Andrew Goudelock Waived: no longer a Laker (pg 23)

Re: Andrew Gl0ck/G-LOC Discussion Thread

Postby GoldHammish on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Helljumper wrote:
kobe_mamba wrote:
GoldHammish wrote:No need for Arenas when we have his clone on the team already.

its a bit like that huh....i said as much in the gameday thread, his game and situation (late draft pick) makes me think of Gil Arenas and Michael Redd

I'm not saying it's not possible for Gl0ck to become a very good player, but I feel like his situation is more like Boobie Gibson (I think some people mentioned this in the Gameday thread). He's a second round pick whose skill-set is already suited for the NBA perfectly. He's just a flat-out scorer/shooter and because of that, he's been able to make an immediate impact. I don't expect him to improve much more (just because I think that would be setting our expectations too high since after all, he is a second rounder whose only played like 10 games), but at the same time I don't expect him to regress. I think he can be a career 7-10 ppg off the bench.

Over exaggerating aside, I agree completely. He's still lacking the ball handling skills to play the point, but he's undersized for the 2. Not to mention his defense is still shaky. Not to say he can't improve and become a good play in this league, though. From what we've been getting from our bench so far this season, however, his recent play is exactly what we need and if he can keep it up, we won't need to look at Arenas; his current production will hold us over until Blake is able to come back.
GoldHammish

Postby revgen on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm

The Rock wrote:LOL

http://twitter.com/#!/KevinDing/status/164590564099100673

Nickname for @0goudelock that is catching on, according to Kobe: "Mini-Mamba."

I'll stick with Glock.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby lotus on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 pm

We still need a backup shooting guard with experience. Glock played a few games on a team looking for its identity.
lotus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 am

He looks like Obie Trice

G-Lock real name no gimmicks
wcsoldier81

Postby jimbo327 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 am

His ball handling is a bit shaky. He doesn't get the ball low enough, he almost got picked a few times because he's not really a PG. And his defense is still bad. But nobody will care because hey, he can hit a 3. I love his stroke, just perfect. But it is hard to ask a SG/scorer to become a PG, and run an offense where he should pass first. LOL.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 am

Nice stuff from Glock again tonight! :bow:
Lakerjones

Postby John3:16 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:He looks like Obie Trice

G-Lock real name no gimmicks

:jam2:
John3:16

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 am

I'm still not sold. We need consistency. Remember when we all thought Shannon was the perfect role player? Well Goudelock is now on the same track. Let's wait and see how this pans out, but I love what he's bringing lately.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 am

therealdeal wrote:I'm still not sold. We need consistency. Remember when we all thought Shannon was the perfect role player? Well Goudelock is now on the same track. Let's wait and see how this pans out, but I love what he's bringing lately.

Shannon was hot when he was looking good. Goudelock looks cool as a cucumber. What he's doing right now is what he did for 4 years in college. You can see that "been there done that" look on his face when he's out there.

On top of that, Goudelock has multiple ways of scoring. He can shoot the 3. He can drive for a layup, and if the defense comes over on the drive, he can go to his mid-range floater. Shannon didn't have these kinds of moves. And even if he did, he never used them on a consistent basis like Goudelock did in college for 4 years.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 am

What I am most impressed with is his ease of getting into the lane for that floater or dish. We haven't had a guard that seems to easily penetrate in quite awhile -- effortlessly finds the creases in the defense -- and a willingness to do so. It's refreshing to see. He seems to have the ball on a yo-yo when he dribbles which is great -- looks like he can continue to develop into a very good ball-handler. I sense the guy could put a ton of work in and develop into a very good guard that can play the 1 or 2. I like what I'm seeing.

That being said, don't be surprised if he gets shipped elsewhere in a deal. We don't have many other attractive young pieces on this squad.
Last edited by Alleyhoops on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alleyhoops

Postby bystander on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 am

I'm liking this guy every day. It's easy to stuck on the new bright thing, but i think he has more fundamentals than Shannon ever got.

Could be a very nice piece.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:31 am

revgen wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I'm still not sold. We need consistency. Remember when we all thought Shannon was the perfect role player? Well Goudelock is now on the same track. Let's wait and see how this pans out, but I love what he's bringing lately.

Shannon was hot when he was looking good. Goudelock looks cool as a cucumber. What he's doing right now is what he did for 4 years in college. You can see that "been there done that" look on his face when he's out there.

On top of that, Goudelock has multiple ways of scoring. He can shoot the 3. He can drive for a layup, and if the defense comes over on the drive, he can go to his mid-range floater. Shannon didn't have these kinds of moves. And even if he did, he never used them on a consistent basis like Goudelock did in college for 4 years.

I don't disagree with your assessment of his talent. I think he's got plenty of weapons and is proving to be a better scoring option than advertised.

But what I'm seeing here is a young guy, brimming with confidence and ability. We've seen that twice here in the last few years. Once with Trevor and once with Shannon. Now I'm seeing the trend again. He'll get hot, they'll ask him to take on a bit more of the load and he'll either expect a starting spot or he'll crumble under the pressure.

Not saying this kid is destined to do the same, only that we've seen it twice now. I'm hoping this kid can have the effectiveness of those two guys though. That'd be fantastic for the bench squad.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 am

As @0goudelock suggested, putting him/Kapono/Murphy around Bynum w/2nd unit really works from 3-point aspect...

If teams double Bynum, that's 3 good 3-point shooters spreading the floor. Reminds a bit of Orlando around Howard.

https://twitter.com/#!/LakersReporter

I like this idea of the 2nd Unit ^^^

Bynum
Murphy (if we need rebounding or more athletic defender McRambis can switch and play PF)
Barnes
Kapono
Glock
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
As @0goudelock suggested, putting him/Kapono/Murphy around Bynum w/2nd unit really works from 3-point aspect...

If teams double Bynum, that's 3 good 3-point shooters spreading the floor. Reminds a bit of Orlando around Howard.

https://twitter.com/#!/LakersReporter

I like this idea of the 2nd Unit ^^^

Bynum
Murphy (if we need rebounding or more athletic defender McRambis can switch and play PF)
Barnes
Kapono
Glock

Yeah I mentioned this during the game. Barnes must have felt like it was deja vu out there with him, Jameer Goudelock, Hidayet Kapono and Ryan Murphy out there on the floor with Dwight Bynum. LOL
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby revgen on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:13 am

More like Vince Kapono and Rashard Murphy, but yeah, it's definitely an Orlando lineup out there. But the big difference is that we're going inside-out moreso than outside-in.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 am

revgen wrote:More like Vince Kapono and Rashard Murphy, but yeah, it's definitely an Orlando lineup out there. But the big difference is that we're going inside-out moreso than outside-in.

I picked Hedo and Ryan cause they white too. :man10:
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby ChumsGum on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 am

he sure is playing back up point better than morris. sorry, but morris is d-league material at this point in his career.
ChumsGum

Postby Dyeggoo on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

According to Kevin Ding (posted on his twitter):
Kobe calls Glock "Mini-Mamba". Damn, if true then it means that Kobe's really impressed with him.
Now take the rookie under your wing, KB.
Dyeggoo

Postby jism on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Nba.com: With Steve Blake sidelined by a rib injury, the Lakers have turned to their second-round pick out of the College of Charleston. And the rookie has responded in a big way. In his last four games, Goudelock has averaged 11.5 points on 50 percent shooting (17-for-34 FGs, 8-for-14 on 3s) and has been a real bright spot for the Lakers bench in their recent struggles. The Lakers are reportedly looking for backcourt help (Gilbert Arenas, Mo Williams and Morris Peterson have all been mentioned), but the rookie guard has been aggressive and looks to be a potentially nice pick out of the second round. If he continues to see the backup minutes and hit shots like Video this one (nice tear drop against Clippers), he could stick around The Ladder.

Goudelock has just earned 8th spot on the nba rookie ladder. Glad to see that, he earned it.
Anyway, he can be our first real steal from 2nd round since Nick the quick. Hope so. We need it, desperately. He can help the team as much as he can help our cap. Good luck Goudelock
the dude abides
jism

Postby borri on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 pm

One more game like the last 3....I'll hop on board this wagon for the long haul.
borri

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

He's quick as hell (compared to any guard we've had in a long time anyway), he can shoot, and he hits the open man when he drives and draws the double, not much more you can ask out of your backup rookie PG. He's a scoring PG, and for this team that's not a bad thing at all. I'm very impressed with him lately, I saw nothing in the games he was playing in the D-League that made me think he had this in him, but he can hang out there. Does he fix all our problems, is he the future? No, and probably not, but he's helping a hell of a lot right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Re: Andrew Gl0ck/G-LOC Discussion Thread (This Kid is LEGIT)

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Thread title got an upgrade.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Re: Andrew Gl0ck/G-LOC Discussion Thread (This Kid is LEGIT)

Postby Uncle Drew on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

MINI MAMBA :jam2: :jam2: :bow:
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

People that followed his college career note that he's had that floater shot for a long time now. Read someone say he must have hit 3-4 of them a game in his senior year.

Most importantly, he's got a really good entry pass. Might be the 2nd best entry passer on the team right now behind Kobe.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby borri on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Most importantly, he's got a really good entry pass. Might be the 2nd best entry passer on the team right now behind Kobe.

I was about to point this out too.
borri

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion