Article : NBA All-Star game rating ties record low

Article : NBA All-Star game rating ties record low

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:18 pm

February 18, 2004

The NBA All-Star game's TV rating tied the event's record low.

TNT's telecast Sunday night drew a 5.1 national household rating, the same as the 2001 game got on NBC.

That represents a 23 percent drop from the 6.6 rating on TNT last year, the first time the All-Star game was shown on cable TV, and a 38 percent fall from the 8.2 in 2002 on NBC.

The Western Conference beat the East 136-132 in Los Angeles.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Musttang87 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:06 pm

what do the ratings stand for? is it like how many people watched it or is it a bunch of people voting for how good the game was from a scale of 1 to 10?
Musttang87

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:14 pm

Thank you... How in the hell can they know how many housholds watched it? This doesn't make sence to me... I enjoyed it, and I could care less about some dayam ratings like this... :bang: It's just like when "they" said that the ratings were low for the nba finals last year too...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:26 pm

I am in a state of shock :man4: that had to be one of the best games in a while I mean it was competitive and it could have went to either team..I can understand the finals becuase they were a little on the boring side with two defensive teams but, the all-star game was really exciting
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby lakerzrule on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:28 pm

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:How in the hell can they know how many housholds watched it?

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/FAQ/ratings.html

Ratings may not be important to you or me, but they are interesting because they show how popular a program is. If a certain player or team is playing, you can see how that affects the ratings and know who or what will draw viewers. Also, stations rely on ratings to get sponsors and decide whether a show will stay on the air or get canceled after the TV season is over. I could care less about the ratings also, but I must admit I didn't watch the All-Star game either, and I'm a Lakers fan, so I guess it just wasn't a big draw this year.
lakerzrule

Postby crucifido on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:34 pm

Because it's a meaningless game that amounts to nothing more than a brash marketing tool for the NBA. It has nobearing on anything for anyone, except for the local businesses and the party scene. Otherwisae, the whole All-Star thing is a waste of time.
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby *wishlist* on Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:02 am

the game should be on abc
What's it going to take to have the Lakers to have a team song/chant like euroleague.. teams have... I can only wish.
*wishlist*

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:08 am

forget ABC... I hate em... lol

Nah, but how does the "rating system" know who or who isn't watchin a game? That makes no sence to me what so ever. :freak2:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Mookie on Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:47 am

WOW! That really catches my eye.
I would've thought this All-Star game had a very high rating, instead it doesn't. G
Mookie

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:01 am

strikemode14 wrote:I am in a state of shock :man4: that had to be one of the best games in a while I mean it was competitive and it could have went to either team..I can understand the finals becuase they were a little on the boring side with two defensive teams but, the all-star game was really exciting

Yeah it was very exciting. Plus, I thought the production that TNT put into it was done very well. This is a shock...
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby FirstLady on Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:20 am

I think the problem is that it wasn't on one of the main stations, like ABC, NBC or CBS. TNT isn't as popular. Maybe the NBA should have bought more advertising time on those major networks to push it.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby hig on Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:09 pm

The game should have been on a major network. There are still a lot of people that don't have cable/dish...I didn't until last year and the only reason I did get it was becasue of sports! I think it's a shame that EVERYTHING, it appears, needs to be on cable/dish.
hig

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:29 pm

FirstLady wrote:I think the problem is that it wasn't on one of the main stations, like ABC, NBC or CBS. TNT isn't as popular. Maybe the NBA should have bought more advertising time on those major networks to push it.

Yeah I can see this as the problem. Because honestly, the only time you saw advertising for TNT is on TNT.
LD2k.com
We Do It For The Fans | Videos as seen on Clublakers.com
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:00 am

It's unfortunate because...

1. The Game turned out to be a really good game.
2. The Rookie/Sophmore game was pretty decent as well ... should have stirred up a few more people to watch the Sunday game.
3. LA is a larger market than anywhere but NYC ... should have interested more people.
4. There were (and still are) some very interesting subplots to this years NBA season.
5. There were some interesting subplots to the game itself.

But I think whoever mentioned that it was on TNT probably hit it on the head.

TNT is not a Network station ... it's usually part of the basic cable package for many areas ... and that reduces the number of people that can watch. I personally know two people who don't have TNT and were unable to watch ... and both of them probably would have if they'd been able to.

And just a note ... the Nielsen Ratings have been around for a long time now and may not mean much to you Lakersgyrl ... but they are hugely important to the Networks.

Return to NBA Discussion