later, like Olowakandi and Bynum. They were convinced to join the nba because of their size, not their skills. Any other guy of any other size is going to have to develop his game to a high level just to get into the league.

Thing is, Bynum has a lot of talent, and if he decides to develop it, and stays healthy, he can be one of the greats. Last year in the playoffs it seemed like he was frustrated at not being the man, frustrated with the coach, and frustrated with the no-calls. I hope the new coach, and new team where he's the man really motivates him.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Drew Has Done Additional Damage To His Knees By Bowling

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 am

Drew Out 3 Weeks With Knee

Tom Moore ‏@tmoorepburbs

#sixers Bynum out 3 weeks with knee.

Tom Moore ‏@tmoorepburbs

Bynum to sit out 3 weeks as precautionary measure, according to team. #Sixers

https://twitter.com/tmoorepburbs/status ... 0029722624
Last edited by Kobe8Fan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kobe8Fan

Re: Drew Out 3 Weeks With Knee

Postby JSM on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 am

Not exactly the best first impression to give Philly. Dwight might be back to action before Drew.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am

:man4: Shocker
kenzo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 am

Hopefully, it is just a precaution and he's ready to roll by the start of the season. I do wish the best for Drew; his knees were always a concern for me, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 am

And so it begins...... in Philly that is haha.

idk, part of me is sort of glad I don't have to sleep with one eye open because I'm concerned about Drew's knees and the injury factor
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 am

Wonder what happened.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am

JSM wrote:Not exactly the best first impression to give Philly. Dwight might be back to action before Drew.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the teeth?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

76ers Will Keep Andrew Bynum Out 3 Weeks

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am

76ers Will Keep Andrew Bynum Out 3 Weeks

Center Andrew Bynum had a full share of injury issues during his time with the Los Angeles Lakers. Will the trend continue now that he’s on the Philadelphia 76ers?

The 76ers announced today that the team will take precautionary measures with center Andrew Bynum and will withhold him from basketball activities for the next three weeks in order to maximize the therapeutic effects of the Orthokine therapy he received earlier this month.

Bynum was examined by Dr. Jack McPhilemy of Main Line Health and was diagnosed with a bone bruise of the medial femoral chondyle of his right knee. During the aforementioned time frame, Bynum will continue participate in low impact conditioning drills.

The team will provide additional updates as they are available and appropriate

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11033
Kobe8Fan

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 am

thats exactly why he got traded. When you need precautionary measures at 24...thats not good.

hopefully he will be fine though.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am

^A bone bruise? It doesn't sound serius. I think he suffered a bone bruise in the game against the Celtics last year if I remember correctly. Not sure if it's the same thing. Anyways, it just sounds like they're taking "precaution," to make sure he doesn't excerbate the injury.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 am

This is the main reason we traded him and took a gamble on Dwight staying with us long term, because you never know when an Andrew Bynum knee is going to give out. Obviously this isn't that , it's a bone bruise and them just being cautious, but I'm saying the fear was always there in the back of a lot of Laker fan's minds.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:45 am

Lakerholicz ‏@Lakerholicz
WTF! RT @JohnxDiaz: Someone get this man a barber. RT @Sixers: Your first look at Andrew Bynum in a #Sixers uniform! pic.twitter.com/YMaDduSo

"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bystander on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 am

Loooove the afro
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 am

Rock the fro!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:06 am

I don't know why, but I feel like the fro makes him look out of shape when I'm sure he's not.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

I still stand by my previous opinion of the fro. Just awful.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 am

He's not out with a bone bruise. He's out recovering from the Orthokine procedure.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am

Weezy wrote:I don't know why, but I feel like the fro makes him look out of shape when I'm sure he's not.

I know why: because it looks kind of dirty and unkept. It's like a guy who needs a haircut, you just feel like he doesn't take as good of care of himself as he should. That's not to say he's not in the gym working out, it just looks like he isn't because he's unkept.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion