Bynum Discussion

Bynum Discussion

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Congrats to big bad Bynum for a great game against Tim Duncan and his career highs this week. Called an All Star by Van Gundy. Jack Ramsay says he has some of the best footwork in the league for a big man. Mark Jackson says the Lakers have their Center for the future. Andrew Bynum has arrived and he's here to stay for a long time.
ImageImage
Last edited by ShaqDieselLaker on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Re: ANDREW BYNUM APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby jOeyB7000 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Check the sig. Join the club.

hopefully he can bring it on a consistent basis.
jOeyB7000

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:19 pm

this is the first one of these??? im amazed...

and WOW! those arms are long
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:39 pm

It's not the first one of these, I know we had a Bynum thread before.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:20 pm

It's funny how he extends those long arms when he is going for the dunk. I don't know if anyone else is doing it quite like that.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:43 pm

karacha wrote:It's funny how he extends those long arms when he is going for the dunk. I don't know if anyone else is doing it quite like that.

I bet it's Kareem. "Play above the rim, big man!".
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:09 am

Once Drew learns to go for the dunk when he has deep position it is over for everyone the kid would be a complete monster. He is like the big guy who hasnt learned he is a big guy yet.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 am

Ya what Drew needs to do is to become a little bit more nasty...foul HARD and go up to dunk everything with authority...if he does that, the sky is the limit for that kid.

I have actually ALWAYS believed in Drew, even before he was a Laker I wanted us to take him with the 10th pick and the only other guy who agreed with me was GameCock at that time...I have never been upset with him untill the stretch where he didn't grab any rebounds....I was upset because I knew he COULD if he wanted to. But he seems to have regained his confidence now and is looking great.

He doesn't need to care about stats...last year he didn't have AMAZING stats (13/10) but he was a definite game changer...an impact player who changed the game for us every time he stepped on the floor...he needs to make himself assertive and do what we need him to do which is to play a powerful game on both ends...Gasol is doing the finesse and we need Andrew to be the missing power in Gasol's game.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Andrew Evenstar on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 am

KB24@CL wrote:Ya what Drew needs to do is to become a little bit more nasty...foul HARD and go up to dunk everything with authority...if he does that, the sky is the limit for that kid.

I have actually ALWAYS believed in Drew, even before he was a Laker I wanted us to take him with the 10th pick and the only other guy who agreed with me was GameCock at that time...I have never been upset with him untill the stretch where he didn't grab any rebounds....I was upset because I knew he COULD if he wanted to. But he seems to have regained his confidence now and is looking great.

He doesn't need to care about stats...last year he didn't have AMAZING stats (13/10) but he was a definite game changer...an impact player who changed the game for us every time he stepped on the floor...he needs to make himself assertive and do what we need him to do which is to play a powerful game on both ends...Gasol is doing the finesse and we need Andrew to be the missing power in Gasol's game.

I wanted Bynum too. I read his description on ESPN.com or another draft website. When we picked him I was happy we did :) Haha and people actually wanted Gerald Green. Even with Granger exceeding and playing well, you do not turn down a 7+ ft with abilities and promise.

We I guess you could go against that with the drafting of MJ. haha.
[The Will To Act] | [My Music Blog]

Born a Laker fan.
Andrew Evenstar

Postby Ryder Havasu on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 am

I'll be honest I wanted Granger, cuz I watched him play. Drew wasn't a known commodity at the time. I didn't hate the pick I just thought Granger would have made a quicker contribution to the team with the roster we had at the time. Well, all I got to say is Andrew was worth the short wait. Granger looks terrific but Drew has shown signs of dominance and as Laker fans we all know what a dominant big means to this franchise. Keep it up Drew!!!!
Black and Gold / Purple and Gold
check out www.myspace.com/theflipnotes
Ryder Havasu

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 am

Mitch used a smoke screen...everybody thought we are going to pick Gerald Green when he dropped...but the guys Mitch was said to be interested in were Channing Frye and Sean May and thank god Frye was taken by NY and we passed on May because Jim Buss wanted to have Bynum by any means necessary.

Portland was also thinking about taking Bynum instead but went with Webster and immdiately called LA to ask for a Bynum trade but Mitch declined...NY also wanted Bynum but evtl. tried the same by picking up Frye and calling the Lakers about a Bynum trade...mitch respectfully declined again...

so at the end we could have taken Granger, Green or Bynum...Granger was the most ready player but his ceiling wasn't all that high...he was said to become a starter but nothing like a star...he has really exceeded all expectations this year...he is a complete beast right now but also about to enter his prime...he is 25 or 26 already....I don't think any player is going to be THAT great when he comes to the NBA with 23+...look at Thornton...yes he has game but he is also almost 26 already as a sophomore...

so we passed on Green and people were upset..what people didn't realize is that the Lakers HAD to gamble...it wasn't enaugh to add just another piece in Granger. We needed talent badly...our team had no talent and we had to somehow get some talent without giving up a lot. So it was a gamble...right now if we end up in a situation like that again with the talent pool we have, you can bet that Mitch and co. would go with a guy like Granger...

I'm still shocked tho that the 2005 draft was one of the DUMBEST...

Bogut going first ahead of Paul and Deron was criminal...Marvin to Atlanta was CRIMINAL...how can you pass on Paul when you desperately need a PG? Felton@5, Webster @6, Vilanueva @7, Frye @8, Ike Diogu @9...are you kidding me? total BS
then it continued with Orlando taking Vazquez @11 and he decided to stay in Spain, Clippers tool Korolew, a total bust with 12,

Sean May, Graham, Antoine Wright, McCants (who immidiately had microfracture surgery) all taken ahead of Granger...after him there were many busts like Green, Julius Hodge (who I liked at that time for our second round pick), Wayne Simien, Johan Petro, ....

that draft had many busts and after some years...

the best players were Paul, Bynum, Deron, Granger and Monta in that order...nobody else was anything special.

I'm still mad we gambled on Wafer when we had a guy like Ellis...and even Blatche was intriguing in my book...also a guy who was worth a gamble was Chris Taft...altho he disappeared quickly...it was inexcusable to not take Ellis who was averaging 40+ in HS and was a near unstoppable force with blazing speed. His weak body and defense were concerns and his playmaking...he was too small to be a SG and not good enaugh a ball handler and passer to be a point. But we all soon found out that he is special with his speed alone.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby CLICKCLICK on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:33 am

hahaha I remember draft day like it was yesterday

OMGBBQ SEAN MAY AND GERALD GREEN ARE STILL AVAILABLE! WTF ANDREW BYNUM? WHO? HUH? WHAT!

CLICKCLICK

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:05 am

Past 4 games: 23.5ppg/11.5rpg/1.3apg/2.3bpg/62.5 FG%/72.7 FT

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby LakerzDQ on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 am

karacha wrote:It's funny how he extends those long arms when he is going for the dunk. I don't know if anyone else is doing it quite like that.

I think it's a bit harder to finish that way. If it was a smaller dude, he'd get blocked more often, but because bynum's so long, extending his arms that way makes it easier for him to get fouled.
LakerzDQ

Postby bystander on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 am

KB24@CL wrote:the best players were Paul, Bynum, Deron, Granger and Monta in that order...nobody else was anything special.

well, Bogut is very good player, not that good and certainly not a n1 pick, but a good player. He is for sure a starter center in the league.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 am

I kind of love that this comes out now when just two weeks ago everyone was [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about how bad he was playing. As I thought, given more opportunities, Andrew absolutely thrives. Now we have two low post threats, with two good passers out of the post, good three point shooters, and the best offense in the league by far.

Take this for instance : Pau Gasol played the fourth quarter garbage time not Andrew. Beautiful example of the faith that I think Phil is going to start showing in Bynum. Not to mention his new confidence means he's going after rebounds with passion, and he's a great man defender, a good help defender... The kid is shining right now. If he'd tried this hard all year, he'd be in the All -Star game and he'd deserve it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

therealdeal wrote:Take this for instance : Pau Gasol played the fourth quarter garbage time not Andrew. Beautiful example of the faith that I think Phil is going to start showing in Bynum. Not to mention his new confidence means he's going after rebounds with passion, and he's a great man defender, a good help defender... The kid is shining right now. If he'd tried this hard all year, he'd be in the All -Star game and he'd deserve it.

Eh, i think that was for Pau to make numbers to his All-Star game case. Let's see if he plays more 4th quarters after the reservers desingnation.

BTW, i think AB should play those quarters, every minute in the game makes a player better. And after last year, he has to caught up.

bystander

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 am

bystander wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Take this for instance : Pau Gasol played the fourth quarter garbage time not Andrew. Beautiful example of the faith that I think Phil is going to start showing in Bynum. Not to mention his new confidence means he's going after rebounds with passion, and he's a great man defender, a good help defender... The kid is shining right now. If he'd tried this hard all year, he'd be in the All -Star game and he'd deserve it.

Eh, i think that was for Pau to make numbers to his All-Star game case. Let's see if he plays more 4th quarters after the reservers desingnation.

BTW, i think AB should play those quarters, every minute in the game makes a player better. And after last year, he has to caught up.

You're right, but I still think it was a show of faith on how well he's been playing lately too.

Good God I hope Gasol makes it, he deserves it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chopper on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 am

I hope there is an appreciation thread for each one of our players cause it means they are playing well.

Great steps forward for Bynum. If he comes into his own, the league better watch out!! The twin tower angle hasn't gotten too much media attention, but it will soon if AB keeps playing well.

It was mentioned by an announcer, but a great sign of AB's potential is his use of two hands, instead of one.
Chopper

Postby bystander on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 am

The good thing about AB is that all the team is looking for him to dominance and they are all willing to make the extra pass for him, including Pau.

That shows respect from your teammates.

bystander

Postby earvinfr on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 am

therealdeal wrote:Take this for instance : Pau Gasol played the fourth quarter garbage time not Andrew

That's just because Phil don't want to make the same mistake of playing young players in the 4th and blow a big lead. I think everytime we'll have a big lead in the 4th, Phil will play at least 1 veteran player who's able to create his own shoot. In this team only Pau and Kobe can. LO is a veteran, but can be a TO machine sometimes, Fish can't create for himself and others are all young players.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:21 am

yea...nice strech of games this week Drew...thx to your effort I won my matchup this week with rebs/blks :bow:
khmrP

Postby TalkieWalkie on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 am

All Bynum needs to do now is quit the whineing after getting called for a foul...then he'll have respect from the refs....
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby jtims3182 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm

26/13.5/3.5 blocks pg on 62% shooting in the last 4 games.

20.3/8.1/2.1 blocks pg on 60% shooting in the last 11 games.
jtims3182

Postby gill on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Bynum did everything he can to win us the 2nd OT. Unfortunately the others were a no show, especially on D. Now he knows how Kobe feels :mhihi:
gill

Next

Return to NBA Discussion