Attitude difference between MLB and NBA player

Attitude difference between MLB and NBA player

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:34 am

Just watched Matt Kemp on Dodger replay of game with Giants tonight sprint to dead center and chase down a blast over his shoulder at the wall. The top 10 plays on Sportscenter every night always contain some that are just spectacular defensive stops. These guys are witches. But these same guys don't go nuts pounding their chests....they just act like they've been there before and are expected to make those plays. Basketball players....well not so much....got to make sure you know just how special they are after doing something even relatively average you'd expect them to do for what they're paid. Annoying.
LTLakerFan

Re: Attitude difference between MLB and NBA player

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:04 am

theres unwritten rules in baseball that result in a 80+ mph ball getting thrown at you when you go up to bat after you showboat
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Cleansed on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:35 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Just watched Matt Kemp on Dodger replay of game with Giants tonight sprint to dead center and chase down a blast over his shoulder at the wall. The top 10 plays on Sportscenter every night always contain some that are just spectacular defensive stops. These guys are witches. But these same guys don't go nuts pounding their chests....they just act like they've been there before and are expected to make those plays. Basketball players....well not so much....got to make sure you know just how special they are after doing something even relatively average you'd expect them to do for what they're paid. Annoying.

Do you prefer the emotion and external display of intensity in basketball or the relatively calm by comparison demeanor of baseball?

It would seem that this is a case of style preference no?

Personally seeing Big baby Davis drool like an idiot while flexing was an entertaining image (in the same way that a train wreck is entertaining).

This is also why "professional wrestling" has been around for years despite being fake - demonstrative personalities sell. We all know the NBA is trying to market individuals.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby nameant on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:45 pm

I honestly feel like baseball players respect the game they are playing more. Whether you prefer one or the other, it doesn't really matter to me, but you're right, the players have different attitudes. In baseball there are only so many changes they can make to the game. In baseball if you don't have the proper fundamentals, you cannot play the game, period. In basketball it's different. Everybody is so concerned about image and making "highlight" plays, it's far more individual oriented than baseball imo. Basketball players lack fundamentals, professionalism, class, and in many cases, teamwork and the hard work/dedication they should. Compare the players from the 90s to now and it's a whole different game. Basketball players now are all about "me me me" and they want everything handed to them, they want the easy way out, they feel they are owed things. Thankfully we have a few oldschool guys that still respect the game.
nameant

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:theres unwritten rules in baseball that result in a 80+ mph ball getting thrown at you when you go up to bat after you showboat

Good point....there is that. Any of you guys seen the lefty reliever on Cincy that routinely gets it up to 102-104 mph? :man4: Yikes!!!

This dude:

Albertin Aroldis Chapman de la Cruz (born February 28, 1988[1]) is a Cuban-Andorran[2] Major League Baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds. Chapman bats and throws left-handed. He is listed at 6'4" (193 cm) tall and weighing 195 pounds (88 kg). He currently holds the record for the fastest recorded pitch speed in Major League Baseball,[3] throwing 105.1 mph (169.1 km/h); however, the accuracy of this is disputed.[4] He was also clocked by one radar gun at 106 mph (170.6 km/h) in a game against Pittsburgh, although, again, there is some controversy as to the actual speed.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroldis_Chapman
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:25 pm

What about all the bat tossing and flipping home run hitters do? That doesn't count because it's on offense?
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Lakeshow24 wrote:What about all the bat tossing and flipping home run hitters do? That doesn't count because it's on offense?

Oh come on you really equate that with actual, not metaphorical, chest beating and the "primal scream" thing going on now in the league. Hardly in the same class of look at me.
LTLakerFan

Postby ojdidit123 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:What about all the bat tossing and flipping home run hitters do? That doesn't count because it's on offense?

Bahahaha are you really gonna go there? You are really going to compare tossing a bat after a home run to stuff like the NBA players do.. always dancing, chest bumping, yelling, being over the top at every turn and not showing an ounce of professionalism their just acting like they came off of some trashy street corner game of 5 on 5. What a glorious day it would be where all these guys weren't so focused on marketing their personas that they would just STFU and play like men and not little boys
ojdidit123

Postby Cleansed on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm

....are we over looking the fact that a lot of fans LIKE the extrovert behavior they see on the court? Again ...this really sounds like a preference issue being discussed.

Example - I have no interest in Lady Gaga. At all. I do know her name though and realize that she is..popular? She wears meat dresses, is involved with breast milk ice cream and talks about her sexuality . For the most part none of that interest me but i'm firmly aware that she keeps her name in the press and pop culture through these antics. There is a reason that basketball continues to grow and thrive as a sport and a lot of it has to do with the same marketing strategy. Keep people talking. Keep the eyeballs glued. If you want to see what "stoic class" gets you in this day and age look no further than Tim Duncan and the Spurs. While i love TIm OFF of the court on the court he isnt creating a ratings frenzy.

NFL - Terrell Owens - hate him all you want but you know his name and for a time he was THE it NFL player. Compare him to old school legend Jerry Rice who was a better receiver but received FAR less press and we all know why.

Boxing - Money Mayweather and his mouth and antics make a whole lot more $$ than Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather ever did

Olympian Track & Field women doing little cute sexy dances to create a buzz and get press

Female tennis players modeling for the same reason.

I don't think this is an NBA thing. I think it's an American Culture thing. As opposed to a Chinese Culture thing (you don't see that type of behavior in China generally because that's not how the culture operates).
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
Cleansed

Postby Cleansed on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Oh yeah...Skip Bayless is still employed NOT because he is a classy and quality sports anchor / source of sports information but because of his over the top buffoonery and statements. Everyone knows that.

Yet we all know his name.

HE keeps people coming back to hate or watch the train wreck.
Cleansed

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Exactly
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby GinoDB on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

well they are playing a live board game, I dont pound my chest and scream when Im winning in checkers so...
GinoDB

Postby basketboy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:50 pm

i dont see whats the big deal.. just a couple days ago i was at work, i found a document that needed a correction done to it, i made that correction, stood up, beat my chest and yelled "THATS RIGHT MOTHERF#@$%!S" everyone cheered for me. its the american way.
all i know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything.
basketboy

Postby KJ MonK on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:29 am

Football players are the most annoying showboaters to me... bumping chests and everything over a tackle on special teams... but i guess when you're in that atmosphere you HAVE to be emotionally charged out there to survive
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:51 am

I believe they're just different kinds of sports. Different sports, different reactions. There's hardly any opportunity to go crazy in baseball because of the nature of the (often boring) game they play. Standing around in the outfield scratching and spitting for 15-20 minutes at a time with no action is not going to call for special celebrations...
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby LALShowtime on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 am

I watch both sports, and NBA is just far more exciting, thus more reactions
it is also fast paced so theirs more celebrations etc.

Baseball is a slow paced game
LALShowtime

Postby Jigglin Jello on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:19 am

I think CLeansed broke down the essentials quite nicely.

I'd also add that when an NBA player makes a play, it's almost always head's up against an opposing player. Baseball players are usually make a play on a ball, with no opponent anywhere nearby. The only difference might be a runner going heads with a catcher going into home base. I don't watch baseball so I don't know if dudes get amped and maybe show some emotion then but I find it hard to believe a dude would tackle a catcher, score a home run then just walk away like nothing happened.
“We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
― Charles Bukowski
Jigglin Jello

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 am

There are showboats in baseball too but not that many. Barry Bonds...Reggie Jackson...Ozzie Smith are a some that come to mind.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:49 pm

These are valid points above. I feel though often plays that aren't even that big these players still act as if no need to take them in stride. Whatever....I get the emotion. And also the similar physical motion (but with different context) where there is a serious intense stare (sans primal scream) along with a fist to the chest motion that let's the arena and cameras know just how big the player's heart is....one of my favs......
Last edited by LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTLakerFan

Postby nameant on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't buy the whole "it's more exciting" thing. I have seen COUNTLESS players hit routine open 3 pointers and they can't go down the other end of the court without flashing 3 fingers on their hands to the crowd. That is the equivalent of an outfielder catching a routine flyball and pounding his chest. Not to mention...not all basketball is exciting. I have seen basketball games that are just as "boring" as baseball games.
nameant

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:16 pm

nameant wrote:I don't buy the whole "it's more exciting" thing. I have seen COUNTLESS players hit routine open 3 pointers and they can't go down the other end of the court without flashing 3 fingers on their hands to the crowd.

jr smith

iguesshisnameisant wrote:..not all basketball is exciting. I have seen basketball games that are just as "boring" as baseball games.

2003-2005 seasons, turrble
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Difference? NTCs and 5&10 rules. Imagine the NBA with these. Of course you could expound futher to NFL contracts... Get a hangnail. Cut.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby revgen on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

gcclaker wrote:There are showboats in baseball too but not that many. Barry Bonds...Reggie Jackson...Ozzie Smith are a some that come to mind.

IIRC Ozzie usually did his flips after he made a defensive play. I don't mind showboating if you play D.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby gcclaker on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

revgen wrote:
gcclaker wrote:There are showboats in baseball too but not that many. Barry Bonds...Reggie Jackson...Ozzie Smith are a some that come to mind.

IIRC Ozzie usually did his flips after he made a defensive play. I don't mind showboating if you play D.

Agreed... Just pointing out that baseball isn't devoid of its own characters. There was another player whose name I can't remember that caught flyballs with his bare hands.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby ben_ready on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 pm

What's funny is the first player I seen put up 3 after a basket was vlade divac. We use to laugh and say look at vlade throwing up neighborhood. Lol it was fun and something we joked about.

I always liked showoffs good or bad. They bring more interest to the game.

Tug McGraw beating of his glove, Garciaparra's at-bat routine, Mickey river's bat twirl and Sosa's after a home run salute, I loved all those things. And no baseball doesn't show-off as much as basketball, but it does not make them more professional. Yell™
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Next

Return to NBA Discussion