Andrew Goudelock Waived: no longer a Laker (pg 23)

Re: Andrew Gl0ck/G-LOC Discussion Thread

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:29 pm

He needs to play more PG.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby BadCoaching on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 pm

I like the guy so far.. you can see it on his face how bad he wants to win. He doesn't look intimidated or anything. Deserves more minutes for sure, especially bigger minutes before Blake gets back.

Not sure what to think of Morris at this point. He does the rookie mistakes.. he needs a lot more development for sure.
BadCoaching

Postby Barnstable on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Great game tonight. Even when he missed, at least he was aggressive, and it was nice to see someone other than Kobe make quick driving moves into the lane. I bet he makes those shots he missed tonight once he gets the rookie gitters out, and gets use to playing in the NBA.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 am

Frag boy can play...
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am

Goudelock came in tonight basically saying "Uh, Guys, you know we're professional basketball players right? it's not very hard to hit open shots you know" Hope the Lakers were paying attention.
Forward Three

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 am

He definitely showed better than out of control Morris.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 am

He's not better than Morris (he's not as good on D, and his handles stink compared to Morris), but he brought what the bench really needs. Scoring. Artest wasn't bringing it, Blake was out, and Morris is a pass-first player. Glock is the kind of player our bench unit needs right now.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:34 am

The guy has a great stroke. Need to work on defense though, he was getting burned off the dribble a lot. But I like this kid. GLOC....bam bam bam bam. :man10:
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 am

revgen wrote:He's not better than Morris (he's not as good on D, and his handles stink compared to Morris), but he brought what the bench really needs. Scoring. Artest wasn't bringing it, Blake was out, and Morris is a pass-first player. Glock is the kind of player our bench unit needs right now.

I liked his execution. Made the right passes, didn't over dribble, and got to the right areas on defense to get the open look. Defensively, I think he frustrated Mo Williams. Hence the flagrant.

Morris is a confident kid with a lot of skills. But, he is very indecisive. Defensively, he's quick, and can keep up, but still gets burned like Goudelock on the drive by.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 am

Here's how I see it, without comparing Glock and Morris directly.....

If we had a SG who was a perimeter scorer (JR Smith, Crawford, Terry) for example, Morris should play because we have scoring off the bench, but we need a facilitator on the court to distribute the ball and run the offense.

If we have no bench scoring (case for the Lakers now), we need Goudelock on the court because he's a natural scorer and shooter that we need. We can get by without a PG if we run the offense through the bigs.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 am

lakerfan2 wrote:
revgen wrote:He's not better than Morris (he's not as good on D, and his handles stink compared to Morris), but he brought what the bench really needs. Scoring. Artest wasn't bringing it, Blake was out, and Morris is a pass-first player. Glock is the kind of player our bench unit needs right now.

I liked his execution. Made the right passes, didn't over dribble, and got to the right areas on defense to get the open look. Defensively, I think he frustrated Mo Williams. Hence the flagrant.

Morris is a confident kid with a lot of skills. But, he is very indecisive. Defensively, he's quick, and can keep up, but still gets burned like Goudelock on the drive by.

^It's easier to be decisive when you can score, which Morris isn't good at. Defense plays off you. Shoot. They close in. Drive or pass to whomever is open. If Morris (who is a pass-first guy) was on the floor with guys who can score, then decisions would be easier for him. The floor would be spread, and there would be options for him to go to. That's not the case with the bench unit we have. As Doc Brown explained above, Glock brings what the bench really needs right now. Scoring. MWP was supposed to do that, but hasn't delivered. Blake was the go-to scorer for the bench until he was hurt. That's partly why Brown had Morris out there with Blake as PG/SG unit. The idea was for Morris to set up Blake in his sweet spots. Unfortunately, Blake got hurt that very night.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 am

Doc and Revgen's last posts sum it up. Having Morris' PG skills out there with the second unit don't matter, Ron can't shoot, McRoberts either can't or just doesn't want to, we have no people for him to set up really. I like Morris as evident by my earlier posts in the thread, but it seems Goudelock is better for the bench unit to me, having a true PG out there for us wasn't working, so why not have a guy at that spot that is quick and can score. Black is a true PG, but he works with the second unit because he can shoot, which as pointed out, Morris seemingly can't do well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 am

Morris is marginally better than him defensively. Goudelock is better than Morris in pretty much every other aspect.

Morris hasn't shown anything. He's supposed to be one of those PG's who can't shoot, but should at least be able to make plays for others through good ball handling and passing. Morris hasn't done that once. He gets the ball, dribbles around the perimeter, get's stuck and passes it to someone else. He hasn't shown the ability to take anyone off the dribble, his passing is suspect, he's too timid to take open jumpers within the flow of the offense.

From what I've seen, Goudelock is a much better SG than Morris is a PG. So if there's only room in the rotation for one of them to play the back-up role, I'd rather it be Goudelock since our bench has much more use for a scorer than it does for a pass-first PG whose not even that good at facilitating.
Helljumper

Postby Doberman on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 am

Which is why we SHOULD start Morris and bench Fisher (even though it will never happen).
Doberman

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 am

Doberman wrote:Which is why we SHOULD start Morris and bench Fisher (even though it will never happen).

How does that help or fix anything? :man3: Wait, nevermind,I don't even want to know.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 am

Helljumper wrote:Morris is marginally better than him defensively. Goudelock is better than Morris in pretty much every other aspect.

Morris hasn't shown anything. He's supposed to be one of those PG's who can't shoot, but should at least be able to make plays for others through good ball handling and passing. Morris hasn't done that once. He gets the ball, dribbles around the perimeter, get's stuck and passes it to someone else. He hasn't shown the ability to take anyone off the dribble, his passing is suspect, he's too timid to take open jumpers within the flow of the offense.

From what I've seen, Goudelock is a much better SG than Morris is a PG. So if there's only room in the rotation for one of them to play the back-up role, I'd rather it be Goudelock since our bench has much more use for a scorer than it does for a pass-first PG whose not even that good at facilitating.

That's because defenses are sagging. They know none of the bench unit guys can hit shots (including Morris), so they sag in and cut off driving lanes. So essentially, Morris has no options. Morris' game doesn't fit what the bench unit needs. Which is somebody who can put the ball into the hoop.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby c.Lin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 am

The kid showed some promise tonight. Not going to get too excited, but you can tell he is a scorer. He has a good shooting stroke, can penetrate the defense, and makes decent decisions. If Mike Brown was willing to give Morris extended minutes, I would definitely like to see the same for Goudelock.
c.Lin

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:29 am

In the interview after the game you could tell he was frustrated to be on the bench. He's hungry to prove himself and he deserves another shot after what he showed tonight.

If he can prove that he can hit that open 3 and that pretty floater on a regular basis, it'd be HUGE for this team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby StudentOfTheGame on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 am

Really glad Brown decided to give him a shot at the point. I was impressed with the way he handled it tonight. He's clearly more of a 2-guard, but he looked pretty decent running the 2nd unit. Especially liked his post entry passes. That alone should get him more time. With the players we have... a proper post entry pass is extremely valuable. He took a cheap shot from Mo Williams and didn't flop like a girl and calmly swished two three throws and he also sent Mo Williams to the floor on an awesome fly-by play.

Hopefully it's a confidence builder. Never want to rely on a 2nd round rookie, but he's got the tools to be a big help for this team.
StudentOfTheGame

Postby earvinfr on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 am

What Goudelock did is what we're supposed to get Kapono. I hope that game will help his confidence and gives him more playing time.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am

He can shoot, that was never a secret...thats why I don't understand why we didn't play him at all...

he isn't a good player but no one from the bench is. At least he can shoot though.

Kapono is getting minutes but he is completely useless because the only skillset that he has is shooting which isn't working right now.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KB24 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 am

BTW, where did he grab that floater? seems like he stole a move from Navarro :man1:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby revgen on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:39 am

earvinfr wrote:What Goudelock did is what we're supposed to get Kapono. I hope that game will help his confidence and gives him more playing time.

Kapono is a shooter, not a scorer. Goudelock is a scorer. Big difference.

The other problem with Kapono is that he can't do anything else besides shoot. Defense? No. Rebounding? No. Passing? Once in a blue moon. Drive to the basket? No. Finish on a fastbreak? No. etc. etc. etc.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:53 am

much better than i've seen him play since he's been in the big leagues (not that he's played a lot). i think hitting that first floater gave him some confidence back, because those long balls looked much better than any of his other attempts this year.

i'm still not so sure he can play pg for more than a couple minutes at a time (he got pressured effectively on a few trips), but if he can just make himself a threat he'll carve out some consistent time. the lakers desperately need it.
abeer3

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:22 am

KB24 wrote:BTW, where did he grab that floater? seems like he stole a move from Navarro :man1:

Emplay said he'd seen him shoot it previously. Stu said he'd seen it in practice. It's a great move. So hard to block. Really useful for a guy his size who can get into the paint (and he apparently can!).

As for Morris vs. Goudelock, the comparison has to compare what they're supposed to do for a team. Morris does seem to be a better defender so far, has better handles, and is probably a better passer with better court vision. Goudelock is surely a better scorer, a better shooter, and seems to hustle more. But this is a young season, and the numbers don't tell a great deal about either player so far:

Per 36 minutes:
Morris: 7.3 points, 3.2 ast, 3.5 reb, 3.2 TO, 0.6 STL
Goudelock: 11.2 pts, 0.9 ast, 1.9 reb, 0.6 TO, 0.1 STL

Shooting
Morris: .400/.600/.667
Goudelock: .348/.333/1.000

Rtgs (ORtg/DRts)
Morris: 84/105
Goudelock: 82/107
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion