Artest angry said he shoulda got defensive player award

Artest angry said he shoulda got defensive player award

Postby Reddy on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:57 pm

it went to Detroits ben wallace: http://www.nba.com/news/wallace_030423.html

HERES ARTESTS REACTION: Artest says he, not Wallace, should have won 'D' award

No word yet if he shot the middle finger at the voters for their lack of support.

(posted Apr. 23, 8:15PM EDT)
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons won the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award for the second straight season Wednesday.

Wallace became the sixth player to win the award in consecutive years, receiving 100 out of a possible 117 first-place votes from a panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

"It means a lot to me," Wallace said. "One thing that I pride myself on is playing defence. I guess this shows I'm doing a good job."

Ron Artest of Indiana, Kevin Garnett of Minnesota, Tim Duncan of San Antonio and Doug Christie of Sacramento rounded out the top five.

The six-foot-nine, 240-pound Wallace averaged a league-best 15.4 rebounds, the highest regular-season average since Dennis Rodman's 16.1 in 1996-97. Wallace averaged 3.15 blocked shots, second to Atlanta's Theo Ratliff, who averaged 3.23 blocks.

Sidney Moncrief, Dennis Rodman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning also won the award in consecutive seasons. No one has won the award three straight times.

"I guess that's something to shoot for," Wallace said.

Artest, who received two first-place votes, complained that the honour should have been his.

"There's a lot of good defenders out there, but I still feel I should have won the award," he said.

Last year, Wallace was a nearly unanimous choice after becoming just the fourth player to lead the league in rebounding and shot-blocking.

"Ben has proven himself to be the most dominant defensive player in the league again this year," said Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations. "I'm happy to see that people around the league have recognized him once again."

Wallace, who averaged a team-high 39.4 minutes, helped Detroit limit opposing teams to a league-low average of 87.7 points during the regular season.

The 28-year-old Wallace became the first undrafted player to be voted an all-star starter this season. He played in the game one day after his mother's funeral.

After missing two weeks with a sprained ligament in his left knee, Wallace finished nd to Atlanta's Theo Ratliff, who averaged 3.23 blocks.

Sidney Moncrief, Dennis Rodman, Hakeem Olajuwon, Dikembe Mutombo and Alonzo Mourning also won the award in consecutive seasons. No one has won the award three straight times.

"I guess that's something to shoot for," Wallace said.

Artest, who received two first-place votes, complained that the honour should have been his.

"There's a lot of good defenders out there, but I still feel I should have won the award," he said.

Last year, Wallace was a nearly unanimous choice after becoming just the fourth player to lead the league in rebounding and shot-blocking.

"Ben has proven himself to be the most dominant defensive player in the league again this year," said Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations. "I'm happy to see that people around the league have recognized him once again."

Wallace, who averaged a team-high 39.4 minutes, helped Detroit limit opposing teams to a league-low average of 87.7 points during the regular season.

The 28-year-old Wallace became the first undrafted player to be voted an all-star starter this season. He played in the game one day after his mother's funeral.

After missing two weeks with a sprained ligament in his left knee, Wallace finished with 13 rebounds and three blocks in the Pistons' loss to the Orlando Magic on Sunday in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series.

Before getting injured, Wallace was on pace to become the first player in NBA history to lead the league in rebounds and blocks twice. Last season, he joined Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton and Hakeem Olajuwon as the only players to lead in rebounds and blocks.

The seven-year NBA veteran, who went undrafted out of Virginia Union in 1996, averaged 6.9 points to help the Pistons win their second straight Central Division title and earn the top seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs with a record of 50-32.

thoughts? who do ya think really deserved it?
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby clublakers on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:33 pm

I'm not sure the league likes to engage in honoring their resident freak shows with awards.

So how did the local boys do on the East coast dominated ballot?

Kobe got 0 first place votes, 3 second place, and 7 third place votes for a grand total of 16.

Shaq got 0 first, 0 second, and 3 third place votes for a grand total of... uhhh... 3. That's only three more votes than I got this season, and I didn't even run.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby Lakerqueen on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:41 pm

Artest should just shut his mouth! If he thinks that the player who has the most flagrant fouls in the league deserves to be Defensive Player of the Year, then he should get his head examined... wait, that's not the onyl reason why! No person who is suspended for 12 games should even be allowed to play, let alone win an honorable award such as he thinks he deserves.
Lakerqueen

Postby Reddy on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:05 pm

he he
those laker votes tell us how many guys hate us out there, eager to knock us off our reign
kobe and shaq were great at defesnse, kobe stole the ball, and shaq blocked it
but my vote had to go to BEN WALLACE, i think he deserved it
he did al things on defense
he's hte reason why pistons allow least points :man11:
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:27 am

Reddy wrote:he he
those laker votes tell us how many guys hate us out there, eager to knock us off our reign
kobe and shaq were great at defesnse, kobe stole the ball, and shaq blocked it
but my vote had to go to BEN WALLACE, i think he deserved it
he did al things on defense
he's hte reason why pistons allow least points :man11:

It's all over the place... Even the league is tryin to manipulate our concentration just cuz we don't get awards we "should" But awards don't win championships and we strive for something more than an award show, ya feel?? We're tha 3 time defendin champs and they are seekin us outta our 4th straight...

Yea I saw this on Sportscenter last night, and it's clear on why they didn't give the award to Ron and if he cant see it, then it's just a lost cause. Ben is more agressive and averaged like 15 boards a game and like 3 blocks too. Even tho Artest is a good defensive player, he just can't control his temper when his team needs him the most, and that's sad...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Reddy on Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:30 am

yepp, his techicals killed him
i think wallace deserved it cause of those stats
but i agree, shaq and kobe dont care bout individulal accolades right now, all they have thier eyes set on is the 4 peat!
INNOCENT

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby FirstLady on Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:04 pm

The name of this post should be "Artest is the Most Angry and Defensive Player of the Year." :man10:

Congrats Ben!!!! Well deserved!
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:28 pm

Hey artest

Image :man11:
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Return to NBA Discussion