Bynum Discussion

Re: ANDREW BYNUM APPRECIATION THREAD

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 am

also Phil does a horrible job benching Drew whenever he gets going...WTF

Odom was absolutely useless in the first half on both ends and Andrew was on fire and also played D (not many did) and still got yanked several times as the Pacers then immidiately came back...

horrible subs

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby OgLaker101 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 am

we all know what he's capable of. we've seen these type of games from him plenty of times now.

yet we all still wait for some consistency...I know he played consistently before he got injured both times, but whether it be injuries or passion, if he cant stay on the floor he's useless.

we get this bynum for the playoff run and were set. IF
And when its all said and done, Kobe will be the greatest of all time.
OgLaker101

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 am

OgLaker101 wrote:we all know what he's capable of. we've seen these type of games from him plenty of times now.

yet we all still wait for some consistency...I know he played consistently before he got injured both times, but whether it be injuries or passion, if he cant stay on the floor he's useless.

Bynum can only have consistency if his teamates are consistently looking for him.

Also, Bynum needs to have our PF to play like a PF and stop invading his space. Pau has been doing a better job of that since he came back from his 2nd hamstring injury. That helps Bynum, but unfortunately Pau is struggling to shoot his jumper consistently and he's been absolutely horrible at driving to the bucket due to the hamstrings. Until Pau's hamstrings improve, he's basically a 2nd center.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby rock0100 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:26 am

revgen wrote:
OgLaker101 wrote:we all know what he's capable of. we've seen these type of games from him plenty of times now.

Bynum can only have consistency if his teamates are consistently looking for him.

Also, Bynum needs to have our PF to play like a PF and stop invading his space. Pau has been doing a better job of that since he came back from his 2nd hamstring injury. That helps Bynum, but unfortunately Pau is struggling to shoot his jumper consistently and he's been absolutely horrible at driving to the bucket due to the hamstrings. Until Pau's hamstrings improve, he's basically a 2nd center.

Thats the thing. Pau is more of a center then a PF. When Pau plays center our team is much better offensively. That is why Bynum usually goes to the bench late in games.

However, IF Bynum continues to play like he did yesterday then we are completely unstoppable. Thats why I always said bring Bosh, because Bosh brings that intensity 90% of the time as opposed to less then half the time by Bynum.

Yesterday we had 3 guys with over 10 rebounds and there is no reason that it should not be like that more often. It was the best game I have seen our frontcourt play. Granted, it came against a smaller frontcourt but the point is they still hustled.

Bynum played well against Toronto, then he took a night off against Washington, then he plays one of his best games ever against Indiana. He just has to stay consistant with his effort. He has to stop viewing himself as a 3rd or 4th option and start realizing that he is a VERY important piece to a championship team. It doesn't matter if he scores 2 points or 20 points, as long as he does all the other things then he will be credited as he should be.

If Bynum is going to continue his rollercoaster then I say trade him if you can for Bosh. HOWEVER, if he is ready to bring yesterday's type of effort every night regardless of his offensive stats then I say don't even think about trading him. If Bynum plays like the lazy kid that he sometimes seems to play like we might win a couple of more championships with him. If Bynum plays like the dominant center he played like yesterday we WILL win the next 3 championships.
rock0100

Postby Lakers Advocate on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 am

bYNUM is a bum, he wont get any props from me until he plays great against the top teams...i really dont care what he does against the pacers or a injured clippers team.
Lakers Advocate

Postby nameant on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:37 am

Lakers Advocate wrote:bYNUM is a bum, he wont get any props from me until he plays great against the top teams...i really dont care what he does against the pacers or a injured clippers team.

Cool story bro.
nameant

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 pm

nameant wrote:
Lakers Advocate wrote:bYNUM is a bum, he wont get any props from me until he plays great against the top teams...i really dont care what he does against the pacers or a injured clippers team.

Cool story bro.

:man10:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby frankrj on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 pm

hard_wood wrote:
BTW Fish played good last night and tonight. His defense has been superb. The very thing most of you guys say he doesn't have. He's been making some sick steals and outlet passes that turn into scores.

I wish if you bad mouth a Lakers player who is part of our core and then they come back and prove you wrong you get an automatic one day ban.

Nah! he plays well against low totem pole teams and gets punked by the elite teams. he should be banned for those Vlade type flops. Put in dumbo or Brown.

AB had a good game..prolly b/c he made the flight on time and slept early
frankrj

Postby hard_wood on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:
hard_wood wrote:^^^^You guys are the same ones who wanted to trade him for Bosh. :man3:

But at least you see he is playing great. He's been doing that for the last few games but everybody keeps ragging on him none the less.

BTW Fish played good last night and tonight. His defense has been superb. The very thing most of you guys say he doesn't have. He's been making some sick steals and outlet passes that turn into scores.

I wish if you bad mouth a Lakers player who is part of our core and then they come back and prove you wrong you get an automatic one day ban.

Woah woah woah, I can't speak for weezy, but I NEVER said trade him for Bosh, I don't even think I posted in that thread. I like bynum a lot and have said numerous times that he has potential to be a superstar

Sorry bro I didn't really check on you guys to see if you were the ones. I am glad you recognize how valuable Bynum is to the team. I was just referring to all these guys that invariably when some Laker starter goes into a slump they cry for a trade or cry from the rooftops that the sky is falling.
hard_wood

Postby hard_wood on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm

frankrj wrote:
hard_wood wrote:

Nah! he plays well against low totem pole teams and gets punked by the elite teams. he should be banned for those Vlade type flops. Put in dumbo or Brown.

Haha fair enough.
hard_wood

Postby hard_wood on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:24 pm

rock0100 wrote:
revgen wrote:

Thats the thing. Pau is more of a center then a PF. When Pau plays center our team is much better offensively. That is why Bynum usually goes to the bench late in games.

However, IF Bynum continues to play like he did yesterday then we are completely unstoppable. Thats why I always said bring Bosh, because Bosh brings that intensity 90% of the time as opposed to less then half the time by Bynum.

Yesterday we had 3 guys with over 10 rebounds and there is no reason that it should not be like that more often. It was the best game I have seen our frontcourt play. Granted, it came against a smaller frontcourt but the point is they still hustled.

Bynum played well against Toronto, then he took a night off against Washington, then he plays one of his best games ever against Indiana. He just has to stay consistant with his effort. He has to stop viewing himself as a 3rd or 4th option and start realizing that he is a VERY important piece to a championship team. It doesn't matter if he scores 2 points or 20 points, as long as he does all the other things then he will be credited as he should be.

If Bynum is going to continue his rollercoaster then I say trade him if you can for Bosh. HOWEVER, if he is ready to bring yesterday's type of effort every night regardless of his offensive stats then I say don't even think about trading him. If Bynum plays like the lazy kid that he sometimes seems to play like we might win a couple of more championships with him. If Bynum plays like the dominant center he played like yesterday we WILL win the next 3 championships.

We all want consistent effort. One of the things that Kobe said in his interview with Jim Rome yesterday was that Andrew is battling his way through a more minor knee injury right now. He said the team to a man has committed to making improvements in every game. They go over where they were weak and they try to bring it in the next game. He said the improvements are incremental and don't get noticed by people until they hit their stride. At that point people claim that the lakers just "flipped the switch".
hard_wood

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:33 pm

rock0100 wrote:
revgen wrote:

No he's not. When Pau is healthy, he can shoot mid-range jumpers and drive to the bucket like a PF. He also can't guard legit true centers like Hibbert and Shaq.

The offense has more spacing when LO and Pau are on the floor because when both are healthy they can each space the floor for Kobe to drive. Since Kobe is our go-to man down the stretch, Phil prefers to have the best spacing possible. Playing 2 PF's can do that.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby hard_wood on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:50 pm

KB24@CL wrote:also Phil does a horrible job benching Drew whenever he gets going...WTF

Odom was absolutely useless in the first half on both ends and Andrew was on fire and also played D (not many did) and still got yanked several times as the Pacers then immidiately came back...

horrible subs

As good as Drew was Playing Hibert was matching his intensity and was making a lot of his shots. I think PJ was just giving Drew a break cuz Hibert was muscling in the post.
hard_wood

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:03 pm

frankrj wrote:

No, he actually had a good game when he missed the flight and slept in. 21pts, 9rebs, 2blks, with the best FG% of all our starters.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby hard_wood on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

revgen wrote:

I was watching the entire team carefully to validate your claim about his team mates not looking for him and I actually agree to some extent. I now see how several times Kobe or Fish would try to improvise and shoot an ill advised shot with a hand in the face rather than feeding Drew. I believe that is why the ball won't come back out if they pass it to him because he's afraid it won't come back. But I don't believe that Kobe and Fish are a-holes that just don't care. I think they watch the film after each game and they work on those things in practice.
hard_wood

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm

If Bynum plays as aggressively against the Cs this Sunday as he did against the Pacers, then I'll be ecstatic! :jam2:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby TT24 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

^ Sorry, but Drew isn't going to be defended by Murphy/Hibbert Sunday.

Plus, we just need to worry about tomorrow's game.
TT24

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:03 am

^ Didn't say anything about who will defend him - just said that I hope he is as aggressive.

And, yeah, there's a game tomorrow, but I'm sure most fans are also excited about taking on the Cs on Sunday.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby TT24 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 am

^ I'm say that with those guys, he can be aggressive and still score. It's going to be harder against the C's even if he is aggressive.
TT24

Postby KB24 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:18 am

Drew and Gasol will get their arse whipped on Sunday vs. the Smeltics...

they better come out with SOME energy because Perk, Sheed and KG are licking their chops to unleash all those dirty tricks.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:22 am

^ Hopefully those two guys bring the same energy they brought vs. the Cs in both games last year. :jam2:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby KB24 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:31 am

^at some point you would expect them to have a good game against a physical front court...

the Lakers WILL bring the energy...they have been spanked in some big and physical games, they certainly don't want another embarassment...the question is will it be enaugh? I hope so...

gimme the W and I'll take whatever you want.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:37 am

KB24@CL wrote:Drew and Gasol will get their arse whipped on Sunday vs. the Smeltics...

they better come out with SOME energy because Perk, Sheed and KG are licking their chops to unleash all those dirty tricks.

I love the confidence in our guys before the big game. :jam2:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby hard_wood on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:38 am

Weezy wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:Drew and Gasol will get their arse whipped on Sunday vs. the Smeltics...

I love the confidence in our guys before the big game. :jam2:

I was gonna say the same thing. I guess these guys never heard of the saying "Whatever we think about most of the time we tend to manifest in our lives". It's like if you go around repeating "We're going to lose, we're going to lose, we're going to lose" you will end up losing. You hang around a barber shop long enough you end up getting a haircut. We need all Lakers fans to keep positive thoughts. :jam2:
hard_wood

Postby karacha on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 am

Well, as long as our players don't go around thinking they are going to get crushed -- it's all good. I think they believe they can win against anyone. Which they can. Boston has some really tough games. First, they lost against ORL. Then a B2B vs ATL. And the Hawks have their number IMO.

Then they play us.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion