Bynum Discussion

Re: Andrew Bynum Discussion

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Just some anti-Laker sentiment.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Re: Andrew Bynum Discussion

Postby KB&AB on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:36 am

Bynum will destroy Bosh, KG, Hibbert, Lopez, Horford, Amare lol. Can't wait for this NBA season to start!
KB&AB

Another Injection For Drew

Postby Kobe8Fan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 am

Another Injection For Drew

Sixers schedule another injection for Bynum knees...not in Germany... More to come...

https://twitter.com/JmitchInquirer/stat ... 9147572224
Kobe8Fan

Re: Another Injection For Drew (Pg. 2)

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:04 am

Hm...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 am

It's probably that injection he got before the all-star break last season. IIRC he gets that done twice a year as a regular maintenance procedure.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 pm

‏@dlynamCSN

#SixersTalk According to a source close to situation Bynum will undergo a previously scheduled procedure to lubricate his knee joint.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Well, at least it's their problem now...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:52 am

revgen wrote:It's probably that injection he got before the all-star break last season. IIRC he gets that done twice a year as a regular maintenance procedure.

its probably his knees just aren't right.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

KB24 wrote:
revgen wrote:It's probably that injection he got before the all-star break last season. IIRC he gets that done twice a year as a regular maintenance procedure.

its probably his knees just aren't right.

The 76ers claim they're keeping Bynum out for 3 weeks as a "precautionary measure". If they keep him out longer, then I'll agree with you.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:52 am

Well if his knees were "right" he wouldn't need constant monitoring, so I agree already.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 am

After years of patience and support in LA, Drew's gonna find out what life's like in the NBA version of purgatory...Philadephia.

Notice how they're already asking him why he didn't get the procedure done earlier. Drew's going to be a great interview for them though...throw them lotsa red meat.
kray28

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 am

Oh, I mean in general. Bynum's knees will be an issue his entire career.

So that in itself is very important and frightening. Getting injections just to be able to play is pretty serious if you ask me. I'm aware that he might not be specifically injured in this case, but damn...I really hope his knees hold up. He probably needs to lose some weight to reduce the load on his knees.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:27 pm

KB24 wrote:Oh, I mean in general. Bynum's knees will be an issue his entire career.

So that in itself is very important and frightening. Getting injections just to be able to play is pretty serious if you ask me. I'm aware that he might not be specifically injured in this case, but damn...I really hope his knees hold up. He probably needs to lose some weight to reduce the load on his knees.

If we're going by that standard, then Steve Nash has technically had a "bad back" ever since Cuban let him go 8 years ago. He's been doing various maintenance techniques ever since to keep it from giving out on him. It hasn't stopped him from performing.

If Bynum has to perform or undergo certain maintenance techniques to keep his knees in shape to play, then I don't see them as being "bad knees" unless he can't perform.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

^ I think there's a difference between getting an injection in your knee every so often compared to doing yoga and having a training regimen.

A big difference.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ I think there's a difference between getting an injection in your knee every so often compared to doing yoga and having a training regimen.

A big difference.

I don't see it as a big difference. All of the injections that Bynum receives are non-invasive. It's not like surgeons are cutting his knee open. If that were the case, then I can see your point.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:58 pm

revgen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ I think there's a difference between getting an injection in your knee every so often compared to doing yoga and having a training regimen.

A big difference.

I don't see it as a big difference. All of the injections that Bynum receives are non-invasive. It's not like surgeons are cutting his knee open. If that were the case, then I can see your point.

I think we both agree that there is a massive difference from doing yoga and core strength training...

and sticking a needle into your leg.

Those are two totally different things.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:
revgen wrote:

A big difference.

I think we both agree that there is a massive difference from doing yoga and core strength training...

and sticking a needle into your leg.

Those are two totally different things.

Different? Yes. Huge difference? No.

Both are non-invasive maintenance procedures. Not major surgical operations requiring extensive rest and rehabilitation.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:24 pm

rev...

It's a needle with fluid being injected into your knee. It's not ibuprofen or a specific training regimen. It's non invasive because he doesn't require anesthetics and a surgeon, but that doesn't mean it's anything like what Nash does. He still needs a needle full of fluid to lubricate his knees. If this was normal, we'd be hearing about it all over the NBA. This is not normal and it's not good.

This is a bandaid procedure that hides the problem: his knees aren't lubricated. Someone who is on dialysis is hiding their failed kidneys with a "non invasive" procedure, but that's different from the diabetic who changes their eating habits and lifestyle to stay healthy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:38 pm

BTW we aren't just talking about an injection...we are talking about

multiple surgeries on the same knee
multiple injections a year
all sort of protective gear for this entire career
all sort of rest during the summer
all sort of medical treatment and therapy during the season
getting his knee drained a lot of times

Bynum's knee needs constant monitoring 24/7. Sure, if he can play on it, its fine but the fact that every awkward move could ruin his career is always there sadly. Nash does have a bad back but nobody is losing any sleep over it.

I'm sure all NBA players are always hurt and need to get constant treatment to perform at a high level for 10+ years. Everybody has maintenance techniques and therapists.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby purp n gold on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:44 pm

There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:rev...

It's a needle with fluid being injected into your knee. It's not ibuprofen or a specific training regimen. It's non invasive because he doesn't require anesthetics and a surgeon, but that doesn't mean it's anything like what Nash does. He still needs a needle full of fluid to lubricate his knees. If this was normal, we'd be hearing about it all over the NBA. This is not normal and it's not good.

This is a bandaid procedure that hides the problem: his knees aren't lubricated. Someone who is on dialysis is hiding their failed kidneys with a "non invasive" procedure, but that's different from the diabetic who changes their eating habits and lifestyle to stay healthy.

1) Unless you're afraid of needles, I'm not buying your argument. Both are maintenance procedures. The way Nash sits on the floor when he's out of the game to keep his back loose isn't normal either. If we're going to by normalcy (what the majority of players do) rather than practicality (are they performing on the court), then what Bynum is doing isn't normal. But if he's peforming at a high level then I don't see how that matters.

2) Bynum most likely wouldn't need the lubricant if he wasn't playing pro basketball. To compare him to a dialysis patient is a bit over the top.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

1. My fear of needles DOESN'T have any impact on this conversation. The fact of the matter is that one is a man sitting on the ground and one is a man getting a needle to the knee every few months. If you can't see the difference there, then I can't help you.

2. I'm not comparing Drew to a dialysis patient and you know that. I'm comparing his health situation to someone on dialysis. YOU compared Steve Nash's treatment of his back to Drew's treatment of his knees. THAT is over the top since they are EXTREMELY different. Nash doesn't need regular injections to keep his back healthy and he hasn't had multiple surgeries there either. The idea that the two are the same is ludicrous.

What I was saying isn't that hard to grasp: a dialysis patient is reliant on daily care to stay healthy enough to function, care that must be provided from outside help. This is true no matter the situation because their kidneys cannot support their body. Someone who is diabetic, or pre-diabetic, can survive by monitoring their own health and is not necessarily DEPENDENT on outside assistance to stay healthy. They may need it from time to time, but for the most part they can remain healthy by monitoring their blood sugar levels.

The comparison is that Drew NEEDS those injections to stay healthy enough to function in the NBA. Steve Nash DOES NOT need those injections, he needs to monitor his health. I am not saying Drew is reliant on this procedure for his general health, that's stupid. I am saying his reliance on lubricant injections to maintain a high level of performance is a bandaid that is not good for him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 pm

KB24 wrote:BTW we aren't just talking about an injection...we are talking about

multiple surgeries on the same knee
multiple injections a year
all sort of protective gear for this entire career
all sort of rest during the summer
all sort of medical treatment and therapy during the season
getting his knee drained a lot of times

Bynum's knee needs constant monitoring 24/7. Sure, if he can play on it, its fine but the fact that every awkward move could ruin his career is always there sadly. Nash does have a bad back but nobody is losing any sleep over it.

I'm sure all NBA players are always hurt and need to get constant treatment to perform at a high level for 10+ years. Everybody has maintenance techniques and therapists.

1) He hasn't had a major surgery in over two years.
2) Which are non-invasive maintenance procedures that don't prevent him from performing.
3) Which don't prevent him from performing at an all-star and all-nba level.
4) That's what summer is for. To rest the body and work on your skills.
5) See #3.
6) He hasn't had his knee drained in over 2 years now.

Bynum's injury period was from January 2008 (his first major injury) to April 2010 (his last major injury, which he still managed to play through). That's 2 years and 3 months. It's now October 2012. Which means it's been 2 years and 6 months since he's had a major injury. So basically, Bynum's post-injury period has lasted longer than the period in which he suffered major injuries, yet people like yourself are still scared that he may make an "awkward move" and hurt himself despite the fact that he wears a brace that prevents him from doing so?

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

therealdeal wrote:1. My fear of needles DOESN'T have any impact on this conversation. The fact of the matter is that one is a man sitting on the ground and one is a man getting a needle to the knee every few months. If you can't see the difference there, then I can't help you.

2. I'm not comparing Drew to a dialysis patient and you know that. I'm comparing his health situation to someone on dialysis. YOU compared Steve Nash's treatment of his back to Drew's treatment of his knees. THAT is over the top since they are EXTREMELY different. Nash doesn't need regular injections to keep his back healthy and he hasn't had multiple surgeries there either. The idea that the two are the same is ludicrous.

What I was saying isn't that hard to grasp: a dialysis patient is reliant on daily care to stay healthy enough to function, care that must be provided from outside help. This is true no matter the situation because their kidneys cannot support their body. Someone who is diabetic, or pre-diabetic, can survive by monitoring their own health and is not necessarily DEPENDENT on outside assistance to stay healthy. They may need it from time to time, but for the most part they can remain healthy by monitoring their blood sugar levels.

The comparison is that Drew NEEDS those injections to stay healthy enough to function in the NBA. Steve Nash DOES NOT need those injections, he needs to monitor his health. I am not saying Drew is reliant on this procedure for his general health, that's stupid. I am saying his reliance on lubricant injections to maintain a high level of performance is a bandaid that is not good for him.

1) I'm sorry, but I think it does. Otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing it up constantly.

2) The Dialysis comparison is over the top and you know it. Bynum's situation isn't a life and death situation. If you wanted to make an honest comparison, you would have brought up Cortisone shots that football players take to keep the pain under control.

Nash doesn't need injections, but he does have to sit on the floor in awkward positions to keep his back loose. If he hadn't been doing it for eight years, I doubt you would have found that comforting to look at. He's been doing it forever and has performed at a high-level despite it, so nobody cares anymore. If Bynum does the same for eight years most people would probably see his knee injections in the same manner. Well, at least not the ones who don't have a fear of needles anyway.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm

1. You're trying to change the situation by putting the onus on me, it's transparent and it's a poor counter to my argument. A needle in the knee is no where near doing core strength exercises and the mere idea that it is the same is preposterous and I expect better from a smart person like you.

2. I did not say it was a life and death situation. I said the situation of DEPENDANCY is the same and that's not a stretch. Bynum is DEPENDANT on these shots in order to perform. Cortizone is actually an awful comparison; the only similarity being a needle involved. Cortizone is not a treatment, it's pain killer. A workout regimen can be considered a treatment. The shots that Bynum recieves can be considered a treatment. A Cortizone shot does nothing to treat, it only masks pain which in many cases results in further injury.

You keep bringing up my supposed fear of needles, a fear that you fabricated, and it's hilarious. You're doing it because you know the argument you're making sounds ridiculous. If you didn't love Bynum so much, you'd be able to seperate yourself from this and realize that the comparison you're making is just awful.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion