Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Re: Antawn Jamison Discussion: Cockroach

Postby charvin on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 pm

He also said that he wants no part of the veteran minimum again.

LooN3y wrote:
XXIV wrote:There's no way he's coming back.

what if MDA is shipped out?
charvin

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Brad Turner ‏@BA_Turner 2m
Clippers, forward Antawn Jamison both showing interest. No deal yet, however. Jamison, of course, played for Lakers last season.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Well, if they sign Jamison maybe they won't need Odom.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby TSpence26 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I don't re-call such a time where all the Lakers players ditched us for the Clippers
TSpence26

Postby Kobe8Bryant4Life on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:05 pm

TSpence26 wrote:I don't re-call such a time where all the Lakers players ditched us for the Clippers
The tides have changed, and changed fast. We QUICKLY went from a Top Tier team to being on the same level as the Sacramento Kings and Portland Trailblazers.
Eric Church. THE CHIEF.
http://youtu.be/XxWjtWONuGc
Kobe8Bryant4Life

Postby Kobe8Bryant4Life on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:05 pm

TSpence26 wrote:I don't re-call such a time where all the Lakers players ditched us for the Clippers
The tides have changed, and changed fast. We QUICKLY went from a Top Tier team to being on the same level as the Sacramento Kings and Portland Trailblazers.
Eric Church. THE CHIEF.
http://youtu.be/XxWjtWONuGc
Kobe8Bryant4Life

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Two words: Basketball Reasons

David Stern's final mark on his legacy will be the fact he steered the future course of NBA history through one decision on December 8, 2011. CP3/Kobe/D12 2011-12 Lakers were all set to reign on.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Phil XI wrote:Two words: Basketball Reasons

David Stern's final mark on his legacy will be the fact he steered the future course of NBA history through one decision on December 8, 2011. CP3/Kobe/D12 2011-12 Lakers were all set to reign on.

This.

Stern's legacy will be killing the Lakers for the next 3-5 years at least. He didn't just help sign off on a CBA that kills us, but he rejected a trade that all parties had agreed on and that would have made us a great team going forward.

He knew we were aiming for Chris Paul/Dwight Howard/Kobe Bryant. He killed that and now we're having to fall back on a "2014 Plan" that was never Plan A. The plan was to have those two, sign another great player, and then have Kobe back if he wants it.

That would have made the Lakers another great, great team going forward. Thanks to Stern we're becoming an after thought and one of the worst franchises in the history of sports has been propped up on a pedestal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

WELP

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-antawn-jamison-20130707,0,5316532.story

The Clippers and the representatives for Antawn Jamison have been talking about the free-agent forward joining the team, said NBA executives who were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The most the Clippers could offer Jamison is the veteran minimum of $1.4 million for a player with 10-plus years of NBA experience.

The Clippers have agreed to re-sign center Ryan Hollins, the 7-footer announced on his Twitter feed Sunday.

Jamison, 37, played for the Lakers last season. He averaged 9.4 points and 4.8 rebounds in 21.5 minutes, mostly as a reserve. He made 46.4% of his shots from the field and 36.1% of his three-pointers.

If the Clippers are able to agree to a deal with the 6-9, 235-pound Jamison, he’ll give them some scoring off the bench in the frontcourt.

Jamison, who has been an All-Star twice, has career averages of 18.8 points and 7.6 rebounds over 16 seasons, during which he has shot 45.2% from the field and 34.7% from three-point range.

The Clippers also are interested in re-signing center/forward Ronny Turiaf.

Those potential signings could mean that free-agent forward Lamar Odom won’t be playing for the Clippers next season.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Damn, Jamison moving across the hall for a real shot at a ring, ouch. Still, like I said, that would most likely leave Odom available for us at least.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:44 pm

yess we gettin odom! :jam2:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Don't blame him. Doc Rivers > MDA. Their roster > ours. If he likes LA and still wants a chance to contend, that's a much better alternative for him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:59 pm

JSM wrote:Don't blame him. Doc Rivers > MDA. Their roster > ours. If he likes LA and still wants a chance to contend, that's a much better alternative for him.

I don't blame him either. He put up with a nightmare season here when he signed up to try and win a ring. He was a great teammate and a total pro the whole time, didn't talk about locker room stuff publicly, didn't complain how 'Antoni was or wasn't using him, just did his job. I wish him well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't have a problem with him signing with the Clippers but what I don't like is that from everything I read and heard was that Jamison didn't want to play only for the vet. min. and wanted to be closer to his family.

Now it looks like he is going to the Clippers??? Jamison, if you don't want to be here that's fine but don't BS us with telling us you want more money or a chance to get closer to home when you really don't
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:04 pm

^ It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of interest out there for him, outside of rumors out of DC. Maybe once all the higher valued FAs signed where they were going to, then the contenders would give him a look. But nothing has changed since last summer. He wanted a shot at a ring then and he still wants one now. Much rather him go across the hall than join the cHeat.
JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:14 pm

JSM wrote:^ It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of interest out there for him, outside of rumors out of DC. Maybe once all the higher valued FAs signed where they were going to, then the contenders would give him a look. But nothing has changed since last summer. He wanted a shot at a ring then and he still wants one now. Much rather him go across the hall than join the cHeat.

Yes, me too. Anywhere but the cHeat
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Weezy wrote:
JSM wrote:Don't blame him. Doc Rivers > MDA. Their roster > ours. If he likes LA and still wants a chance to contend, that's a much better alternative for him.

I don't blame him either. He put up with a nightmare season here when he signed up to try and win a ring. He was a great teammate and a total pro the whole time, didn't talk about locker room stuff publicly, didn't complain how 'Antoni was or wasn't using him, just did his job. I wish him well.

this
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm

How is this already NBA discussion? Nothing has been agreed upon yet.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby MadMax on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm

dj vitus wrote:How is this already NBA discussion? Nothing has been agreed upon yet.

He only had a 1 year contract with the Lakers, so technically he isn't under contract with an NBA team yet.

I think.
MadMax

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 am

I moved it.

He's not a Laker right now and he won't be in a week.

If by some bizarro-world turn of events I'm wrong, I'll change it back. And I'll promote you to deputy of threads. There's no actual power, it's just a title mostly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby retro_nights on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

can't blame him. we knew he came to us on the cheap to win a ring and it didn't happen. can't be mad at him for going to another contender for the same reason.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Kit on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Give me LO!
Kit

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 14m
Free agent Antawn Jamison told Y! Sports teams have shied from signing him due to unneccessary concerns about his surgically repaired wrist.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 13m
Jamison added he began shooting 3-pointers again last Friday, can play 5-on-5 full contact in a month and is willing to workout for teams.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo 11m
Clippers and Bobcats amongst teams that have recently expressed interest in Antawn Jamison, a source said.
JSM

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld wrote:Antawn Jamison – Last summer, Jamison signed with the Los Angeles Lakers because he wanted to be a key contributor on a contending team. Things obviously didn’t go as planned, as the Lakers were the biggest disappointment of the 2012-13 season and Jamison’s minutes fluctuated throughout the season, which frustrated the 37-year-old.
Now, Jamison is going through the free agency process yet again. A return to the Lakers is unlikely for Jamison, and joining their STAPLES Center co-tenant seems like a long shot as well. The L.A. Clippers had some discussions with Jamison earlier in the offseason, but they decided to go in a different direction and sign Byron Mullens instead. While chasing a ring in a different city is still an option for Jamison, the Charlotte Bobcats seem to be the frontrunner to sign him at this point. Jamison grew up in Charlotte and is interested in returning home and living year-round with his four children. He flirted with the Bobcats last offseason for this very reason, and may decide to join them now. While he would most likely have to endure a losing season, he’d get to play a large role and be one of the team’s veteran leaders alongside Al Jefferson and Ben Gordon as well as his former teammates Ramon Sessions and Brendan Haywood.
JSM

Postby JSM on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:49 pm

DeAntae Prince of the Sporting News wrote:Antawn Jamison doesn’t regret his decision to join the Los Angeles Lakers as a free agent.

He admits that, based on the team they had on paper in 2012-13, the Lakers didn't live up to their full potential. Looking back, he knows that they had too many issues to remain focused and too many injuries to remain intact.

Still, he values the experience. That doesn't mean he won't be more careful in picking his next free agency destination, though.

Jamison said he will definitely tread more cautiously through this latest decision on his NBA future. As he did when he chose to sign a one-year veteran's minimum deal with the Lakers last summer, Jamison has suitors. The Bulls, Clippers, Grizzlies and Bobcats have all showed interest in the 37-year-old free agent, who believes he has a couple more years left of competing at a high level.

"I think last year, getting the opportunity to play for the Lakers and their organization, I really jumped into it," Jamison said. "Didn't really view my options, but this year I really want to make sure I'm going to the right situation, where I have a good rapport with the coaching staff and also with management I'm able to communicate and get an understanding of what they want from me.

"Because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it's the perfect fit, so I really want to make sure the next team I go to, whether it's a one- or two-year deal, that it's a really good fit and we have a understanding with each other as well. That's why you really have to take your time and key into what's best not just for me but for my family as well."

Jamison was outspoken about problems he had in Los Angeles, namely the lack of playing time he saw under coach Mike D'Antoni. His numbers were at their worst since his rookie season, but that was more about playing time than injury. Jamison averaged 9.4 points and 4.8 rebounds last season. By contrast, his career numbers average out at 18.8 points and 7.6 rebounds.

But Jamison, who comes off as a nice guy, didn't want to throw former teammates or coaches under the bus. He referred to most of the rumblings surrounding last year's Lakers as "nonsense", making sure not to implicate any one person or isolate any one incident.

He used similar language when he talked about free agency, saying he wants to enjoy basketball and have fun much more often than he mentioned money or individual numbers. So, the question had to be asked: Was playing in Los Angeles fun?

"It was fun," Jamison said. "There was just a lot of unnecessary nonsense that really prevented us from accomplishing what we could have accomplished. Of course you can't do anything with injuries and the coaches being fired..."

Then Jamison tapered off, leaving his sentence unfinished.

"You see it," he said. "Every week there was something new."

As a veteran player whose accomplished nearly everything short of winning an NBA title, Jamison doesn't want to play for a team with an ever-changing dynamic. He's want stability and he wants to win.

"I made the money, accomplished a lot of things individually," Jamison said. "I have a couple years left where I can compete night in and night out and really have an opportunity to enjoy basketball and not dealing with losses and other nonsense. I just want to have fun and be a part of something special."

Hope he goes to Chicago.
JSM

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion