Attitude difference between MLB and NBA player

Re: Attitude difference between MLB and NBA player

Postby basketboy on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

revgen wrote:
gcclaker wrote:There are showboats in baseball too but not that many. Barry Bonds...Reggie Jackson...Ozzie Smith are a some that come to mind.

IIRC Ozzie usually did his flips after he made a defensive play. I don't mind showboating if you play D.

all i know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything.
basketboy

Postby Iceberg Slim on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:49 am

I honestly feel like baseball players respect the game they are playing more.

Kinda hardpressed for me to say this considering the huge steroid scandal the MLB just went through. I rather see NBA players pound their chest and scream after dunks than cheat the game using performance enhancing drugs, ruining the record books and potential hall of fame selections.

In baseball if you don't have the proper fundamentals, you cannot play the game, period. In basketball it's different. Everybody is so concerned about image and making "highlight" plays, it's far more individual oriented than baseball imo. Basketball players lack fundamentals, professionalism, class, and in many cases, teamwork and the hard work/dedication they should.

Is this fair? I think in basketball, you don't have to have proper fundamentals because superior athleticism allows one not to. Lebron was the perfect example of that and he is clearly the best player in the world right now. Depending on the observer, this could be good or bad. The new age purist probably would like to see both a la' Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. But to say b-ball players lack class/professionalism and don't work hard is quite the generalization. I think most players in the NBA conduct themselves very well. Its the few bad apples that get the attention. Now, if you're talking tattoos, hair styles, and deeming that unprofessional, that's another topic. You're speaking cultural projections you might not agree with. You didn't say that in your post so I can't assume you're referencing that. But outside of the known debauchery of the Malice in the Palace, Metta World Peace, Rasheed Wallace's antics, Kenyon Martin's celebrations and Bron's "Decision" what lack of class/professionalism are you talking about? For every bad/subjective story I can name 5 good ones...Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant, Ray Allen, Dwyane Wade, CP3, D-Will, D-Rose, etc. etc. And much of those names are the faces of the league.
www.thesportslyceum.com - personal blog

Iceberg Slim

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 am

many good points in this thread. i would also point out that baseball is a bit more individualized, so it's sometimes strange to be dancing in the outfield by yourself.

in basketball, usually it's someone setting you a pick, finding you open, etc.

overall, it's just cultural thing in sports. perhaps it's the constant physical contact that makes the game more emotion, but it's certainly a more aggressive sport and it comes out in it's celebrations. plus there are many buffoons in the nba.
Pig Miller

Previous

Return to NBA Discussion