Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:22 am

Offensive rebounds, timely buckets.

16 points, 4 OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS. And this dude is playing for $1M?
Chillbongo

Postby XXIV on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 am

Another great game by Jamison. I really want him back next season and I hope he wants to stay.
XXIV

Postby denimPortugal on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:53 am

XXIV wrote:Another great game by Jamison. I really want him back next season and I hope he wants to stay.

I hope so.Him and Earl!
denimPortugal

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi 4m
Antawn Jamison: "We just never had any chemistry. We could never figure it out."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

I can't see him hopping from team to team this late in his career. I see 3 scenarios with him....

1.) He re-ups here on the cheap
2.) He goes to Charlotte to play out his final years (His plan before coming to the Lakers)
3.) He retires - Most unlikely scenario
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:22 pm

You gotta bring him back...hes been worth every bit of that minimum salary

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Id bring him back, he's cheap.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm

bring him back. if we have a healthy roster. maybe a Kevin love type player instead of pau. Dwight comes back. Nash at 100% he could be useful for us. easily best player tonight other than pau
Ariza3

Postby 432J on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 pm

please bring him back

veteran leadership and the guy can ball. unless he retires, there's no reason not to bring him back
432J

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 pm

432J wrote:please bring him back

veteran leadership and the guy can ball. unless he retires, there's no reason not to bring him back

+1, on the same contract (vet min)
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby khmrP on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Finwë wrote:
432J wrote:please bring him back

+1, on the same contract (vet min)

yea I"m sure he'd love to take a another cheap contract when he's out played plenty of others who make way more than him.....at least reward the guy and give him a raise and show some respect if we want him back.
khmrP

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 pm

I don't think he will come back for the veteran's minimum. I hope he does but my gut says he won't, especially with MDA at the helm
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 pm

I wouldn't come back for the minimum if I were him. Why come back to this circus with no chemistry and a crap coach? He can go pretty much wherever he wants. Hell, going to Charlotte and playing at home might be better than here even though they suck worse than us, at least it's without drama.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Weezy wrote:I wouldn't come back for the minimum if I were him. Why come back to this circus with no chemistry and a crap coach? He can go pretty much wherever he wants. Hell, going to Charlotte and playing at home might be better than here even though they suck worse than us, at least it's without drama.

Exactly, this is why I am very anxious to listen to his exit interview on Tuesday to try and gauge a little better on where I think he is leaning toward.
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Eh.

He disappeared so hard in the playoffs I thought his name was Pau Gasol.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:48 pm

therealdeal wrote:Eh.

Two words for you: Wrist surgery.

Surprise he could even hold onto a basketball let along make some plays. He was one of our best players in tonight's game 4 with the percentage he shot and points scored compared to many others.
Battle Tested20

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 am

I think he goes to Charlotte for a little more money for the opportunity to play close to home. Too bad. I liked him; he was a bargain.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:14 am

the guy held his wrist after every shot. he could have easily sat out and joined the injured list. hes like 36 and battled out there. he shot well and did a lot of good things. defense was actually better the last part of the season than what his rep says.

he was great for us and with a healthy roster and with regular minutes unlike the beginning of the season hed be good. i hope we keep him. cheap vet who can still hit shots and do the little things
Ariza3

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 am

despite the injury, still way too inconsistent for my liking. the 6th man should be a consistent, if not unspectacular, contributor.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 am

Wait weren't you just scolding me about Meeks being injured and giving his all for LA? And then you come in here and dog Jamison for when he has a worse injury than Meeks that he played with for months?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Wait weren't you just scolding me about Meeks being injured and giving his all for LA? And then you come in here and dog Jamison for when he has a worse injury than Meeks that he played with for months?

An injury to your wrist doesn't stop you from rebounding or defending effectively. He's a 36 year old vet too and not a 25 year old kid. My expectations of Jamison are FAR greater than my expectations for Meeks.

I'm going to dog him if he comes up weak in the playoffs, sure. It's not like I "excused" Meeks for his play. All I did was say I appreciate the effort. I appreciate the effort of Jamison getting us to the playoffs, but were you watching him the last 4 games? He was almost nonexistent.

I'm sure that changes if/when we get an actual PG who can set him up, but I'm frustrated that our savvy vet was made so ineffective by the likes of Matt Bonner and Leonard. He was supposed to be able to outsmart those guys and remain effective. Meeks was just supposed to shoot. Neither of them succeeded, but who would we expect to succeed more in those situations?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 am

Jamison came up short, but think there's a couple reasons for his weak performance in the playoffs.

1. Injury -- The wrist is bothering him, and he's not one to talk about it. He's going to get surgery in the summer.

2. Lack of shot creators -- a guy like Jamison LIVES off the ball...our number one shot creator, play maker, and defense shredder is gone.

3. Pop -- Coach Pop is a master scouter. It's not like Jamison is ultra quick, he told his guys to keep a body on Jamo and not help off him.

4. None of our guys outside of Blake/Nash/Gasol really showed up in the Playoffs. Our team was short handed and demoralized. Given his injury and D'Antoni's inability to adjust or run plays it kind of explains the drop off. He shot 12 FG's in the Playoffs. You can blame him, but blame whatever the hell offense we were running too. He averaged 7-8 shots a game in the regular season.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:36 am

True. I'm being hard on the guy, but I expected a lot out of him. Unlike the young guys, he's been around the block.

I think (and I'm not necessarily blaming him) that he kind of gave up. Him, Nash, Howard a bit... All the guys that haven't been to the promise land and don't really know what it's like to try to get there. They felt the writing on the wall and they all said "forget it, it's over."

I guess I just wanted more from them. Jamison especially. Howard is young and needs to mature more. Nash looked like he just got off the set of The Walking Dead. Jamison's wrist was bad, but his body could still move.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 pm

You still want him back though, right? And realistically, what price is Jamison looking for? Does he want to be back?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:39 pm

I would take him back I suppose, but only at the same or a similar price as last season and I don't think he wants that. I think he gave us a huge gift by signing for so cheap and I think next season he'll ask for 3-4 million.

And of course knowing our luck, we'll try to give it to him and he'll hurt himself even worse next season being a 37 year old guy...

Tough call.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion